Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:39 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,828,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 310man View Post
Well, coming from LA, no commute is bad for me, but I will be working from home anyways. My wife is a nurse, but hopefully if we move to Vegas, she won't have to work. But, then again, we are still getting an expensive home.

Also, coming from LA, we will want the high end shopping malls withing reasonable distance, places that have stores that sell the skater apparel for my two sons and the ones that sell Victoria's Secret, Juicy, etc. for my daughter. You can take the you out of LA, but you can never take the LA out of you. So, to answer your other point, yes, status will be an issues, as it always will be with someone coming from LA. LOL. Sorry, if I sound snobby, but I just need to find an area where me and my family will fit in.
Given those criteria, I would suggest Henderson/Green Valley (Legacy in 89074, Anthem and Seven Hills in 89052 would be a good fit). The Galleria Mall has your shopping needs met, and there is also a large public skatepark in Anthem Hills. It is one of if not the best in town. There is a private skatepark in Henderson as well called Skate City. I knew the owner Josh when he was part owner of Planet Plywood behind the Rio (I've been skating since 1984). There is also a skate shop off of Eastern and 215. The most upscale shopping will be found on the strip though. The Wynn, Fashion Show Mall, Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace, etc. Some very nice high end stuff. If you're into watches look into Roman Times or Tourneau at Caesar's. There is also a authorized A. Langhe and Sohne retailer in the Wynn, although I can't remember the name offhand. I love to take the family down to that area, hit up the Fashion Show, eat some sushi at Ra, visit Penske Wynn Ferrari. Of course that is a little out of my range, but still a good time.

Don't worry about sounding snobby. I am from San Diego, so I am accustomed to a certain lifestyle as well (which unfortunately Vegas is not able to fully meet mainly due to the weather but I still love it). No reason to dumb it down if you have the means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 06:51 PM

38 posts, read 221,832 times
Thanks.

So is Summerlin kind of boring or just not as upscale?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:25 PM

5 posts, read 21,488 times
You will find it all in Henderson or Summerlin, the malls, nice hospitals, all you are asking for and then some 310man... Start packin LOL, we even have traffic on the freeway these days.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:09 PM

72 posts, read 353,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310man View Post
Thanks.

So is Summerlin kind of boring or just not as upscale?
for one with the particular interest you put forth - go to Summerlin. There are places in Henderson that would work but it is too small a venue. It has the best conventional mall...but it is plebian. You can do much better using the Boca and related malls combined with Fashion Island and Caiesars Palace.

My So Cal and very discerning wife could never be happy in the south or east. Wrong vibes. You use the strip for the heavy dollar shopping and local for all else. There are no south east equivalents to the Boca Park set or the 215 Charleston set. There really is nothing equivalent to Vintners Grill.

You will do fine in the Vineyard aor Country Rose or similar.

Schools and crime in the two are equivalent. Only class drives a climber to Summerlin.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlover View Post
for one with the particular interest you put forth - go to Summerlin. There are places in Henderson that would work but it is too small a venue. It has the best conventional mall...but it is plebian. You can do much better using the Boca and related malls combined with Fashion Island and Caiesars Palace.

My So Cal and very discerning wife could never be happy in the south or east. Wrong vibes. You use the strip for the heavy dollar shopping and local for all else. There are no south east equivalents to the Boca Park set or the 215 Charleston set. There really is nothing equivalent to Vintners Grill.

You will do fine in the Vineyard aor Country Rose or similar.

Schools and crime in the two are equivalent. Only class drives a climber to Summerlin.
I do agree that Henderson does not have a Boca Park type shopping center, but to say that Anthem CC and Seven Hills cannot accomodate the OP's particular wants and needs is not correct, IMO. Personally, given the choice between The Paseo or Seven Hills I will take Seven Hills everytime. If, however, I had the means to live in Tournament Hills, Eagle Hills, Canyon Fairways, Queensridge, The Ridges, or Red Rock CC I would be all over it. I will, on the other hand, also agree that the higher end communities in Henderson are not bunched up like Summerlin. Don't discount Henderson though. They have plenty of fine dining and shopping. Keep in mind that the OP also has concerns about his children's shopping needs as well as activities. I can speak from experience and say that Summerlin is not very skater friendly. The few skateparks around there are subpar and some entertain a rather large criminal element, although there are a few skateshops around there as well.

I will say this, the OP misunderstood what I wrote previously. Summerlin is more upscale on the whole than the city of Henderson. There are parts of Henderson though that are on par with Summerlin (Roma Hills, MacDonald Highlands, Anthem CC, Seven Hills, Legacy). I don't know that I would say that Summerlin is boring either. I honestly would love to live there or in the certain Henderson neighborhoods that I mentioned.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:53 PM

72 posts, read 353,018 times
We are not very far apart. The question is Summerlin versus Henderson...Not Seven Hills vesus the Vineyards or the Ridges. I would also note that Anthem in general has taken a terrible beating in the melt down. Much worse than Summerlin. There are areas in Summerlin impacted too but a smaller part of twon and more diverse.

The argument in this case is the Yuppie quotient. And I think Summerlin out Yuppies just about anywhere.

If what you want is a house and comfortable life you go for Section 10 or 4 or the Scotch 80s or Lone Mountain. Those areas provide vastly more bang for the buck than anywhere in Henderson or Summerlin. Get yourself a nice provide half acre and cocoon against the world.

But that is not what our OP wanted. He wants bragging rights as well....

Old 04-30-2008, 07:35 PM

278 posts, read 1,081,205 times
Most who live in Green Valley/ Henderson prefer it because that is what appeals to them. The same thing goes for people who live in Summerlin. Before I got here my husband told me all about the snobbery thing between the two. Very funny. Green Valley and Summerlin are pretty interchangeable. GV has The District, Summerlin will be getting theirs built eventually. Both areas have many of the same food establishments, shopping etc. Check out both areas, see what appeals to you. One will more than the other. For us it was the north part of Summerlin. The tree lined streets with wide sidewalks for biking and walking are stunning. Everything within walking distance, but yet not to close that you hear a lot of traffic. That's one thing that surprised me when we got here. At night time it is peaceful and quiet. Living so close to the mountains, just puts my heart at such peace everyday when I see them. There was even snow on them this winter. Very neat to see. My husband can bike ride to Red Rock Canyon from here (not me though).
Like I said check out both areas.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlover View Post
We are not very far apart. The question is Summerlin versus Henderson...Not Seven Hills vesus the Vineyards or the Ridges. I would also note that Anthem in general has taken a terrible beating in the melt down. Much worse than Summerlin. There are areas in Summerlin impacted too but a smaller part of twon and more diverse.

The argument in this case is the Yuppie quotient. And I think Summerlin out Yuppies just about anywhere.

If what you want is a house and comfortable life you go for Section 10 or 4 or the Scotch 80s or Lone Mountain. Those areas provide vastly more bang for the buck than anywhere in Henderson or Summerlin. Get yourself a nice provide half acre and cocoon against the world.

But that is not what our OP wanted. He wants bragging rights as well....

Point taken. I also like Scotch 80's and Section 10 very much as well.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 11,996 times
Cool It Is The Governance In An Hoa That Counts

There are many nice areas to live, both in Summerlin as well as the Henderson side of town. What I have found is that your lifestyle is severely affected by those "who rule". Those in power on the HOA boards do not want to relinquish their power, tend to have created so many rules and regulations that they have their community in a choke hold, and view any newcomer who dares to ask questions as a trouble maker. The process becomes down and dirty. One would think that with all the construction defects in this entire Las Vegas Valley, they would all band together for the greater benefit of all the homeowners to solve the problems. Sadly, that is not the case. It is not enough to volunteer to serve on a board of directors. It is how you serve, whom you serve and not to be self serving.
Many of us have moved here to enjoy "the good life" after working hard all our lives. I suspect that many who won't relinquish their power become drunk on it and were "Joe blow average" in their previous lives.

Finding a community that appeals to you is fine, but I caution all of you to read their governing documents, check out if they are in compliance with the state NRS guidelines and most importantly check their legal history for lawsuits, reserves and budgets. This will give you a pretty good idea what kind of community you are moving to. These types of problems have encompassed communities such as Sun City Summerlin, McDonald Ranch and Sun City Anthem to name just a few.

Last edited by SKOKIE; 05-01-2008 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 05-02-2008, 07:29 AM

15 posts, read 42,693 times
How about the southwest corner of the city/Spring Valley area? I'm transferring to the Vegas branch of my company, and they're located way down on S. Tenaya, by 215. Everywhere I read suggests we move to Henderson or Summerlin and stay away from north and eastern parts of the city, but I never read anything on the SW region. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas