Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:00 AM

27 posts, read 161,449 times

Advertisements

Looking for a safe reasonably priced 55 plus community in the Las Vegas area (or surrounding communities). There seem to be quite a lot to chose from! Any recommendations or info. you can share? Thanks!

Old 04-27-2008, 12:45 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al123 View Post
reasonably priced
Can't read your mind . . #bedrooms . . square feet . . $ per square foot? Which communities have you already rejected . . and why?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:22 PM

72 posts, read 353,682 times
Sun City Summerlin - big and older. 170K to 1 million

Sun City Anthem - newer and a little smaller. Same price range Heavy foreclosure impact

Sun City McDonald Ranch - middle aged lower price point little smaller

Sun City Aliante - Mid sized newer lower price point. Heavy foreclosure impact

Sun City Mesquite. Moderate price point Present construction

Siena Middle sized, expensive guard gated. Some foreclosure impact

Ardiente - Lower end. Currently building.

Half dozen other smaller places.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:26 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Also look into Las Prados. I believe it is a little more reasonably priced, but I may be wrong.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:31 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Also look into Las Prados. I believe it is a little more reasonably priced, but I may be wrong.
I have a few pools in the community. It is guard gated and has a golf course too. Its at Decatur/Ann/Lone Mountain/Jones area. I would highly recomend it.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:40 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
LVlover was quite accurate.

I have done work in most of those communities and met many many homeowners and from experience by conversation I can tell you something else.

The Sun City Summerlin is older but probably the nicest. Not only nicest but it is so much more layed back. The HOA police are not out looking over your wall or measuring your grass every other day.

The Sun City Anthem as LVlover said is quite loaded with foreclosures but those who remain spend much of their free retirement time fighting. The HOA commies there are so very very strict and when it gets that strict it tends to pit neighbor against neighbor. There is so much squabbling down there that it would just spoil your retirement. Much of this area is hilly which gives many lots a great view. If one person plants a tree or puts up a fence, it ruins the view for dozens of people so this is a common squabble down there.

Also the Sun City Summerlin recreation areas, again although older, there is so much more to do. And you dont have to travel as far for groceries or whatever you need as the Anthem one. The Anthem one will have the better restaurants nearby but that is about all I have nice to say about this one.

Good luck in your retirement...

Old 04-27-2008, 04:50 PM

307 posts, read 927,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlover View Post
Sun City Summerlin - big and older. 170K to 1 million

Sun City Anthem - newer and a little smaller. Same price range Heavy foreclosure impact

Sun City McDonald Ranch - middle aged lower price point little smaller

Sun City Aliante - Mid sized newer lower price point. Heavy foreclosure impact

Sun City Mesquite. Moderate price point Present construction

Siena Middle sized, expensive guard gated. Some foreclosure impact

Ardiente - Lower end. Currently building.

Half dozen other smaller places.

Is it true that the older the community, the older the demographic of the residents?

Old 04-27-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEPNYC View Post
Is it true that the older the community, the older the demographic of the residents?
They age for the first 8 or 10 years than begin dropping. Eventually a balance is reached. Sun City Summerlin is clearly dropping and rather fast at the moment...will not last however. Will probably balance out in 5 or 10 years.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:46 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
When the retirement community is new, at least one buyer must be 55. Then on resale, one only needs to be 50.

You can read the SC Anthem monthly HOA info. on the internet. I have not yet found any of the others posted but it gives one some good insight. One of the communities, either Summerlin or Anthem, owns their own golf coarse while the other just maintains theirs. Lots are smaller in Anthem, than Summerlin, but one advantage in Anthem is being it was built later, the floor plans are more in keeping with today's trends. Instead of dividing your allotted square footage between both a living room and family room, Anthem's generally just have a large great room.

Solera is another community, also a part of Anthem, but separate. Their floor plans are different, generally much smaller only going up to 1700 sq. ft., and instead of 4 pools, there is only one. I still have not been able to find out if it is an outdoor pool or indoor?

The various floorplans for each community are shown on the internet by keying in the names of the area. SC Anthem has a great deal of bank owned property listed and the asset in that is individual sellers must compete to some extent. All in all, SC Summerlin ends up being much more pricey for the square footage. It is also gated while Anthem had to take down their gates to allow access to Westmark for their building of Terra Bella. Terra Bella will be a 3 story condo project, 55+, with it's own senior facilities and very high prices in the mid 300's and much higher for about 1800 square feet.

If it were a perfect world for me, I would find an Anthem floorplan in Summerlin with the cool exterior styling of the Summerlin floorplans, their larger lots and a great view.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
When the retirement community is new, at least one buyer must be 55. Then on resale, one only needs to be 50.

You can read the SC Anthem monthly HOA info. on the internet. I have not yet found any of the others posted but it gives one some good insight. One of the communities, either Summerlin or Anthem, owns their own golf coarse while the other just maintains theirs. Lots are smaller in Anthem, than Summerlin, but one advantage in Anthem is being it was built later, the floor plans are more in keeping with today's trends. Instead of dividing your allotted square footage between both a living room and family room, Anthem's generally just have a large great room.

Solera is another community, also a part of Anthem, but separate. Their floor plans are different, generally much smaller only going up to 1700 sq. ft., and instead of 4 pools, there is only one. I still have not been able to find out if it is an outdoor pool or indoor?

The various floorplans for each community are shown on the internet by keying in the names of the area. SC Anthem has a great deal of bank owned property listed and the asset in that is individual sellers must compete to some extent. All in all, SC Summerlin ends up being much more pricey for the square footage. It is also gated while Anthem had to take down their gates to allow access to Westmark for their building of Terra Bella. Terra Bella will be a 3 story condo project, 55+, with it's own senior facilities and very high prices in the mid 300's and much higher for about 1800 square feet.

If it were a perfect world for me, I would find an Anthem floorplan in Summerlin with the cool exterior styling of the Summerlin floorplans, their larger lots and a great view.
Nope. It is 80% 55 by federal law. SC Summerlin uses the 20% to cover widows and such that are underage. They will not allow children however to get the variance. Each case is a special board action. In some cases the builders initially sold 10 or 15% to over 50s but it is very risky later.

Sun City Anthem started out 10% or more higher per square foot than SC Summerlin. The impact of the foreclosures and the builder cutting price has driven Anthem under Summerlin. Neither Sun City is gated and they never were. Siena is gated.

The floorplans are quite similar. Third phase Summerlin and Anthem are very close to identical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas