Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:20 AM

818 posts, read 3,693,194 times

Advertisements

I had some BBQ at Cook's yesteday. It's located on Western/Oakey. The hot links were the star of the meal, but everything was good. Potato salad hit the spot as well.

Speaking of Albuquerque restaurants, I could go for a rack from Quarters BBQ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 10:44 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,291,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
Stop Stop Stop You Guys Are Making Me Hungry!!! For Good Bbq And I Know Vegas Does"nt Have The Good Stuff You Guys Are Talking About!
We'll just have to suffer I guess. I've spent my life suffering over the fact that you can't get a hot dog outside of a 25 mile radius of Clarksburg, West(by God) Virginia.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:32 AM

99 posts, read 415,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
We'll just have to suffer I guess. I've spent my life suffering over the fact that you can't get a hot dog outside of a 25 mile radius of Clarksburg, West(by God) Virginia.
Buzz, I personally think Costco has great dogs, but then I've never been to Virginia.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,291,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjason View Post
Buzz, I personally think Costco has great dogs, but then I've never been to Virginia.
I've never been to Virginia either (he lied), but I was born and raised in WEST BY GOD Virginia. Check your history books. WV became a state June 20, 1863, because the western mountain counties of Virginia refused to secede from the union. The following year Nevada also became a state. Lincoln needed the votes from both states so he gladly signed off on it.

That said...there are no hot dogs anywhere like the hot dogs in Clarksburg, WEST VIRGINIA, which are a gourmet delight. Everything else is just a weenie on a bun. The hot dogs in Clarksburg ALWAYS come with mustard on a steamed bun, steamed or boiled (but never grilled) weenie, covered with a large spoonful (not overwhelmed) of a special, Italiano inspired, chili sauce, and sprinkled with chopped onions. If it doesn't sound special, wait until you've tasted the combination of ingredients which all together make it incredibly delicious. Hot dogs are a food group unto themselves in most parts of WV, but the best are in Clarksburg where they were invented. Also we never call them chili dogs as that would be redundant, and we'uns never waste words. You ask for a hot dog, unless you tell them to leave off the onions, that's the way you will get them. Do anything different to them and you'll be ostracised. Although in the southern part of the state, which is almost like a different state, they put coleslaw on their hot dogs and it's starting to creep into the Clarksburg area. But it's a dangerous thing to do to a good hot dog around those parts.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:41 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,410,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
I had some BBQ at Cook's yesteday. It's located on Western/Oakey. The hot links were the star of the meal, but everything was good. Potato salad hit the spot as well.

Speaking of Albuquerque restaurants, I could go for a rack from Quarters BBQ!
the bbq there was good, too. but i would just love one of the pastrami and cheese and green chile tortilla things they had...so good.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:11 PM

19 posts, read 78,274 times
You're arrogant and ignorant both. People from CA have no taste in food??? 65% of the California population is hispanic! most of the food in CA is hot spicy mexican food that will melt your gums and authentic baja style cooking.

Bland tongues also? The Mexicans here have more flavor than your bland caucoid tongue will ever have. Some of the best food in the U.S is from NY and CA. And what do you consider good food oh wise one?

You're judging and generalizing an entire state by some fast food corporate chains that might be in Vegas that are outta LA. CA has tons of independent places to eat at that are family owned and culturally diverse. I'm not talking about In n out burger or del taco. Tex Mex and New Mex food taste like microwaveable gringo food from Albertsons :P Pace Picante Salsa and Mission Tortillas ain't real mexican food amigo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
There are several Tony Roma's. They frequently get picked as the best BBQ in the RJ poll which proves one of my biggest complaints...people that move here from places like California have no taste in good food. Tony Roma's food is bland. Unfortunately, most food in Las Vegas is bland which seems to please most of the Californians. There are just no unique tastes here. No local specialty. Most restaurants here are chains that try to please everyone by being ordinary. The only ones that are a little different are Asian, and a few Italian. Even the Mexican restaurants tone it down because not many people that come here have developed a taste for spicy food. Even our local Garduño's food is not as hot as it is in Albuquerque. We need to come up with something that is ours alone in Las Vegas. The closest we have to our own may be the desserts at Jerry's Nugget. But I am starting to see more locally owned restaurants like TC's Rib Crib, so maybe there is hope.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:45 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,697,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal07 View Post
You're arrogant and ignorant both. People from CA have no taste in food??? 65% of the California population is hispanic! most of the food in CA is hot spicy mexican food that will melt your gums and authentic baja style cooking.

Bland tongues also? The Mexicans here have more flavor than your bland caucoid tongue will ever have. Some of the best food in the U.S is from NY and CA. And what do you consider good food oh wise one?

You're judging and generalizing an entire state by some fast food corporate chains that might be in Vegas that are outta LA. CA has tons of independent places to eat at that are family owned and culturally diverse. I'm not talking about In n out burger or del taco. Tex Mex and New Mex food taste like microwaveable gringo food from Albertsons :P Pace Picante Salsa and Mission Tortillas ain't real mexican food amigo.

Well remember that Ca also has a large asian population. I've lived in areas where it is 65% asian. CA has some of the best asian food in the USA. The best Thai, Vietnamese, dimsum, filipino food can be found in CA. That is one thing that I miss about CA is the great asian food. Cant touch the chinese restaurants in China Town (SF)

Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,410,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal07 View Post

while i don't agree w/ buzz's characterization of californians and food, i have to take extreme exception w/ your slam of new mexican food.

from your statement i have to assume that you never actually have eaten it (pace and mission have no place in a new mexican meal). have you been to NM?...because unless you've eaten it there, you have never really tasted it (which really blows because i so rarely get back there). actually, you can't even compare mexican and new mexican foods directly - they are as different from each other as cuisine from michoacan is from the yucatan.

on the most basic level, new mexican food will almost always be spicier than "mexican"....the core ingredient, the heart of NM cooking, is the chile. and not a poblano or an ancho or a jalapeno, but a unique NM chile. the food, no, the culture revolves around it. you get salsa vede in NM, and tomatillos are not the main ingredient...the NM green is. a chile relleno can be one of the hottest things on the menu...because it is a hot chile pepper covered in hot chile sauce. the only thing not hot on a basic level are the sopapillas (god i miss those)..but you can get them stuffed w/ hot stuff.

my only complaint w/ the mexican food in LA (actually food in general there) was that it was rarely ever spicy enough...even if i asked for it to be extra extra no messing around extra hot. it was usually really good, but rarely ever HOT. granted, there were some great salsa bars floating around (i miss the evil orange habenero and the awesome guajillo i often found) to liven things up, but to me, when you ask/plead/beg for the food to be extra hot, it should be.

i lived in LA for 3 years and was nearly always disappointed in my quest for spicy hot. thai, indian, mexican, you name it.....i rarely could get them to make it to the level i consider hot. (but AAA has it right...i have never had better tasting thai, chinese, korean, vietnamese, etc. than in CA)

and what happened to this thread being about BBQ?

lets talk korean bbq...any one have any good suggestions?

Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,697,808 times
I havent tried a korean bbq restaurant here, but i am sure there are some good ones on spring mountain rd.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:39 PM

103 posts, read 326,635 times
Can't wait to check out the bbq vegas has to offer. Moving out there in Aug. I am so gonna miss Sonny's BBQ which is south east only place. Anyone know if I can get sonny's sweet bbq sauce at the local walmart? They have it in walmart and sams clubs here in fla, need to know if I should stock up before the move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas