U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-07-2008, 04:04 PM

7 posts, read 12,204 times

Advertisements

I have two cats that will need to live outdoors in a fenced backyard, since the family member I'm staying with is allergic. I'm thinking about having a small shed built and install a swamp cooler for the summer mths. I know vegas has extreme hot days and wanted to learn from the locals what you do to make pets more comfortable in the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 04:19 PM

15,757 posts, read 20,737,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine.MI View Post
I have two cats that will need to live outdoors in a fenced backyard, since the family member I'm staying with is allergic. I'm thinking about having a small shed built and install a swamp cooler for the summer mths. I know vegas has extreme hot days and wanted to learn from the locals what you do to make pets more comfortable in the heat.
They need shade and water. The feral who lives on my back patio has been here now for more than 12 years and is going strong. And she is a long hair..Has a supply of clean water rigged to the irrigation system and gets half a can of cat food twice a day.

She spends most of the really hot time hunkered down in the dense bushes beneath a palm tree. Has access to the mildly cooler garage but does not use it except for the litter box. She often hunts in the high heat. Must thnk the birds are slower then. She has lost her edge though. Only the wounded fall to her nowadays.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:09 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,855,524 times
Having a small shed with a fan would be a good idea. The sun can be brutal on animals.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:12 PM

11,498 posts, read 20,183,562 times
A. It will take a really, really high fence to keep cats from escaping.
2. If they are house cats, it isn't fair to the cats to be suddenly moved from cool, familiar, and presumably safe, surroundings to the desert where they will have to stay outside in 115 heat now is it?
D. There are thousands of feral cats in Las Vegas that will entice them to run away from home, especially since they won't recognize the area they are now forced to live in. Cats always try to return home. I still grieve a little bit over the lose of the world's best cat because of a move in 1981 that didn't take his needs into consideration well enough. We think he simply tried to go back to the old neighborhood and didn't make it.

Have you given any thought to having someone there adopt them or look after them for you? We had to do that when we moved to Las Vegas. He knew the old neighborhood and just stayed with our neighbor who looked after him. We missed him for years but it was what was best for him. Cats have their territory and as long as there is food there they don't want us to move them to another one.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:16 PM

8,809 posts, read 15,153,447 times
I wouldn't recommend making cats live outside. Better to replace the family member with a person more tolerant of cats. If you can't do that for whatever reasons, then make the kitties as comfortable as possible. The summer heat can be really brutal, especially inside a shed or garage. If the cats are used to living indoors, abruptly changing their living habits can be quite stressful.

My cats are indoor only. If i have a family member or a friend come to visit that is allergic, I would make them stay outside. Or at least in the garage. Ok, maybe a hotel. But they have to pay for it.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:45 PM

359 posts, read 980,653 times
my two rotts can handle the winter, but summer is out of the question. they need to be indoors and im sure cats would too. having a pool helps if u have dogs so u can just toss them in once in a while
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas