Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 14,046 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

This summer I'm going to visit Las Vegas. However I heard and read (also on these forums) that crime is really bad. Others have said that it's okay and nothing worse from any other big city.

What I was wondering, is.. is there anyone that can list all the bad places and even perhaps draw the bad areas on a map for me with MS Paint or whatever? Because, as far as I know (I'm obviously wrong), The Strip and Downtown are the only good places. I'm sure it can't be that bad.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 04:49 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegje View Post
Hello!

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

This summer I'm going to visit Las Vegas. However I heard and read (also on these forums) that crime is really bad. Others have said that it's okay and nothing worse from any other big city.

What I was wondering, is.. is there anyone that can list all the bad places and even perhaps draw the bad areas on a map for me with MS Paint or whatever? Because, as far as I know (I'm obviously wrong), The Strip and Downtown are the only good places. I'm sure it can't be that bad.

Thanks for your help!
Here you go....

Crime in Las Vegas

And the strip and downtown are quite safe. However there are a whole lot of people there. And where you have a whole lot of people you get a whole lot of crime. And we don't count the tourists in the populaiton numbers...so...

Old 05-12-2008, 04:53 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,659 times
you familiar w/ being in a city? if so, then you should be just fine here.

if you are here for vacation stuff, you pbby won't end up in and of the quote unquote bad areas neway. hard to really draw a map w/o being too general on some things, but stick to the major roads to get around and you won't end up in nething you can't handle . there is some sketch outside of the downtown and the strip and around UNLV...easy to avoid esp if driving (you said summer so i will assume you will be traveling around LV by car). basically in those area, if you get away from the glitz and the light, you've maybe gone somewhere you shouldn't.

use you head and have fun.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:30 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
There is no part of Las Vegas that you should be afraid to venture into by car at anytime except for a really bad part of North Las Vegas, and chances are you wouldn't be there anyway, and if you accidentally found yourself there you'd probably recognize it as a bad area and get out. There are some places that it wouldn't be a good idea to walk in at night, like don't attempt to walk between downtown and the Strip. It's too far anyway, but at night part of the way you run into some bad characters. If you are here as a tourist you probably won't venture off the Strip anyway, or if you go downtown take the bus or a cab. There are many cities in this country far more dangerous than Las Vegas, such as Washington, DC; New York City; Detroit; New Orleans; even Los Angeles. Las Vegas is no more dangerous than any other city this size.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:41 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,710,395 times
I think most people that are worried about crime are those who come from small town USA and everyone knows each other. When everyone knows each other, crime tends to be very low because you will know who did it

Old 05-12-2008, 07:07 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
the bad part IS NOT NORTH LAS VEGAS, it is the Northern part of LAS VEGAS... lets get that straight first.....stay away from streets with letters e.g D Street etc.. and careful just north of the Stratosphere...

However, Las Vegas is just like any other city

Old 05-12-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
I think most people that are worried about crime are those who come from small town USA and everyone knows each other. When everyone knows each other, crime tends to be very low because you will know who did it
I don't think it is any lower in small towns statistically speaking. I come from a small town, and although we didn't have a lot of crimes number wise, percentage wise I think it was the same as other similar places. And now that that town has dwindled to only about half the size as it was when I was growing up, crime seems to be worse. Crime everywhere is worse than it was 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago. Crime is worse because, starting right after WW II, psychiatry got into the schools and prevented teachers from teaching right from wrong so that the concept would only be the domain of the psych. At least that's what they said they were going to do at their first two conventions.

The first batch of people affected by this are now grandparents who had been taught right from wrong at home but had it taken away at school. They weren't 100% able to teach their kids who are now parents, and grandparents themselves, so with each new generation the concept was almost completely lost. If you know right from wrong you are probably old or didn't go to school; at least not in this country; although it is a world wide phenomenon. I'm not a religious person, but I at least know that religions were teaching the concept until they were run out of schools, and practically run out of our lives. Even ministers are victims of the schools and don't know the concept. Look at all the weirdness that goes on in "modern" churches.

If you want to turn this situation around, outlaw psychiatry, demand that schools go back to teaching good social behavior, and not the anything goes aberrated behavior that they now teach, and stop brainwashing our kids with their aberrated social agendas.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
the bad part IS NOT NORTH LAS VEGAS, it is the Northern part of LAS VEGAS... lets get that straight first.....stay away from streets with letters e.g D Street etc.. and careful just north of the Stratosphere...

However, Las Vegas is just like any other city
Uh, excuse me. Which one of us lives here? The most dangerous neighborhood in the Valley is Donna St. and E. Carey Ave. in NORTH Las Vegas.

Map of Donna St & E Carey Ave North Las Vegas, NV by MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Donna+St+%26+E+Carey+Ave+North+Las+Vegas+NV+89030/ - broken link)

There are other areas that are almost as dangerous at night, but Donna Street is dangerous anytime.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:50 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Uh, excuse me. Which one of us lives here? The most dangerous neighborhood in the Valley is Donna St. and E. Carey Ave. in NORTH Las Vegas.

Map of Donna St & E Carey Ave North Las Vegas, NV by MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Donna+St+%26+E+Carey+Ave+North+Las+Vegas+NV+89030/ - broken link)

There are other areas that are almost as dangerous at night, but Donna Street is dangerous anytime.
Don't think so. E Fremont and Sierra Vista both are considerably worse. None of the other areas get close.

Crime of all sorts is driven by drugs.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:58 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
I Do Live Here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas