Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:41 PM

103 posts, read 327,059 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for their kind words of encouragement. I am excited about this trip and scared at the same time. Does anyone have any advice for how to help my dog adjust to the climate? Also advice for my husband, he is a warehouse supervisor for a Budweiser distributor. Basically he makes sure the semi's get loaded with the beer to be delivered to stores and bars. He has forklift experience and has had a CDL for 9 years. He's currently making $45 a year and we expect close to a 50% decrease in salary but we're hoping with 9 years exp and 2 as supervisor he might get a little better than someone with no experience. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 05:07 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
what kinda of dog? (breed)

indoor or outdoor or both?

as long as he/she has plenty of water, it will adapt fine. my guys love it here (they dig hanging out in the sun even when it is HOT, provided they can escape back into the shade/AC and get some water).

Old 05-15-2008, 08:29 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
You are not bad. And I did not take your OP as bad. The only bad people here are that dynaglide Las Vegas Policeman who sits on here day and night defending this cesspool with his balls and his blood. That is quite the pathetic life by normal peoples standards. The ignore button works wonders for him.

Enough of that fool. No offense taken from you at all. You seemed pretty gong ho and I explained how it is truthfully. If you listen to dynaglide he thinks this is paradise with 77 virgins at his every whim. It is not. We have a horrible economy here. Worse then the rest of the country but on par with what you are seeing in Florida and also Calif and Mich are as bad off as us.

What ever the deal. Good luck to you. No hard feelings at all. Dont let 6king get you down. He thinks he is king around here but most of us put him in his place. You will find your place. You have the motivation to succeed.

[+] Rate this post positively
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

Old 05-15-2008, 10:15 PM

103 posts, read 327,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
what kinda of dog? (breed)

indoor or outdoor or both?

as long as he/she has plenty of water, it will adapt fine. my guys love it here (they dig hanging out in the sun even when it is HOT, provided they can escape back into the shade/AC and get some water).
He's a Jack Russell Terrier mix (very large size for the breed 30lbs) He has never been left alone outside but I hope to get him a nice fenced yard to work out all of that JRT energy in the next couple of years. My worry is the hot concrete on his paws and possible sun damage to his eyes. We are floridians but I'm sure the climate will be a big change for all of us. (I actually can't wait cause the fl humidity makes it impossible to do anything with my naturally oily hair, it goes flat 2 seconds out the door)

Old 05-15-2008, 11:45 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You are not bad. And I did not take your OP as bad. The only bad people here are that dynaglide Las Vegas Policeman who sits on here day and night defending this cesspool with his balls and his blood. That is quite the pathetic life by normal peoples standards. The ignore button works wonders for him.

Enough of that fool. No offense taken from you at all. You seemed pretty gong ho and I explained how it is truthfully. If you listen to dynaglide he thinks this is paradise with 77 virgins at his every whim. It is not. We have a horrible economy here. Worse then the rest of the country but on par with what you are seeing in Florida and also Calif and Mich are as bad off as us.

What ever the deal. Good luck to you. No hard feelings at all. Dont let 6king get you down. He thinks he is king around here but most of us put him in his place. You will find your place. You have the motivation to succeed.

[+] Rate this post positively
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]
Wait you are giving them encouragement but putting down the people that were already doing that! Make up you mind. Encourage or discourage! People need to put you in your place, because you really need to move because you are not happy and it seems you hardly ever have anything nice to say! This is a good place, but it does take work!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Wait you are giving them encouragement but putting down the people that were already doing that! Make up you mind. Encourage or discourage! People need to put you in your place, because you really need to move because you are not happy and it seems you hardly ever have anything nice to say! This is a good place, but it does take work!
Giving encouragement includes telling the truth. Good or bad. When some one asks specific questions, and some one answers with info that not everyone agrees with, then they have the problem.

If you were ever to see all my posts I spend a great deal of time helping people in many catagories. Check today for example outside this thread. Even in the LV threads. Does my REP score look like it comes from an idiot to harrasses people? Funny thing is I got 2 more REPs from my last half wit post partially apologizing to massagemama. She has spunk and motivation. Dispite less then perfect conditions here she is coming even if it is through a brick wall. I like that. I also greatly respect her profession. I am a regular patron of a reflexology massage woman for 6 years now. I just told her she is going to have a problem getting a job in that field for now.

Sorry to her if I sounded strong. Im a strong person and look down upon Sheep that follow the brown hole.

And bugbully I do not believe one should have to work at making a place work for one. If a place is that bad that some one has to work to fit in then the place is not that good.

So thats my story and Im sticking to it.

Good day to you bugbully. Are you in pest control?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:32 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Are you in pest control?

Come On you are really asking that?

It just seemed weird that one tread you are a total you know what, and then all of a sudden there are people that you don't like putting more encouraging posts, and your attitude changes!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massagemamma View Post
He's a Jack Russell Terrier mix (very large size for the breed 30lbs) He has never been left alone outside but I hope to get him a nice fenced yard to work out all of that JRT energy in the next couple of years. My worry is the hot concrete on his paws and possible sun damage to his eyes. We are floridians but I'm sure the climate will be a big change for all of us. (I actually can't wait cause the fl humidity makes it impossible to do anything with my naturally oily hair, it goes flat 2 seconds out the door)
Your concern is correct. Especially during the dog days of summer. You can not walk the dog on concrete, even at night be carefull. We have what they call radiational heating. The sun bakes the concrete all day and when the sun goes down the concrete continues to give off lots of heat just like charcoal in a grill. So even 5 hours after the sun goes down in June and July it remains over 100 degrees.

You also will have to learn to use your shirt tail to open your car door. The handle gets quite hot. Most construction workers have that tell tale burn line across their belly from leaning foward into the back of their pick up truck and their shirt goes up exposing their naked belly to the tail gate. That hurts.

The good news is we have many....about 8 that I can think of dog parks. Dogs are just fine on the grass but again.....remember: life does not begin here till after that aweful sun goes down. Then and only then do the dog parks get quite crowded. People dont go out during the day except to go to work. Things like shopping, dog parks, eating out are generally done when the sun goes down.

When I lived back east the hottest time of day was about 1-2PM. Here it is easily around 4-5PM. When that sun gets low in the sky it will burn the
corneas in your eyes into liquid.

You too have a great day....................

Old 05-16-2008, 12:48 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
The lack of humidity generally makes it better for people and animals to cope with the heat. All that humidity in the south makes people sick. You probably would never have a heat stroke here. At least you aren't as likely to as you are in Florida. And most back yards in Las Vegas are fenced so he'll be in heaven if he has always been kept inside. Make sure you get a doggy door so he can go in and out as he pleases. The sun won't hurt him any more than it would in Florida.

BTW: Why are you postulating that your husband won't do as well here as he does in Florida? The pay scale in Florida is terrible. It should actually be better here, and he should be able to do the same thing here that he does there. You get what you decide you're going to get so it's just as easy to decide you'll do better than that you'll do worse. Be positive. And there are all kinds of spas here. Massage Envy is always opening a new place, and there are plenty of other spas all over town and inside the hotels.

You said your husband is coming here for health issues. Please tell me it isn't for respiratory problems. Nevada and Arizona have the highest rates of respiratory illness in the country due to lack of humidity which can make you vulnerable to allergies, asthma, and bronchial infections. Yet doctors back east still tell people to go to dry climates like Nevada and Arizona. It's not a good idea and they don't know what they're talking about. Now if he has arthritis or something that's a different story. This will be good for him.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:33 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for their kind words of encouragement. I am excited about this trip and scared at the same time. Does anyone have any advice for how to help my dog adjust to the climate? Also advice for my husband, he is a warehouse supervisor for a Budweiser distributor. Basically he makes sure the semi's get loaded with the beer to be delivered to stores and bars. He has forklift experience and has had a CDL for 9 years. He's currently making $45 a year and we expect close to a 50% decrease in salary but we're hoping with 9 years exp and 2 as supervisor he might get a little better than someone with no experience. Any ideas?
There is no reason that you're husband can't expect a very similar wage with a Class A. Does he have any endorsements? There are a few driver jobs around, tanker and Haz-Mat endorsements would help. If he has hydraulic end dump, dump and pup, side dump, or belly dump experience that wouold be helpful as well. If he is insistent on working for a beverage distributor, try Southern Nevada Wine and Spirits. Otherwise he could drive for Apex, which pays very well, or he could drive a heavy equipment service truck for one of the construction companies. I used to drive a 10 wheel dump truck and operate a hydraulic excavator and I made between $48K and $55K a year, depending on how busy the company was as I was on piece work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas