Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:37 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times

Advertisements

It's the end of the world as we know it. Toll roads are the worst idea any state ever came up with. I feel violated every time I have to pay a toll in another state, so if I can I'll fight them here. ReviewJournal.com - News - BUDGET FALLOUT: Toll road plan OK'd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 10:04 AM

99 posts, read 416,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
It's the end of the world as we know it. Toll roads are the worst idea any state ever came up with. I feel violated every time I have to pay a toll in another state, so if I can I'll fight them here. ReviewJournal.com - News - BUDGET FALLOUT: Toll road plan OK'd
Buzz, I tend to agree with you on most things, but I have to admit that taking the 133 to the 241 (two toll roads here in cuckoo land) gets me over to the 91 and on to the 15 about 45 minutes faster than sticking to the traditional freeways. I think it costs me maybe $3.50 and turns a 5 hour drive to Vegas into about 4.

The only problem I have with toll roads is the fact that they disrupt the natural habitats of the animals living where the roads go. I'm generally anti progress in terms of building more strip malls, Wal-Marts, roads, etc., but the tolls get me where I'm going more quickly. Overall, I'm for them.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:36 AM

45 posts, read 273,928 times
Toll Roads pay for the road themselves... This way the upkeep is paid for by the people who travel them, not everyone in the state... If you oppose the toll road then don't drive it... There are alot mor long and arduous ways around toll roads, and at almost 3.75 a gallon, im sure you won't mind wasting about an extra hour or so avoiding the toll road.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:37 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Betcha a $ to a donut that ol Gov Jim figures out how to move ALL of the toll money to Northern Nevada

I'm begining to believe we NEED to have a Gov. Oscar

Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 PM

391 posts, read 1,713,381 times
Yeah, but aren't they actually testing toll lanes on the 215 and 15?

Stupid, stupid idea. I guess if it's a camera so people don't have to stop it could work, but normally you have to slow and those areas are absolutely on the bubble of becoming nightmare traffic jam. All the lanes are basically at full capacity, so this is destined to be a disastrous idea. If that lane doesn't run at full capacity, everything else will become a standstill. So then you'll have to pay, which will eliminate any benefit. Basically, about half the drivers will have to pay. Holdout issue. There's no benefit to paying, but some have to to keep things stable. Horrible horrible horrible idea.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:56 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
They are stupid
I don't care if it shaves 5 mins or 45 mins off a commute,I will only use one if there is an emergency.

Vegas just lost a few "hero" points with this one.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:01 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
The 3 total supporters of this toll road say it will decrease traffic on those roads. Huh? Do they mean that drivers will get off and now travel the side roads instead? How does this help anything? Besides, is it legal to put a toll on a federal highway (15) that this state has no jurisdiction over except to enforce laws on?

If they really want to improve traffic flow all they have to do is synchronize the damn red lights. They claim that will cost $2 million and they dont have it but yet they seemed to miraculously find $14 million to put in those useless
ridiculous blinking lights on the on-ramps that back cars up onto the main roads. It has been about a year since they installed them things and at this writing several have already been abandoned because they create havoc.

It's all a scam. Just another trick way to raise revenue by extorting more money from us. Perhaps they could listen to 74% of the voters who say YES to a State Lottery. A lottery is just another tax but at least it is a tax we pay by choice.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:21 AM

391 posts, read 1,713,381 times
They need a bypass,....They need to get the trucks off the 15 and 215.....But what do I know?

Old 05-17-2008, 03:48 AM

638 posts, read 2,242,915 times
We don't need toll roads in Vegas. Its seems like very small slivers of the highway that is proposed and the construction will just cause a mess. Why cant we just impose a 15 or 25 cent taxi tax to help fill the shortfall?

Place the burden on the tourists. I'm not saying to screw them on everything, because things are getting too pricey for them anyway, but just some gentle taxes on stuff like taxis, rental cars, etc... things the tourists use. Would they even notice?

Old 05-17-2008, 03:56 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Whoever thought toll roads was a good idea was an idiot.
Most of the locals except for a foolish few will find alternate ways around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: