Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 11,965 times

Advertisements

I am interested in any "inside" info anybody can provide on private elementary schools in Vegas, especially on the west side. I am particularly interested in info on St. Elizabeth Ann Seton & Meadows. (I've already read a bit about Meadows on here, and I have a good idea what to expect.) But I would really appreciate input from someone who is currently sending, or who has recently sent, a child to a Vegas private school. (Or even someone who knows someone who sent a child to one of these schools.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 12:08 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Meadows looks good on paper, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it. First and foremost, it's quite overpriced for an elementary school. It's also ridiculously intense, and many of the kids are total snobs. The high school level is especially out-of-hand. I live close by, so I see students frequently. I'm just not a fan of the school at all.

St. Elizabeth's is supposed to be a good school, but pretty religious (is that something you want?). I know that one of the moms on here has kids who go there, so hopefully she'll answer this post with personal input.

I'll also recommend Las Vegas Day School - which has a really good name in town, but isn't nearly as intense or ridiculous as Meadows. Seems to have an active group of parents too. Very good choice.

And, if you do like religious influence, First Good Shepherd is another to look at. It's small, but known to be an intimate and nurtuting environment. Back in the day, a lot of the kids at the top of my graduating class (at a private high school) were FGS alumni. They seemed to really love it and have lots of fond memories.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:09 AM

623 posts, read 1,816,737 times
I know you didnt mention this school but my son attends St Viators catholic school and we love it. The teacher to child ratio is low so the child gets the attention he/she needs. The only drawbacks are that like most private schools they like to ask for donations and some of the parents are very clique like. Other than that we love it, and if we were staying in Vegas he would most def would be going back

Old 05-20-2008, 07:51 PM

124 posts, read 476,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Meadows looks good on paper, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it. First and foremost, it's quite overpriced for an elementary school. It's also ridiculously intense, and many of the kids are total snobs. The high school level is especially out-of-hand. I live close by, so I see students frequently. I'm just not a fan of the school at all.
I absolutely agree! I live very close to the Meadows and I'm so happy we didn't choose it for our daughter. Look into Merryhill on Snowtrail. Our daughter LOVES it there!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:12 PM

560 posts, read 2,187,366 times
I am the mom who has kids at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. I am, in fact, pulling my kids from that school at the end of the year. My oldest is going to Gorman and I have a (next year) 7th grader and 1st grader who I am putting in St. Francis de Sales. After 2 years at SEAS I am done. There is absolutely no communication between the Principal and the parents. We are getting a new principal next year who seems absolutely wonderful but it will take a few years to turn around the middle school which in my opinion has been a total waste of money. Elementary students attend mass two times a week and Middle school attend 3 times a week. There is a huge teacher turn over rate at the school, which may change with the new principal. I have been totally pleased with the kindergarten although my daughter was in KA. I know the KB parents have been very unhappy for numerous reasons. If you have elementary age students the school is fine. The middle school is where things fall apart. The school is also VERY strict and the kids are yelled at A LOT. I am also a teacher and one of the things that has really bothered me about the school is that they will punish an entire class for the action of a few students. I have never done that in all of my years of teaching. It really is not fair.

I suggest checking into Our Lady or St. Frances before SEAS if you want Catholic. If not, Las Vegas Day School is very good as well.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,185 times
Default I WENT to Meadows for K-12

I'm one of the kids you would call a "Lifer" who went to The Meadows School in Summerlin. I started school there in Kindergarten and graduated in 2004.

I have to say that Meadows has it's positives and negatives just like any school or situation. I'll admit that.

However, I wouldn't have traded my experience there for anything. The teachers at that school ALONE are reason enough for the high price tag (I am still in contact with my kindergarten, third grade, fourth grade, fifth grade, and high school teachers to THIS day). Yes, I will definitely agree that there is more pressure put on those students than perhaps at other schools. Looking back though, that pressure prepared me for college better than I think anything else COULD have.

I could go on and on about the positives (and yes, even the negatives) about The Meadows School. However, I think your time would best be spent talking to students who actually WENT to TMS. I would also recommend that if you haven't already done so, take a tour of the school and ask to speak to Carolyn Goodman about your child's educational career. In this day and age where education is EVERYTHING and a college degree is no longer just the icing on the cake it would help to get ALL the information you need to make your decision.

If you'd like, you can PM me regarding this and I'll give you my email address.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:40 PM

I'm sorry, but no kindergarten (or elementary school in general) is worth that kind of price tag, IMO.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:39 PM

623 posts, read 1,816,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I'm sorry, but no kindergarten (or elementary school in general) is worth that kind of price tag, IMO.
kindergarten and elementary school is the foundation of a persons education is built upon, when my child is concerned no price is too high

Old 05-23-2008, 05:54 PM

Ehh. The other private schools are excellent, and not nearly as expensive.

I just couldn't imagine paying the Meadow's price tag ($15k a year for an elementary school), to put my kids in an intense, unfriendly environment. The children aren't even allowed to talk at lunch. That's what kind of school it is.

Many parents in my neighborhood initially sent their kids there and ended up hating the environment and snooty attitudes...

Old 05-29-2008, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,296 times
Default Taught at Day School

I taught for three years at Las Vegas Day School and would have loved to stay there longer, had we not moved out of state (we just moved back). I have taught at several schools, and Day School was, by far, the best. It is rather expensive, but well worth it. The curriculum is very challenging and, as a parent, you do need to be highly supportive (then again, you wouldn't be paying that kind of money if their education wasn't importnat to you). They believe strongly in hands-on learning and using your creativity, imagination and logic skills; it's not based on endless lectures. I admit the parents are quite snooty, but the kids aren't at all. There are also many opportunities for parents to volunteer in the classroom, on field trips, with parties, special projects, etc. Students have music, library, Spanish, art, computer, and P.E. (even swimming and tennis!) as well as many extra curricular activities. They even have a before and after school care program for working parents. Set up a tour and check it out for yourself; it'll be worth it, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas