Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 PM

332 posts, read 524,671 times

Advertisements

I just got back home to Chicago from a trip to Vegas ever for the first time OMG love it lotta fun definitely want to come back for sure. Either way you look at it, you can tell the difference.

When I got off the plane and out and about in the area I was amazed at just how dry it was. It really is an amazing experience. And interestingly enough, even though it's the desert and it hardly ever rains there were a handful of thin clouds in the air here and there too. And going out in some of the other areas and having some elevation, the air is thinner too which is really refreshing, possibly even more so than the lack of humidity. And what a surprise how comfortable it was at night. It felt an appropriate level of summertime-warm. But yeah so hot during the day. The cumulative effect of the heat and the dryness day after day could just get to you; the amount of water you have to drink is just incredible.

Then when I got back to Chicago, that day the high was in the mid-70s, but the air incredibly, and comfortably humid. And everything so green. And it rains. During the spring and summer, and even the fall it just feels so alive (obviously winters here suck). Definitely can understand how somebody couldn't stand the humidity when it's so hot but when the temperature's moderate and comfortable (50s-low 80s) the humidity adds to the comfort of the air.

With such a high day-night temperature difference in Vegas, wonder how that plays in wintertime when it's in the 60s during the day there, but then do you freeze your tail off at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
I just got back home to Chicago from a trip to Vegas ever for the first time OMG love it lotta fun definitely want to come back for sure. Either way you look at it, you can tell the difference.

When I got off the plane and out and about in the area I was amazed at just how dry it was. It really is an amazing experience. And interestingly enough, even though it's the desert and it hardly ever rains there were a handful of thin clouds in the air here and there too. And going out in some of the other areas and having some elevation, the air is thinner too which is really refreshing, possibly even more so than the lack of humidity. And what a surprise how comfortable it was at night. It felt an appropriate level of summertime-warm. But yeah so hot during the day. The cumulative effect of the heat and the dryness day after day could just get to you; the amount of water you have to drink is just incredible. It doesn't "get to you", Humidity "gets to you"; and you would need way more water than we do because with humidity you sweat like a sow. Growing up in the east I was wet all the time. Here in Nevada I hardly ever dampen my t-shirt.

Then when I got back to Chicago, that day the high was in the mid-70s, but the air incredibly, and comfortably humid. And everything so green. And it rains. During the spring and summer, and even the fall it just feels so alive (obviously winters here suck). Definitely can understand how somebody couldn't stand the humidity when it's so hot but when the temperature's moderate and comfortable (50s-low 80s) the humidity adds to the comfort of the air.

With such a high day-night temperature difference in Vegas, wonder how that plays in wintertime when it's in the 60s during the day there, but then do you freeze your tail off at night?
Even on our coldest days (or nights) it never comes close to the kind of cold you have in Illinois. But it will get a little below freezing at night at times, especially in December and January. But it mostly gets cold after most people have gone to bed, unless they work the graveyard shift. As my wife says, we have two seasons ─ summer and January.

I like humid climates for a day or two in the fall when it can be invigorating. But humidity gives me headaches and bronchitis after a couple of days. I think it's the mold that comes with humidity that's the culprit. Don't forget, lack of humidity gives us over 300 days of sunshine a year, and is comfortable up to around 90º. After that, hot is hot. But here in paradise, we'll take 110º and no humidity over 75º/75% humidity anytime.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:56 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
We're in a desert. Nuff said about humidity really.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:19 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Having just gotten back from the Detroit area last night, it was nice to get back to the dryness at 100 degree's versus the 76-84 temps with high humidity days in SE Michigan this last weekend. It's a sticky feeling with humidity, and non-sticky with low humidity. Imagine you are in a 350 degree oven, and that's how the hottest days feel. The 110+ one's anyway. If you are not moving, you will not sweat. If you are running around, you will. Dryness is easier to deal with than sticky.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
I can't take humidity anymore. It just makes my sinuses run amok and you just feel sticky. I could never live in a humid climate.

I have a girlfriend who suffers from the dryness here, she gets nosebleeds (she's been in town for 2 years now), so she went and got a home humidifier which helps her a lot.

I guess it all depends on each individual and what you feel most comfortable with.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
I can't take humidity anymore. It just makes my sinuses run amok and you just feel sticky. I could never live in a humid climate.

I have a girlfriend who suffers from the dryness here, she gets nosebleeds (she's been in town for 2 years now), so she went and got a home humidifier which helps her a lot.

I guess it all depends on each individual and what you feel most comfortable with.
My doctor tells me almost every time I see her, to put a pea sized dollop of triple antibiotic ointment on a q-tip, and spread it around inside the nose. She says since it's mostly Vaseline, it keeps the nose from drying out, and prevents infections. I don't remember to do it all the time, but it does work for me when I do. It apparently goes a long way in avoiding colds too. Saline sprays help too. You can make your own with salt and water, or buy a bottle at the drugstore.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
My doctor tells me almost every time I see her, to put a pea sized dollop of triple antibiotic ointment on a q-tip, and spread it around inside the nose. She says since it's mostly Vaseline, it keeps the nose from drying out, and prevents infections. I don't remember to do it all the time, but it does work for me when I do. It apparently goes a long way in avoiding colds too. Saline sprays help too. You can make your own with salt and water, or buy a bottle at the drugstore.
Hey, what a great tip Buzz!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Hey, what a great tip Buzz!
Not a great tip ─ a Q-Tip.
But, don't thank me, thank Dr. Michaels. Best doc I've ever had. But because she saved my life I guess I'm biased.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:33 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,433,951 times
skin is prone to fungus infections such as athlete foot in a humid climate.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Not a great tip ─ a Q-Tip.
But, don't thank me, thank Dr. Michaels. Best doc I've ever had. But because she saved my life I guess I'm biased.
You're funny...and adorable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas