U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2008, 11:31 AM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,757 posts, read 20,111,596 times
Reputation: 2661
Default The standard advice...

And there is...

Welcome to Las Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2008, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
11,362 posts, read 19,589,623 times
Reputation: 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And there is...

Welcome to Las Vegas
That's pretty good.

Also, the OP is budgeting $100.00 for food. I hope that is for the drive here and not a monthly estimate. And I hope you can make it here in a day. You can spend $100.00 on one or two meals in a restaurant, and it won't go far in the grocery store either. Don't forget that you need a lot of money for deposits on not only the apartment, but all utilities as well. And you have thirty days to register your car and get a driver license. Car regietration is based on the original value of the car and can be really expensive.

Like olecapt said, plan on enough for at least three months, but also bring twice as much as you think you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2008, 12:17 PM
 
37 posts, read 102,077 times
Reputation: 18
How much is it for deposits for utilities out there i know here it was 40 for cox cable/internet and electric i got waived bc i used automatic withdraw and water was 75. so how much does that run out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2008, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
9,477 posts, read 14,439,096 times
Reputation: 2402
with great credit (750+ score), gas and electric deposits were about 200 each, water i think was 60...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Omaha, NE (the O-N-E)
226 posts, read 662,182 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
with great credit (750+ score), gas and electric deposits were about 200 each, water i think was 60...
We moved from Omaha, NE to Reno, NV and with Sierra Pacific, you just pay a $50 deposit... I think they can waive it if you have good credit though, Water, Sewer, trash pickup, and heat all come with the apartment, there is no gas!

Charter doesn't charge a deposit either (unless you have been cut off before, but i do think there was a one time installation fee but it wasn't that much!) But Charter is horrible, I think Cox is better but I don't like any cable company really, they are all a rip-off!

We don't even use charter anymore though at all, we have $10 DSL service through AT&T (its only 768k tho but good enough for streaming/ DL its about 75kb/sec dl speed!) And we only pay $7 for home phone thru lifeline Nevada program. We just got our coupon for the digital converter box and we went out and bought one at walmart, it was like $13 because those a-holes charged sales tax on the whole price, not just on the $9 i actually spent, but still a good deal because we can stop paying the cable company for the bull**** channels we were getting on the first tier of basic cable! We get like 13 local channels only but they all come in crystal clear and we get a free guide from the box that tells us whats on each channel just like Cable and it is 100% free!

And we have Cricket for our wireless phone $49 (including taxes and all) covers unlimited talk, text, US long distance, voicemail, caller ID, call waiting, 3-way calling, and works in all cricket calling areas.

So we pay about $66 a month for crystal clear TV reception, High Speed Internet, home phone, and unlimited wireless! I don't think anyone can beat that deal! Charter can keep their stupid bundle, lol !

Oh yea and deposit for apartment was $250 and rent is $500 and this place comes with an indoor pool, a fitness center, and a clubhouse!

And if you want to compare cost of living to wages, my wife makes $11 an hour but there is an abundance of overtime avail. if she wants to take it! I am currently a stay at home dad.

So, Reno must be a lot more affordable than Vegas, huh?

Last edited by SoCiEtY's ReBel; 05-26-2008 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Omaha, NE (the O-N-E)
226 posts, read 662,182 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ56 View Post
How much is it for deposits for utilities out there i know here it was 40 for cox cable/internet and electric i got waived bc i used automatic withdraw and water was 75. so how much does that run out there?
There are apartments that cover utilities... I remember there was this place called the desert rose apartments... I think its in a "bad area" but if you don't mind living in the "bad area" you can get some good deals. If I remember correctly... they cover all utils. on their studios that start out around $500, they had 1 bedrooms where you pay electric only for $650...

Vegas is sooo damn expensive and the rents can change dramatically $50 or more per year (in either direction is what i've been told but probably not gonna go down)

In the midwest you really do get more for your Dollar but atleast in Reno, its not so bad like Vegas, everything just costs more in Vegas even going out to eat, restaurants just charge more in Vegas than they do in other parts of the country and you get the same exact food!

Why would anyone want to pay more for something just because its in Las Vegas is beyond me... I like to save some of my money! And do wages really keep up with cost of living? People say they do but in my experience they don't! It's hard to even get a job here in Reno and when you do its like $9 unless you have a career in a field! It was hard work getting my wife where she is making $11 an hour and it was hard work getting our bills affordable too. Our rent was originally $595 I had to find listings in the local paper to get our Rental Manager to agree to match the price to get it to $500. And we don't have cable or satellite or any real luxuries for that matter. In the midwest we could get a house for the same money we spend here and probably Direct TV too, but we are still able to do alright here with the set up we have for now! But down there in Vegas its even worse I don't know how you guys do it! Before long we will all be doing the Mexican method where we have all our family and friends in one house in sleeping bags on the living room floor just so we can split the rent and still afford it lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 11:03 AM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,757 posts, read 20,111,596 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCiEtY's ReBel View Post
There are apartments that cover utilities... I remember there was this place called the desert rose apartments... I think its in a "bad area" but if you don't mind living in the "bad area" you can get some good deals. If I remember correctly... they cover all utils. on their studios that start out around $500, they had 1 bedrooms where you pay electric only for $650...

Vegas is sooo damn expensive and the rents can change dramatically $50 or more per year (in either direction is what i've been told but probably not gonna go down)

In the midwest you really do get more for your Dollar but atleast in Reno, its not so bad like Vegas, everything just costs more in Vegas even going out to eat, restaurants just charge more in Vegas than they do in other parts of the country and you get the same exact food!

Why would anyone want to pay more for something just because its in Las Vegas is beyond me... I like to save some of my money! And do wages really keep up with cost of living? People say they do but in my experience they don't! It's hard to even get a job here in Reno and when you do its like $9 unless you have a career in a field! It was hard work getting my wife where she is making $11 an hour and it was hard work getting our bills affordable too. Our rent was originally $595 I had to find listings in the local paper to get our Rental Manager to agree to match the price to get it to $500. And we don't have cable or satellite or any real luxuries for that matter. In the midwest we could get a house for the same money we spend here and probably Direct TV too, but we are still able to do alright here with the set up we have for now! But down there in Vegas its even worse I don't know how you guys do it! Before long we will all be doing the Mexican method where we have all our family and friends in one house in sleeping bags on the living room floor just so we can split the rent and still afford it lol!

Housing is somewhat more expensive in Reno. That leads to a higher cost of living in Reno than in Las Vegas. Sorry about that...but that is the fact.

If I was going to live in the north it would be in Gardnerville/Minden. That is somewhat more expensive than Reno.

You appear to live frugally. That can also be done in Las Vegas.

There is no difference between local restaurants in Reno, Carson City or Las Vegas. It is, I think, in your head....Locals do not eat in Bellagio as a rule. Nor even in TI if they can avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 12:56 PM
 
1,492 posts, read 4,431,727 times
Reputation: 1280
Default Here you go-

I am moving this coming weekend. I paid NO MONEY DOWN for any of the utilities.

Cox Cable, SWGas, Nevada Power have it to where you get service turned on ...online forms. My guess is the first bill will have any fees. Of course, Cox Cable could have me pay the install and 1st months when they come in to turn on the cable.

My credit was approved for waiver of deposit/ waiver of app fee/ waiver of admin fee. And the apartment is having a $400 towards your first months rent promo...so all I'll pay on June 1st to pick up my keys is $400.

So to answer your question about how much it costs to 'move in' and not including the first months bills coming shortly....just enough to pick up the keys at lease signing and maybe cable.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE (the O-N-E)
226 posts, read 662,182 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Housing is somewhat more expensive in Reno. That leads to a higher cost of living in Reno than in Las Vegas. Sorry about that...but that is the fact.

If I was going to live in the north it would be in Gardnerville/Minden. That is somewhat more expensive than Reno.

You appear to live frugally. That can also be done in Las Vegas.

There is no difference between local restaurants in Reno, Carson City or Las Vegas. It is, I think, in your head....Locals do not eat in Bellagio as a rule. Nor even in TI if they can avoid it.
Are you serious about the restaraunts being all in my head? Check out www.ontheborder.com they have menus with prices... Everything in Vegas is like 10-20% more expensive than it is Reno. And in Iowa it is even less than in Reno. This isn't the only restaraunt that does it either... Compare famous daves and even Panera Bread and it costs more in Vegas.

And housing in Reno is not more expensive than housing in Vegas, this is absurd... If you claim it is fact, then show me the facts. I believe it as fact, that rent, on average is more in Vegas than in Reno; here is my source: Apartments.com - Free Nationwide Apartment Search with the Most Visual Rental Listings Online. (Be sure to click on the Newspaper adds at the bottom to compare the cheapest with the cheapest)The cheapest places I have found in Vegas are atleast $550 and up. And there are less apartments in Vegas that include water, sewer, trash, and heat, they expect you to pay for it all separately on top of the inflated rent! Also when you go to the DMV website you can see that it cost more to register a vehicle in Clark county than in Washoe county. And one more thing, you guys don't have a Winco, Winco saves us hundreds of $$$ on our groceries!

You guys just now got Cricket but we have had it in Reno for quite some time. And Im sure I'd have to use the A/C more down there so there will be a higher electric bill, that I am sure of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 02:09 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,757 posts, read 20,111,596 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCiEtY's ReBel View Post
Are you serious about the restaraunts being all in my head? Check out www.ontheborder.com they have menus with prices... Everything in Vegas is like 10-20% more expensive than it is Reno. And in Iowa it is even less than in Reno. This isn't the only restaraunt that does it either... Compare famous daves and even Panera Bread and it costs more in Vegas.

And housing in Reno is not more expensive than housing in Vegas, this is absurd... If you claim it is fact, then show me the facts. I believe it as fact, that rent, on average is more in Vegas than in Reno; here is my source: Apartments.com - Free Nationwide Apartment Search with the Most Visual Rental Listings Online. (Be sure to click on the Newspaper adds at the bottom to compare the cheapest with the cheapest)The cheapest places I have found in Vegas are atleast $550 and up. And there are less apartments in Vegas that include water, sewer, trash, and heat, they expect you to pay for it all separately on top of the inflated rent! Also when you go to the DMV website you can see that it cost more to register a vehicle in Clark county than in Washoe county. And one more thing, you guys don't have a Winco, Winco saves us hundreds of $$$ on our groceries!

You guys just now got Cricket but we have had it in Reno for quite some time. And Im sure I'd have to use the A/C more down there so there will be a higher electric bill, that I am sure of
We have an "On the Border" about a mile away. Has the same menu as yours. I hate to tell you this but it is nationwide chain

From the NY Times Cost of LIving Calculator for a $50,000 earner...

The cost of living in Reno, NV is 0.1% higher than in Las Vegas, NV. Therefore, you would have to earn a salary of $50,025 to maintain your current standard of living.

Employers in Reno, NV typically pay 0.9% more than employers in Las Vegas, NV. Therefore, if you take the same type of job in the same type of company in Reno, NV you are likely to earn $50,437.

And I suspect that overstates the case for Reno...

One does not make out moving to Reno unless you get a salary increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top