Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 10:51 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,684,166 times

Advertisements

I thought the feds wouldn't allow boats to come close to Hoover Dam? I just figured it would be easy for a terrorist to load up a boat full of Diesel fuel and Fertilizer. If you know what I mean Do they actually have the cops out there check the all the boats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 01:46 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,234,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I thought the feds wouldn't allow boats to come close to Hoover Dam? I just figured it would be easy for a terrorist to load up a boat full of Diesel fuel and Fertilizer. If you know what I mean Do they actually have the cops out there check the all the boats?
It would take more than a boat load of fertilizer to do damage to that dam. I don't think anything less than a nuke could put a hole though it. Unless they have moved it back, there is a line and buoy markers where boats have to stop, but I do believe that's so you won't get pulled into the penstocks and spillways. There are lots of Rangers patrolling the lake and the park.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:50 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,234,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandermeyj View Post
most economical boat rental place? I bought a house but wont be moving full time til 2010. Want to know what type of boat works well. Have a 24 foot with a cuddy....

anyway. Good boat rental place? Thanks
Are you looking to rent a boat or a place to dock/dry-dock the one you have? You'll see anything from small motor boats and jet skis to large yachts on the lake. Small is kind of dangerous because of the waves. It can get pretty rough out there. I'm no boating expert but have been on the lake in all kinds of craft over the years fishing, hunting, and just plain sailing.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:14 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,524,546 times
Some one asked about Marine cops. Yes there are several who watch that area near Boulder Beach to Lake Mead Marina very heavy. The Coast Guard Auxiliary also assists. No you can not anchor or park within 400' of the Dam. Who ever said they doubt a boat load of dynamite would put a hole in the damn is correct. I doubt it too. I have read that it would take more then 3 semi's loaded to blow up and by blowing up on the road would do little to nothing. They would have to all 3 drive off the road and onto the side of the damn on either side for something to happen.

As far as slip rental, up until recently there was a 3 year waiting list to rent a slip. Some times some one would give up boating and sell it and would sell or sublease the remaining time on their slip. Today with the price of gas and the deep recession many cant afford the gas to take out the ol boat for a days worth of fun. So many are selling boats and their slips. I suspect you will have an easy time finding one now. Go to any one of the 2 Marinas near Boulder Beach and walk up to the Marine store. There is a bulitian board with private boats and slips for rent. I am near certian you will find something.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:07 PM

I guess it would take a 5000 lbs bunker bomb to even put a scratch on dam? Wow, how about a jumbo jet? do you think terrorists would have thought of that one already.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I guess it would take a 5000 lbs bunker bomb to even put a scratch on dam? Wow, how about a jumbo jet? do you think terrorists would have thought of that one already.
There are far more value targets then a stupid damn. Whats the worst that can happen? Flood out Laughlin? Maybe by the time the flood waters made Needles or beyond to northern Arizona it would be too spread out to do harm. If anyone has plans of crippling Vegas you know well some better targets. All easy pickens too.

Taking out the World Trade Center made a statement. Can any targets here mean the same thing? Dunno. We cant figure out those dimented minds anyway so best we can do is not worry about it and live our lives.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
There are far more value targets then a stupid damn. Whats the worst that can happen? Flood out Laughlin? Maybe by the time the flood waters made Needles or beyond to northern Arizona it would be too spread out to do harm. If anyone has plans of crippling Vegas you know well some better targets. All easy pickens too.

Taking out the World Trade Center made a statement. Can any targets here mean the same thing? Dunno. We cant figure out those dimented minds anyway so best we can do is not worry about it and live our lives.
I think it would affect the whole southwest. It would affect CA agriculture to the point that there may be food shortages. Not to mention the electric power that dam produces for the southwest. Plus it would take a mental toll on people. If the dam was not really a big deal, why do they have a federal checkpoint to drive over it? Am I wrong to think this this extreme or is there some truth behind it?

Old 07-27-2008, 05:47 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,990,353 times
the federal ckpoint is to dissuade those with a nuclear suitcase bomb....other then that....taint happenin...they knew how to build in those days....as far as tje ramifications should it happen....yep that ag areas south of here would be effected....SoCal would have to turn off their AC units to conserve.....and a lotta carp would die....

Old 07-27-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I think it would affect the whole southwest. It would affect CA agriculture to the point that there may be food shortages. Not to mention the electric power that dam produces for the southwest. Plus it would take a mental toll on people. If the dam was not really a big deal, why do they have a federal checkpoint to drive over it? Am I wrong to think this this extreme or is there some truth behind it?
I guess ya got a point about the loss of electric power. Nevada gets such a tiny percentage of it anyway due to a bureaucratic disaster signed into law before Nevada had any population. So yes Cali and Az will have to turn off their AC and live in the dark.

Lake Mead is more then half empty now so I still dont believe the water rush will do any considerable damage down stream. The SNWA has 3 intakes deep down at the lowest elevations of the Colorado River so even without damed up water we should be able to suck up clean water so long as the Colorado keeps on flowing. The main problem is the millions of gallons of treated sewage that pumps into Lake Mead every day. With a lake there it has something to mix with. With just a flowing river it may not be pottable.

I think those check points are a pain in the ash. I have only passed through them with the RV a few times, never by car which are usually waved on. We have to stop the RV and those fat clowns with the frown on their face and too many Dunkin Donuts on their waste walk through your coach looking under couches and beds and inside the bathrooms. Then you have to open up every single storage hatch door outside. I guess they have to stop everyone so that when the middle easterners get stopped they cant cry profiling.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:03 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,640,850 times
Be careful of long haired Greek magicians walking on the lake while you're out boating. They can be real mind freaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas