U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:25 AM

33 posts, read 90,940 times

Advertisements

Can Anyone Share Any Info On Lake Mead. I Am Looking For Avaliable Marinas,rest/bars On The Lake,hang Out Coves,etc. Water Quality And Clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 01:12 AM

2,502 posts, read 7,883,333 times
There are a couple marinas on the lake. I can't remember the name of the one my dad docks his boat at, but it has a great diner that we always eat at before going out on the water.

As for water quality...it depends on where you go. The public beaches tend to be a bit trashy, but if you take your boat out further into the lake, the water is beautiful and clean. There are lots of nice coves for swimming. I also like anchoring the boat right in front of the Hoover Dam. The water is deep, but it's a refreshing place to swim or float and the view is stunning.

My only warning would be to check the wind speeds before you head out. Windy days can be brutal.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:13 AM

231 posts, read 485,181 times
I moved to Las Vegas 7 months ago and have been boating on lake mead 6 or so times. 1) water quality and clarity--outstanding. 2)To the best of my knowledge (and I may be wrong) there are 2-3 large marina's all with restaurants and lounges. The marina I moor at is called Las Vegas Boat Harbor and is right next to Lake Mead Marina--Im guessing but there are probably over 1000 boats between the two marina's. The other large marina is callville bay which is mid lake. Its a fun lake and incredibly large (worlds largest man made lake). Sandy cove and hot boat beach are the two I frequent but there are numerous sandy inlets where people pull up and hang out.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I also like anchoring the boat right in front of the Hoover Dam. The water is deep, but it's a refreshing place to swim or float and the view is stunning.

My only warning would be to check the wind speeds before you head out. Windy days can be brutal.
You anchor in front of Hoover Dam? Its over 400 feet deep! You must carry alot of anchor line.
Agreed on the windy days--you better have a big boat because you will see 5-7 foot swells. Not fun!!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:42 AM

207 posts, read 824,670 times
As per my court ordered continuing apology to JFK III for calling him unfunny, I will provide a link about Lake Mead marinas he once provided me.

While I had a blast renting a boat and motoring around for a bit, the hidden cost of returning the vessel fully gassed was quite punishing and that was almost a year ago. I can't imagine the pain today.

In general, the National Park's Service Website for Lake Mead will give you everything you want. Enjoy!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:19 AM

2,502 posts, read 7,883,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANative View Post
You anchor in front of Hoover Dam? Its over 400 feet deep! You must carry alot of anchor line.
Agreed on the windy days--you better have a big boat because you will see 5-7 foot swells. Not fun!!
Haha...figure of speech. We don't actually use an anchor. We just park the boat.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:20 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,754,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Haha...figure of speech. We don't actually use an anchor. We just park the boat.
when you park, do you put a dime in the meter?

Old 05-28-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhale View Post
While I had a blast renting a boat and motoring around for a bit, the hidden cost of returning the vessel fully gassed was quite punishing and that was almost a year ago. I can't imagine the pain today.
Let me put it to you this way: If you are filling up on the water it will run you about $4.15 per gallon (regular). My gas tank is 75 gallons so you can do the math. When I was at Chevron the other day the attendant told me about a guy that spent $995 on fuel for his boat just a couple days ago (and thats probably only enough for 2-3 days of serious boating!!). No doubt youve got to have some deep pockets nowadays--either you pay $250++ to moor the boat and pay $4.15 per gallon OR you need a gas guzzling truck to haul it around PLUS of course the cost of fuel and maintenance for the boat and then lets not forget about insurance and storage AND the payment!!!

But it is alot of fun...I think the key this year is just limit the time you are running the engine. You can still have alot of fun in the boat just "anchoring" in front of Hoover dam or wherever. Play some music, swim, bs with your friends and drink some beer!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,754,701 times
maybe retrofit a sail??????

Old 07-27-2008, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 13,451 times
most economical boat rental place? I bought a house but wont be moving full time til 2010. Want to know what type of boat works well. Have a 24 foot with a cuddy....

anyway. Good boat rental place? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas