Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:11 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
But ya know what? There is another issue. Allow me to call them what they are without getting any hate mail. Perverts. We all seen those chopper cops up there flying around all night doing nothing NOTHING. They just shine those 200,000 candle power beams into people's yards. This has been going on for years. They are not working or looking for some one. They are playing.

We swim nude at night like many people do. Those perverts up there are particularly fond of locating nude people in the privacy of thier own back yards. We also swim nude at a friends house in N LV and have experienced this there too. They just fix that beam on us and hover there. Im afraid to give them the finger because of the reputation of the coppers here. They are not affraid to shoot to kill innocent citizens if they get mad.

When we see them coming one of us has to get out of the pool to hit the underwater light switch. They still light us up. This subject has come up at times and all too many people have told me simular stories. Damn perverts.
I think my daughter's father in law that flew Metro's helicopter for years would disagree with you. Especially after he saved all those people from drowning in the flood down on Gowen Road, and helped keep terrorist from ruining the Winter Olympic Games in SLC, and helping to catch a lot of bad guys. Just having a job flying one of those babies would be fun enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
But ya know what? There is another issue. Allow me to call them what they are without getting any hate mail. Perverts. We all seen those chopper cops up there flying around all night doing nothing NOTHING. They just shine those 200,000 candle power beams into people's yards. This has been going on for years. They are not working or looking for some one. They are playing.

We swim nude at night like many people do. Those perverts up there are particularly fond of locating nude people in the privacy of thier own back yards. We also swim nude at a friends house in N LV and have experienced this there too. They just fix that beam on us and hover there. Im afraid to give them the finger because of the reputation of the coppers here. They are not affraid to shoot to kill innocent citizens if they get mad.

When we see them coming one of us has to get out of the pool to hit the underwater light switch. They still light us up. This subject has come up at times and all too many people have told me simular stories. Damn perverts.
Uh, you swim in the nude with a bunch of other people and you call the cops perverts? Ha, ha.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 AM

I'd listen to AAA Pool guy and never drain your pool and leave it empty. In case he doesn't mention it, there is a cleaning system that I can't remember the name of, but it has pop up sprayers in the bottom of the pool that pop up and turn at intervals. That way the dirt is always blown towards the bottom drain. Saves a lot of work, because from my experience, a pool is a hole in the ground that you pour a lot of money and work into. Unless you really, really love to swim, you might grow to hate a pool as I and many people I know did. Whoever said watch out for the kind of trees around the pool is giving good advice. And those pool covers in winter will fill up with water on top of the cover and really leave a mess that's hard to clean up and attract mosquitoes even in the desert. Best to leave it uncovered I think.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:32 AM

In answer to the question of your original thread...you look for a house with a big hole in the backyard. Ha, ha. I slay me.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:54 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post
How much does this this system cost? When my pump goes I want to get one that is energy efficient. I should probably start saving now. I bet this will be the last season for it to run
Its about $800-$1000 depending.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:18 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I have been swimming in various states of dress in pools in Las Vegas and Los Angeles for something over 25 years. I have never seen the police helicopter illuminate a pool.

I have seen any number of things illuminated...In fact every other month or so we see them working something or other...but not swimming pools.

Remember Cops/DAs/Judges/Councilman/Commissioners all have pools. Our pool in LA often had a police captain and his wife. Guess what happens to a helicopter crew who illuminates Carol Goodman in full back stroke? It is not pretty.

I think that is the classical urban fairy tale.

I do know a couple of helicopter tales of the true sort. But I can't tell them in this context.

Hmmm...so then what does DS41 have that you don't?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:05 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Hmmm...so then what does DS41 have that you don't?
Young wife?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:17 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
My pool has an automatic cover. Pretty good thing in the desert. I get very little in the pool and the crawler takes care of it all. For the rain you just open it up which dumps it into the pool. If it was heavy I have a surface pump to clear it. Note that it gets wet mostly when we wash it off every six weeks or so.

The great advantage is that we use virtually no chemicals. In the winter maybe a tab a month. With the cover closed algae growth is almost non-existent.

The bad news is that the cover has to be replaced every four or five years. Awaiting delivery of a new one now...$3,000. Do get $200 off from an SNWA coupon.

I have large Mesquites but only on the front of the house. The pool area is CA live oaks and Palm trees. The Oaks gets dirty at acorn time but those drop straight down and don't blow into the pool.

I am skeptical of pebble tech for decking. Appears to have about a five to seven year life than the epoxy begins to fail. It can be renewed but the process is as expensive as the initial install. I still see little that is better than good old plaster. Tile might well be...but that is a different price range.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:52 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Young wife?

Must be it.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:25 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Quote:
My pool has an automatic cover. Pretty good thing in the desert. I get very little in the pool and the crawler takes care of it all. For the rain you just open it up which dumps it into the pool. If it was heavy I have a surface pump to clear it. Note that it gets wet mostly when we wash it off every six weeks or so.

The great advantage is that we use virtually no chemicals. In the winter maybe a tab a month. With the cover closed algae growth is almost non-existent.

The bad news is that the cover has to be replaced every four or five years. Awaiting delivery of a new one now...$3,000. Do get $200 off from an SNWA coupon.

I have large Mesquites but only on the front of the house. The pool area is CA live oaks and Palm trees. The Oaks gets dirty at acorn time but those drop straight down and don't blow into the pool.

I am skeptical of pebble tech for decking. Appears to have about a five to seven year life than the epoxy begins to fail. It can be renewed but the process is as expensive as the initial install. I still see little that is better than good old plaster. Tile might well be...but that is a different price range.
+1 on the safe-t cover, that is the best thing you can have for your pool. Usually only works for rectangular pools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: