Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:57 PM

207 posts, read 799,418 times

Advertisements

Since I am skeptical about being able to stand the heat of the Phoenix area, and without venturing into Northern AZ because of pricing and limited employment, what areas in NW Las Vegas might carry a slightly cooler temperature, along with keeping a relatively safe environment.

And what kind of travel time are we looking at in arriving in Downtown LV & The Strip? Do employers in LV think negatively of a 40-minute commute to work? {I am from NY and my daily commute door-to-door from the suburbs was always 1-1/2 hours, which was very common.}

Reno is not an option.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 01:29 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
whatever the temperature, you will be hard pressed to notice it....and once you buy that house in the perfect temperature area, someone will build something down the street that will drastically alter the 'micro climate'.....sorry....but its just splitting hairs....when yer hot yer hot when yer not yer not.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:08 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Where ever you move, just invest in a Great A/C unit and good ceiling fans, and you will not even feel the difference. LV gets great temps 9 months out of the year, and 4 months 90-110+. Its really not that bad, especially if you work indoors. You are indoors in A/C, you get in your car in A/C...ect..

Old 05-31-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamfollower View Post
Since I am skeptical about being able to stand the heat of the Phoenix area, and without venturing into Northern AZ because of pricing and limited employment, what areas in NW Las Vegas might carry a slightly cooler temperature, along with keeping a relatively safe environment.

And what kind of travel time are we looking at in arriving in Downtown LV & The Strip? Do employers in LV think negatively of a 40-minute commute to work? {I am from NY and my daily commute door-to-door from the suburbs was always 1-1/2 hours, which was very common.}

Reno is not an option.

Thanks.
I drive quite a bit in the LV valley, and I can tell you it has a lot of traffic, but there are large surface streets that can handle large amounts of cars durring the rush hours. It takes me 30 mins to go from NW Las Vegas (Lake Mead/Rampart) to Silverado Ranch/Marryland Parkway (SW area close to the southpoint). Or I can get from 95 and wagonwheel to Durango and 95 in about the same time. Las Vegas traffic is nothing compared to what your use to.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:40 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
The high for the day might be 5º hotter on the eastern side of the Valley than it is on the western side of the Valley in summer, and 5º colder in winter, but you probably couldn't tell the difference. Our overall temps are usually about 5º cooler than Phoenix's high on the same day. I think what you would notice between Phoenix and Las Vegas a little lower humidity in Vegas. But that might not be all that noticeable either. Both are dry. Don't worry about it. Like the man said hot is hot.

I don't get the question about the 45 minute commute. The employer only cares that you get there on time. How far you drive isn't his concern. Most commutes in Vegas are going to be 30 to 45 minutes. If you are 1½ hrs away you will be in the open desert all alone with the coyotes and jack rabbits. In fact if you are more than 45 minutes away from the center of town you are out in the desert.

I'm assuming you are not familiar with Nevada, and if you are there are a lot of folks that read this stuff that aren't so bare with me. There is virtually NOTHING else outside the immediate Las Vegas area. Living in a western city is nothing like living in an eastern city as far as having town after town along crowded highways, and woods, and hills, and creeks, and other natural barriers. Here everything is compacted into one living area that expands from the center outward, and everything outside that area is the desert. It is not unlike being on an island in the ocean except the ocean here is sand, broken only by mountains that make the New England mountains look like anthills. If you look at a Nevada map you will see lots of PLACES marked on it. Those places are only PLACES. They are not usually communities. Most of the time there may be a ranch, or there may have been a mine there in the 19th or early 20th century but maybe only a dirt crossroad remains. Nevada is 110,400 square miles, 87% of which is open land controlled by the Federal government.

Las Vegas takes up about 650 square miles, 10 times larger than Boston, on the southern tip of that vast nothingness. Reno is 440 miles north of Las Vegas and is the only other city of significant size in the state. 2 million of the less than 2½ million people in Nevada live in that one small area of the state that makes up what we call Las Vegas. Las Vegas is just about the only populated area of Clark County, at least for 75 to 100 miles, and Clark County is about the size of Vermont. Just wanted to give people a perspective.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:06 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
1. Western LV tends to be cooler than Eastern LV, but the difference isn't significant. Las Vegas as a whole is usually about 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix, though.

2. You can drive across the metro in 30 minutes, usually. Traffic isn't too horrible.

3. The valley isn't overlapping any other metros (like the agglomerations on the east coast), but the Vegas metro is large enough that it doesn't feel isolated at all.

4. If the idea of 110 degrees in the summer really horrifies you, you may be better off in Reno or Northern AZ.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:34 AM

29 posts, read 109,811 times
A point of interest.

The official temperature in Las Vegas, according to NOAA, has never been higher than 117 degrees. That despite the fact that it is fairly common during the summer to see roadside thermometers all over town reading 120+.

Once it gets to 110 (real temperature, not official), it doesn't make much difference what part of town you are in. It's hot.

As stated above, however, you generally live, work and drive in an air conditioned environment, and once the sun goes down, it gets comfortable again.

Just my 2 cents

Old 06-01-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
1. Western LV tends to be cooler than Eastern LV, but the difference isn't significant. Las Vegas as a whole is usually about 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix, though.

2. You can drive across the metro in 30 minutes, usually. Traffic isn't too horrible.

3. The valley isn't overlapping any other metros (like the agglomerations on the east coast), but the Vegas metro is large enough that it doesn't feel isolated at all.

4. If the idea of 110 degrees in the summer really horrifies you, you may be better off in Reno or Northern AZ.
I thought northern AZ is hotter than Las Vegas? Like Bullhead city and Lake Havasu. I know if you get higher in elevation it does get cooler, but the River corridor is very hot!

Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_James View Post
A point of interest.

The official temperature in Las Vegas, according to NOAA, has never been higher than 117 degrees. That despite the fact that it is fairly common during the summer to see roadside thermometers all over town reading 120+.

Once it gets to 110 (real temperature, not official), it doesn't make much difference what part of town you are in. It's hot.

As stated above, however, you generally live, work and drive in an air conditioned environment, and once the sun goes down, it gets comfortable again.

Just my 2 cents
The official temp is at the airport. I work outdoors in the summer months and most newer pools have a temperature sensor that measures air/water temps. Ive seen the air temps as high as 133 in some places. I'm not sure how accurate they are, but this might have to do with the hot concrete reflecting on some of the pool equipment. But anything over 110 is freakin' hot..it really doesn't matter.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:59 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
I thought northern AZ is hotter than Las Vegas? Like Bullhead city and Lake Havasu. I know if you get higher in elevation it does get cooler, but the River corridor is very hot!
I believe the OP was thinking of cities like Flagstaff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas