Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 AM

13 posts, read 53,718 times

Advertisements

Miss the Good food from NY and a great pizza when moved to Florida now I Miss the Florida sunset/rise on the beach and still my Pizza, lol.... Other that I miss nothing from either Ny or Fl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 01:39 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_James View Post
It took me a while to come up with something...

Something other than Frito-Lay products in the snack section of the grocery store.

Other than that, not a thing.
Wise Potato Chips would be nice.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:34 PM

35 posts, read 93,701 times
It is a toss between thunderstorms and natural greenery/wildlife (from the midwest). I am probably leaning toward thunderstorms though. I know we get some--but not nearly enough for me.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:40 PM

78 posts, read 930,328 times
We lived in Las Vegas for three years and one reason we left is because we missed the green grass, nice big shade trees, and more of a family atmosphere. I do wish Vegas had more in terms of amusement parks and youth sports, etc but I suppose its not really designed for families so much. My husband wants to move back but we'll see. I would miss the south a whole bunch.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:58 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldunn1001 View Post
We lived in Las Vegas for three years and one reason we left is because we missed the green grass, nice big shade trees, and more of a family atmosphere. I do wish Vegas had more in terms of amusement parks and youth sports, etc but I suppose its not really designed for families so much. My husband wants to move back but we'll see. I would miss the south a whole bunch.
Where did you guys live? I see plenty of youth sports (soccer, baseball, basketball..etc.) Very family oriented also? Amusement parks is about 4-5 hours drive to Socal. Honestly, the neighborhoods I see in Las Vegas/Henderson area are more family orientated than those I've lived in CA.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:27 PM

6 posts, read 22,454 times
I moved from Kentucky, the bluegrass state, and I do miss the green. Oh and Ale8 (it's a soda). I don't, however, miss the wages. I'm a server and in Kentucky made $2.15 and hour.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyi View Post
It is a toss between thunderstorms and natural greenery/wildlife (from the midwest). I am probably leaning toward thunderstorms though. I know we get some--but not nearly enough for me.
We don't have as many but once you have met a real Nevada thunderstorm you will not wish another. The last one here they ended up using helicopters to rescue the fireman caught in the resulting flood...70/80 mph wins, hail, rain getting to the 10 inch an hour level. Broken rain gauges. Four feet of water in the street in back of our property moving fast enough to carry cars.

The only thing worse is a tornado..but we get close...and surpass those in the amount of water that gets dumpled in the lucky area.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:52 PM

66 posts, read 137,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ah your a Texan. No mistake about it.

Love that Blue Bell myself.

Desertsun41,

I was thinking if it is possible to get some Blue Bell sent overnight in dry ice or something. I think that it is the the one thing I miss. There is just no ice cream like it.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:46 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
We don't have as many but once you have met a real Nevada thunderstorm you will not wish another. The last one here they ended up using helicopters to rescue the fireman caught in the resulting flood...70/80 mph wins, hail, rain getting to the 10 inch an hour level. Broken rain gauges. Four feet of water in the street in back of our property moving fast enough to carry cars.

The only thing worse is a tornado..but we get close...and surpass those in the amount of water that gets dumpled in the lucky area.
Were you drinking when you wrote this or just trying to scare someone? You've never, ever, seen 10 inches of rain in Las Vegas in a year, let alone an hour. We average less than 4 inches a year. When we have a thunderstorm the worst we ever get is about 1 inch of rain; maybe an inch & a half. Usually our rain is in the 10th of an inch category. But being desert, water doesn't seep into the ground very fast so it runs down the street. Due to some streets not being engineered very well, some of them have low spots where water accumulates rapidly causing flooding on those streets. In the old days the city never anticipated the need for storm drains since it only rains every few months, so some of the older areas have dips in the intersections to carry water in case it ever does rain. We have several dry washes that mostly run west to east. When there is any rain at all, those washes do what you've seen in the old cowboy movies, they carry flash floods. If you don't spend a lot of time in ditches you probably won't be affected, but every year when we get the big storm, some foolish people try to drive across them and somebody pays. Then my friend that flew the helicopter that rescued those people you're talking about gets to risk his life again because of someone else's mistake.

Most of the time, wherever you are from, you might find yourself wishing for some of that rain you left behind.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,847 times
Occasionally miss the breeze from the Pacific Ocean in the evenings, especially this time of the year when my skin is scorched as soon as I step outside my front door (faces west). Usually by the end of summer (late October?), I've finally adjusted to the heat of Las Vegas. Also miss being able to jump into my car and get to Venice Beach, Redondo Beach or Santa Monica within 20 minutes. Of course, that time would depend on my luck dealing with traffic but to me that was part of the fun in getting there. Picking the best route to get somewhere in a certain amount of time was part of the challenge of living in L.A. Still crave a beef and cheese burrito from Tito's Tacos on Sepulveda and Washington. I've attempted to make Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles here at home but haven't come close yet. Well, I don't cook fried chicken so that screws up the concept right there. Substituting boneless, skinless chicken breast doesn't satisfy the same way, but along with a fluffy homemade waffle the sudden craving for Roscoe's is appeased for a few months.
I also miss the traffic on La Cienega (yes, crazy I know), Ikea and Crate and Barrel stores, Robertson Blvd. and Melrose (oh yes, Pink's!), Magic Mountain and Disneyland.
I'm getting homesick. By the way, I came to Vegas to visit relatives and ended up in the hospital for two months (in an accident) and making this city my new home. I know the question was what is the #1 thing..... I got carried away. Maybe someday I'll like Las Vegas just as much. It is growing on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas