U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2008, 11:00 PM

117 posts, read 38,126 times

Advertisements

Vegas Roach Trap :: Wikipedia

Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 11:12 PM

8,819 posts, read 15,321,297 times
Now won't having something like that against your house or inside just encourage more to come and visit or tell all their relatives??
And who's going to empty that scary looking jar when it's full?

Old 06-11-2008, 12:04 AM

Short answer, from experience, no.

The jar never gets full. Every day or so simply take out the plastic wine glass and empty the jar with water and drowned roaches either in your toilet or outside. It could not be simpler.

Fill empty jar with an inch of water, insert plastic wine glass (with coffee grounds inside), sprinkle a few drops of water on the coffee grounds to make them aroma moist, and return the jar to its place against the stucco wall.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:23 AM

1,492 posts, read 4,627,148 times
Wow, that's something.

I was paranoid when moving here. I did the sevin dust around the perimeter of the building...and inside at the baseboard of all my walls. Left it for a week and came back...vacuumed and swept (but not too close to the baseboards).... 2 days later there was a roach on the ceiling.

Hmmm...didn't get the ceiling. So I sprayed all the ceilings and doorframes, outlet boxes, windows...all around,etc.

So far....so good!

Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 PM

45 posts, read 170,500 times
Since this jar would be on the outside house, would i need to get approval from the hoa? and if so, how do i propose this idea to the hoa? is there a specific time the hoa will make me reomove it from the street? and if they approve my jar, will they let me decorate it, or does it have to be the hoa jar only?

thanks

Old 06-12-2008, 12:26 AM

For you poor yuppie folks with HOA rules, I guess you need to place one of these on the outside of the jars:

Old 06-26-2011, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 11,442 times
Ive been using those huge pickle/olive jars from restaurants and costcos, and every day I go outside and dump my daily coffee grinds in there, right on top of yesterdays grinds, and the dead and dying bugs. I place a big jar in each discreet corner of my backyard, like at both ends of the sides and behind bushes. I use loose bricks or rocks to hold them in place at a diagonal angle with the mouth of the jar touching the foundation wall. I rotate my daily grinds to each jar. Giving each jar a fresh bit of grinds every couple days. After the jars get kinda full, I just put on gloves and throw it all out in a trash bag. No water, no emptying, no handling. Ive been doing this for ten years. Experts say collection traps are very effective. My husband is a certified arborist and outdoor pest control expert and he was very impressed with my coffee traps! I imagine they do help alot with curbing the population in my yard. I couldn't resist the idea of an all natural easy way to cut down on the creepy crawlers. The cockroach is a very nasty disease spreading bug that leaves a mean stinging bite!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:52 AM

119 posts, read 112,626 times
I have been using the Vegas roach traps for several years now, since they were featured on one of the TV news shows. We only drink instant coffee, so I buy a can of the cheapest Wal*Mart coffee that I can find and use a few tablespoons in the bottom of a clean jar with a little hot water. They work great. After catching a few I just cap the jar and throw it in the trash. I keep a couple in the back yard and couple in the front. Since starting this we have never seen a roach in the house.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 AM

119 posts, read 112,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierbu View Post
Since this jar would be on the outside house, would i need to get approval from the hoa? and if so, how do i propose this idea to the hoa? is there a specific time the hoa will make me reomove it from the street? and if they approve my jar, will they let me decorate it, or does it have to be the hoa jar only?

thanks
I would not ask the HOA. I didn't. Just do it. If they complain, which they have not in my case, then you can negotiate a solution.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 AM

15,379 posts, read 23,239,881 times
they MAY not let you have im for fear of you trapping THEIR children in the jars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas