U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:52 AM
MS1

135 posts, read 221,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It is actually a benchmark originally done by the UP in downtown Las Vegas.

It is generally closer to LV Blvd than to I15. But it mostly lies between the two. For istance check the Artisan Hotel. It is around 1500 W. Sahara...but it is to the east of I15.
Ah very interesting. Thanks for the tidbit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 01:18 AM

1,755 posts, read 3,781,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It is actually a benchmark originally done by the UP in downtown Las Vegas.

It is generally closer to LV Blvd than to I15. But it mostly lies between the two. For istance check the Artisan Hotel. It is around 1500 W. Sahara...but it is to the east of I15.
The UNLV area is considered "west"? Get a clue.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:44 AM
MS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
The UNLV area is considered "west"? Get a clue.
No, it's in the eastern vicinity.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:54 AM

11,498 posts, read 20,183,562 times
East/west in the city of Las Vegas is divided by Main Street until it intersects with Las Vegas Boulevard North (note: it is not North Las Vegas Blvd). Then when LV Blvd crosses Sahara it becomes LV BLVD South (NOT South Las Vegas BLVD). The city limits are on the south side of Sahara, thus the Sahara (SE corner) is in the county, and the World's Largest Gift Shop NW corner) is in the city. The east/west dividing line may not exactly track with Las Vegas Blvd south of Sahara as it curves to the SE, but it's pretty close. For those who don't know, The Strip IS Las Vegas Boulevard. And at one time it was also 5th Street and/or the old LA Highway. Streets can be quirky in Las Vegas.

UNLV is roughly located between E. Tropicana to the south and E. Flamingo to the north, and Swenson to the west and S. Maryland Parkway to the east. It may not be a great place to run on the street in that area but the track would be fine.

Las Vegas is the easiest place in the world to find your way around as there are so many landmarks to guide you, and until they got cutsie with curved roads and roundabouts in Summerlin, all the streets are mostly N-S, E-W in a grid with approx. one mile between major intersections. You can never get out of sight of Mt. Charleston to the west, nor Sunrise Mountain to the east. Plus you have the Strip in the middle with all the hotels, especially the Stratosphere.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:04 AM
MS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
East/west in the city of Las Vegas is divided by Main Street until it intersects with Las Vegas Boulevard North (note: it is not North Las Vegas Blvd). Then when LV Blvd crosses Sahara it becomes LV BLVD South (NOT South Las Vegas BLVD). The city limits are on the south side of Sahara, thus the Sahara (SE corner) is in the county, and the World's Largest Gift Shop NW corner) is in the city. The east/west dividing line may not exactly track with Las Vegas Blvd south of Sahara as it curves to the SE, but it's pretty close. For those who don't know, The Strip IS Las Vegas Boulevard. And at one time it was also 5th Street and/or the old LA Highway. Streets can be quirky in Las Vegas.

UNLV is roughly located between E. Tropicana to the south and E. Flamingo to the north, and Swenson to the west and S. Maryland Parkway to the east. It may not be a great place to run on the street in that area but the track would be fine.

Las Vegas is the easiest place in the world to find your way around as there are so many landmarks to guide you, and until they got cutsie with curved roads and roundabouts in Summerlin, all the streets are mostly N-S, E-W in a grid with approx. one mile between major intersections. You can never get out of sight of Mt. Charleston to the west, nor Sunrise Mountain to the east. Plus you have the Strip in the middle with all the hotels, especially the Stratosphere.
Thanks Buzz! Yeah the Stratosphere is like the north star lol!

Old 06-26-2008, 06:21 PM

413 posts, read 942,647 times
I'm so happy ya'll are still posting in this thread. I'm getting more concerned about the weather as it's getting hotter here in Texas and I saw the weather was 110 the other day!!

Old 06-26-2008, 06:50 PM

15,757 posts, read 20,737,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruscurves View Post
I'm so happy ya'll are still posting in this thread. I'm getting more concerned about the weather as it's getting hotter here in Texas and I saw the weather was 110 the other day!!
Locals consider the weather right now very tolerable. In a week or two the flow will change direction and the humidity will go up...that is less tolerable. Will be a few degrees cooler but still less tolerable.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:07 PM

413 posts, read 942,647 times
I'm use to humidity, but I go late at night here in Texas it's about 80 degees when I run. I've ran in no hotter than 90, so I'm a little worried that I will be dying running for 45 minutes straight at the end of July, but I'll make it. I like to push myself.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:16 PM
MS1

Quote:
I'm use to humidity, but I go late at night here in Texas it's about 80 degees when I run. I've ran in no hotter than 90, so I'm a little worried that I will be dying running for 45 minutes straight at the end of July, but I'll make it. I like to push myself.
Hang in there, and you'll get used to it in time.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 AM

16 posts, read 31,450 times
Quote:
You should be fine. I'm from NJ and run in the middle of the day all summer (when it's 90 degrees with 75% humidity). It's the humidity that kills me. When I run in Vegas, I usually go around 8:00 a.m. It's hot, but not unbearable. A hat and sunglasses are a must and carry water if you can tolerate holding things while you run (I can't). I'll be there next week and plan on returning in mid-August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas