Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,394 times

Advertisements

My daughter has accepted a position teaching at Valley HS. She is looking to rent a 1b/1b, $800-900/month in a safe neighborhood. We are looking for feedback about the area near sunrise mountain off of Lake Mead Hwy, the summerlin/lakes area, and green valley/henderson. What are the positive and negatives of each area. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:13 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,047,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy01 View Post
My daughter has accepted a position teaching at Valley HS. She is looking to rent a 1b/1b, $800-900/month in a safe neighborhood. We are looking for feedback about the area near sunrise mountain off of Lake Mead Hwy, the summerlin/lakes area, and green valley/henderson. What are the positive and negatives of each area. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
LVCC - Las Vegas Country Club -The Valley area is tricky. livable to the east but difficult to the west.

LVCC is the ideal choice and there are three or four of the little condos avaiable. There is even one in the hirise...right off the second floor tennis courts and the swimming pool if one wants to live in the resort style. This is actually a relatively rich and stodgy building.

This would put her within a mile of the school and about as safe as anywhere in the Valley...guard gated and security patrolled.

Lots of opportunites in Summerlin, GV in return for a more painful commute. In general she should stay to the east. Henderson/GV. Stay away from Sunrise. Some very nice places but not on the small apartment scene. And you need to know the area before you go there.

If you want to see what is available in the Country Club drop me a DM.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:08 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,213,920 times
I lived on Sunrise Mountain off of Lake Mead. I liked it a lot. Nice and quiet with spectacular views, in my opinion, the best in town. Now it is getting a third grocery (Walmart Neighborhood Market, Albertson's and Fresh something). The library wasn't far, Lake Mead wasn't far and you are driving against the traffic where ever you go. She could go down Hollywood to Sahara to get to Valley HS.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I lived on Sunrise Mountain off of Lake Mead. I liked it a lot. Nice and quiet with spectacular views, in my opinion, the best in town. Now it is getting a third grocery (Walmart Neighborhood Market, Albertson's and Fresh something). The library wasn't far, Lake Mead wasn't far and you are driving against the traffic where ever you go. She could go down Hollywood to Sahara to get to Valley HS.
I agree...but there are a number of problems in the general area. If you are buying a half acre well up the hill fine. But be careful coming down. I would also be careful of the apartments in the area. It is on the lower end a very tough neighborhood. It is not a place I would recommed to a young female teacher.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:44 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,213,920 times
I didn't have any problems living there as a single female.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I didn't have any problems living there as a single female.
And I know some single females who would be very comfortable living in the naked city or sierra vista.

As I have said repeatedly the area requires local knowledge. It can be very nice if you know you way around. It can be pure terror if you don't. I too consider it one of the best views of the strip available. And at Hollywood and aboute lots of the singles are great. Along Lake Mead and to the east I would not recommend it.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:45 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,763,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And I know some single females who would be very comfortable living in the naked city or sierra vista.

As I have said repeatedly the area requires local knowledge. It can be very nice if you know you way around. It can be pure terror if you don't. I too consider it one of the best views of the strip available. And at Hollywood and aboute lots of the singles are great. Along Lake Mead and to the east I would not recommend it.
I agree this area is going down hill fast. Constant police activity in that area now, when the sun goes down out comes the trouble.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 7,394 times
Thank you all for your input. I will probably have more specific questions as we narrow down apartment possibilities. The apartment complex we were wondering about, in what I assume is the sunrise area, are the Pyramids off of East Lake Mead Blvd near Shadow Rock Park. I am wondering who lives along the far east side of Vegas and what are the problems with the neighborhoods. Again, thanks for any feedback and input.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:47 AM

The east side is a lower socio-economic area. Largely Hispanic. There are nice places on the east side but you really need local knowledge. Local resources can be difficult. The Walmart on Nellis is famed for interesting clientele.

For an overview of crime see...

Crime in Las Vegas

YOu can also see individual locations at...

CrimeView Community Incident Map

Old 06-25-2008, 10:47 AM

818 posts, read 3,687,215 times
I went to high school at Valley, Class of '94, and still live in this area. I agree with most of what has been said in this thread. The Las Vegas Country Club is a great first choice.

I don't see any reason to live so far east or north of VHS as Lake Mead or Nellis, since that area isn't any nicer and the commute would just be a drain of time and money. The Northeast side is known for being a traffic nightmare with only one freeway ramp. There is a case for not living near Valley though. My wife is a school teacher and she prefers to live outside of the area zoned for her school, so as not to run into parents and students on her free time. And God forbid the kids find out where you live!

If you do choose to live further away from Valley, head due South. The commute down Eastern from Valley to the more suburban Silverado Ranch area would take about 20-25 minutes. Look into apartments or condos in the 89123 zip code. Once you pass Sunset Park, you will begin to notice things looking a little less gritty - probably a good thing for a single lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas