Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:28 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,898,389 times

Advertisements

The sweet red pepper I bought at Albertsons was grown in the US. It was large, cheap and very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 10:55 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,188,035 times
I bought 2 of those giant red bell peppers this past saturday. 79cents each. I'm sauteeing them with some tofu, red potatos and corn for tomorrows dinner.
I couldn't believe how cheap they were..considering a few months ago at Albertsons, they were trying to sell them for $4.99 each.
I always wonder why some produce goes for such a high price, then gets wasted when nobody buys it. If they just sold it for less, all of it would sell.

Definitely check out the Farmers markets for locally grown produce. Depending on where you live in town, there should be a farmers market near you. Also, Winder farms in Utah, they have home delivery here. And of course like a poster above stated, buy organic whenever possible.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:24 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,898,389 times
Maybe they're cheaper because they were from US and not shipped in? I sauteed mine tonight--yummy!

Old 09-30-2008, 01:22 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,219,492 times
A nice day trip, or weekend is St. George, UT. In the little town of Santa Clara, a suburb of St. George, is Frei's Fruit Market that's been in business for 50 years. They grow a lot of their own produce and some of it comes from northern Utah, and Colorado. It was recently rebuilt and the town put in a new street-scape so that now you can park on the pavement in front of Frei's. We always stock up when in St. George. I got a few peaches recently and now wish I'd bought more. They were delicious. So were the other things like the yellow squash, apples, green beans, and homemade jelly.

I cook three to five pounds of green beans with bacon and a little salt and pepper, covered with water, in a slow cooker for several hours. A few hours before they are done I add some little potatoes. I have also added carrots, but not usually. If you cook the potatoes too long they fall apart. What we don't eat right away we freeze. I think the longer you cook green beans the better. I've actually slow cooked them for 24 hours, but usually I go about 12 or 14. It's a West Virginia thing.

To get to Santa Clara, go north on Bluff St, turn left on Sunset which becomes Santa Clara Drive. It's not too far from Bluff St and easy to spot on the left about in the middle of Santa Clara. If you want a scenic route that's different from I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge, take the Old Highway 91 through Santa Clara. It comes out on I-15 just north of Mesquite at Beaver Dam/Littlefield, AZ. Or take that route on the way up to St. George.

Dixie Weekly News - Home 'Freis'

Old 09-30-2008, 03:00 AM

Frei's market brings back nice memories. I used to go there every other weekend when I lived in St.George. Always the best produce and the best price back then. I definitely need a trip out there before it gets too cold.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:49 PM

395 posts, read 1,076,535 times
It depends on what you want to pay and what you need. But Sweet onions I never see from outside the US at the places I shop at. Maui Sweet, Walla Walla Sweet, TX Sweet and (the best) Vidalia Sweet are all I see.

Whole Paycheck (Foods Market) show where all the produce is from and if it is conventional or organic. That said the cost is normally 2-3x what it is at smiths.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:03 PM

109 posts, read 499,501 times
Also any one know what supermarkets carry plaintains or any carribean food products like Goya foods?? I see a ton of mexican products all over but not much else. Ive tried Vons, albertsons and Smith's, but no luck.

Last edited by Dimm; 09-30-2008 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 09-30-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimm View Post
Also any one know what supermarkets carry plaintains or any carribean food products like Goya foods?? I see a ton of mexican products all over but not much else. Ive tried Vons, albertsons and Smith's, but no luck.
You could try calling different grocery stores around the valley to find out if they carry plantains. I've seen them in all the stores you mentioned, plus Fresh and Easy a time or two. Food 4 less, Walmart neighborhood stores plus the super centers, Even Trader Joe's. They tend to be seasonal, so not always there.
Goya products are in most supermarkets in the ethnic foods section. A Smiths on Sandhill/Flamingo has a big section devoted to ethnic foods. I also think wherever the population is bigger for certain ethnic groups, the more the supermarkets and specialty markets will carry what you want.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:42 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,646,553 times
if you're looking for goya why not go to one of the hispanic markets? Marianas, King Ranch, La Bonita, Liborio, etc.

whole foods carries a large selection of goya

Old 09-30-2008, 05:43 PM

109 posts, read 499,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
You could try calling different grocery stores around the valley to find out if they carry plantains. I've seen them in all the stores you mentioned, plus Fresh and Easy a time or two. Food 4 less, Walmart neighborhood stores plus the super centers, Even Trader Joe's. They tend to be seasonal, so not always there.
Goya products are in most supermarkets in the ethnic foods section. A Smiths on Sandhill/Flamingo has a big section devoted to ethnic foods. I also think wherever the population is bigger for certain ethnic groups, the more the supermarkets and specialty markets will carry what you want.

Thanks, thats helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas