U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2008, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,486 posts, read 5,477,380 times
Reputation: 851

Advertisements

The one at Lake Mead/Rancho? Isn't that one inside the Texas Station or Fiesta? I figured those ones would do better. One of the busiest ones in on Decatur/Trop. I think that one is even open 24 hours which is rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2008, 09:22 PM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
7,594 posts, read 4,839,372 times
Reputation: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
The one at Lake Mead/Rancho? Isn't that one inside the Texas Station or Fiesta? I figured those ones would do better. One of the busiest ones in on Decatur/Trop. I think that one is even open 24 hours which is rare.
There's one in Texas Station but I believe the one the one to close is the new one behind the Fiesta at the Wal-Mart plaza.
That Starbucks has only been open for a year or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 04:06 AM
 
Location: South Strip, NV --> Philly (Fall 2009)
2,404 posts, read 7,511,950 times
Reputation: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
It was announced that only 5 stores will be closing in our valley

Desert Inn & Decatur

Tropicana & Eastern

Charleston & Brush

Lake Mead & Rancho

Sky Point & Buffalo
wow, eastern/tropicana and charleston/brush have recently opened too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 04:40 AM
 
Location: Sitting on a park bench...
2,547 posts, read 4,103,022 times
Reputation: 594
The one at Skye Point & Buffalo is also no no more than two years old. Not a drive thru, and not too much parking. A shame, it was near my doctor's office. There are two drive thru one's not to far away, Tenaya & Azure, and Farm & N Elkhorn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
11,597 posts, read 20,577,821 times
Reputation: 4183
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
We all know that there are just too many Starbucks stores around.
Have you cut down on your coffee consumption the last few months?
Who says there are too many Starbucks? You? I don't. Are there too many Walgreens? 7/11 stores? Walmarts? Albertsons? There aren't enough when I'm looking for one.

The Starbucks growth phenomenon has had more to do with real estate than coffee if I understand the CEO of Starbucks correctly. Now their real estate investments are dropping in value just like yours and mine. It makes sense to cut some of your losses from time to time.

From what I've seen I don't think anyone has cut their coffee consumption in the last 200 years (not that I've been here that long), so why would they start now? I always cut back on hot coffee in the summer and drink more iced tea.

Why don't we ask other chains if they over expanded and are cutting back? I'm sure you'd find a lot of them have. Business chains ebb and flow all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,378 posts, read 23,327,929 times
Reputation: 8605
If I cut my coffee consumption, many people would die.

I don't care HOW much I pay for coffee......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 11:35 AM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
7,594 posts, read 4,839,372 times
Reputation: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Who says there are too many Starbucks? You? I don't. Are there too many Walgreens? 7/11 stores? Walmarts? Albertsons? There aren't enough when I'm looking for one.
OK you have a different opinion. I believe than many would agree that in Las Vegas we have way too many SB's. You can find some within a mile of each other. Remember that Starbucks mainly serves one thing, coffee.
The other stores you mentioned have hundreds if not thousands of items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 11:38 AM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
7,594 posts, read 4,839,372 times
Reputation: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
wow, eastern/tropicana and charleston/brush have recently opened too...
Charleston & Brush is only about a mile from Charleston & Decatur and has no drive though. Also for some it might be just a bit that more difficult to get into and out of that plaza. It is amazing how that slight "difficulty" can prove fatal to a store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
11,597 posts, read 20,577,821 times
Reputation: 4183
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
OK you have a different opinion. I believe than many would agree that in Las Vegas we have way too many SB's. You can find some within a mile of each other. Remember that Starbucks mainly serves one thing, coffee.
The other stores you mentioned have hundreds if not thousands of items.
I'm really curious about this. How do we determine that a business has "too many" stores? What are you basing the "too many" on? Why is it any one's business how many stores a company has? Is it really any skin off my nose that Starbucks decided it was in their best interest to build a lot of stores? Doesn't it only make it more convenient for us that there are many choices to go to? Or are you just worried that they are going to lose too much money and go under, then you won't have any Starbucks? I did worry about that aspect. I'd hate to go back to a world without really good coffee like Starbucks. McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts may have good coffee, but it's not as satisfying as Starbucks, and The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. They have great coffee and great service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 PM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
7,594 posts, read 4,839,372 times
Reputation: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I'm really curious about this. How do we determine that a business has "too many" stores? What are you basing the "too many" on? Why is it any one's business how many stores a company has? Is it really any skin off my nose that Starbucks decided it was in their best interest to build a lot of stores? Doesn't it only make it more convenient for us that there are many choices to go to? Or are you just worried that they are going to lose too much money and go under, then you won't have any Starbucks? I did worry about that aspect. I'd hate to go back to a world without really good coffee like Starbucks. McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts may have good coffee, but it's not as satisfying as Starbucks, and The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. They have great coffee and great service.
Sure the profit margin is very high in coffee but the SB's action to close some stores speaks for itself. They just expanded too quickly and some of their stores did not have high enough traffic volumes.
Need I say more?

Asides, I think the there are way too many stores of all types in the valley. Something has to give at one point and currently they are "giving in" to a bad economy. Over commercialization and consumption is not the way to go in the long run IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top