U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:17 PM

11,570 posts, read 20,509,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickiBoston View Post
I have a feeling its going to take a little while getting used to Vegas, but I am up for a challenge. I have been reading on these posts that most people that live in Vegas arent fro there, for the most part is that true? Also I am used to doing so much out here and always can find something to do..besides touristy things, what else could you recommend for a newcomer coming to Vegas?
From almost any city in the country, but especially those in the northeast, Las Vegas and other western cities are almost like going to a different country. And it's the same for us to go to out east. That's not too unusual though, as it is like that in every region of the country, north to south, southwest to northwest, etc. Just remember, "when in Rome..." The reason you're coming here is for the difference, so don't complain that it isn't like Boston, and don't try or wish to change us. Change is always a little upsetting, so just chill and you'll grow to like it here. Remember that is isn't better or worse than what you're used to, it's just different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 10:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 21,070,611 times
In actual fact there is virtually no local seafood in Los Angeles. And that which exists is basically a private thing where you know somebody. We do some good things with certain CA fish...but none are available commercially.

The secret to good seafood in LA is the airport and the size and makeup of the community. They get New England Lobsters and still Frozen Magura from the airport. Live scallops and razor clams flown in from the NW. The Halibut is virtually all caught in Alaska and flown in frozen. And where do the king crabs come from?

The east coast is much better. One of the very few remaining advantages of the area...but then again, they don't get the good stuff out of Japan and SE asia like you do in the west.

So enjoy the local fluke and halibut and the wonderous lobster. But note your Big Tunas fly to Japan...and you don't get the good specialty stuff there. Who in NYC has ever seen a surf clam?

The east does get points for that lobster though...

Old 07-07-2008, 07:32 PM

110 posts, read 497,995 times
Good points about the east/west culture. As a native Californian, one of the most difficult parts about living in Florida was the east coast culture. Most people who moved down there were from the midwest/northeast and the differences in culture are huge.

Now living in Vegas, I can say that there are people from all over here but it must be jarring for those from the east - for one thing, you have to put up with so many of us Californians. The two cultures are quite different but having experienced them both, I must say it's great to get to know people from all over.

As for seafood, I wasn't really a fan of seafood until I lived back east. It took living in Florida, enjoying Atlantic salmon, to be able to enjoy Pacific salmon. LOL! And boy do we miss Grouper! Probably for good seafood in Vegas, you have to go to the expensive restaurants on the Strip where they think nothing of flying in fresh fish from all over and charging you for it too. Maybe save it for a special occasion.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:37 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,914,083 times
Off the strip, you can get pretty good fish dishes at places like Roy's.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:54 PM

11,570 posts, read 20,509,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Off the strip, you can get pretty good fish dishes at places like Roy's.
Sorry, I don't like to disagree with you but IMHO Roy's sucks. The service is insultingly bad, the prices are way too high, the food at best is mediocre. I've tried a lot of seafood in Las Vegas and have always been disappointed. But then I have friends who believe that (yuck) Red Lobster is the pinnacle in seafood to them.

It's really impossible to find the type of seafood that you get along the northeast coast anywhere but the northeast coast. New Orleans is a great place for seafood too, as is Baltimore. I have found some pretty good seafood in San Diego and a few beach towns in California, but even those don't compare with San Francisco, or Nawlins, and even San Francisco and Nawlins don't compare with Mass. or Maine.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:02 PM

8 posts, read 10,660 times
Buzz..I totally agree with you! I am ready for the change to go from the east to west coast. I am realizing that the first month or two may be difficult seeing I will be across the country and by myself. And for that reason I am so excited for Vegas ..lifes to short and you got to take chances!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: