Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:38 PM

307 posts, read 1,222,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskingmylifeforpeanuts View Post
Teachers Get Paid TOO Much!Teachers get paid TOO much...I'm fed up with teachers and their heftysalary schedules. What we need here is a little perspective.If I had my way, I'd pay these teachers myself-I'd pay them babysittingwages. That's right-instead of paying these outragous taxes, I'd give them$3 an hour out of my own pocket. And I'm only going to pay them for fivehours, not coffee breaks. That would be $15 a day. Each parent should pay$15 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their child. Even if they havemore than one child, it's still a lot cheaper than private day care.Now, how many children do they teach every day-maybe 20? That's$15x20=$300 a day. But remember, they only work 180 days a year! I amnot going to pay them for all those vacations! $300x180=$54,000. (Just aminute, I think my claculator needs new batteries.)I know now you teachers will say-what about those who have 10 yearsexperience and a mster's degree? Well, maybe (to be fair) they could getthe minimum wage, and instead of just baby-sitting, they could read thekids a story. We could round that off to aobut $5 an hour, times fivehours, times 20 children. That's $500 a day times 180 days. THat's$90,000...HUH?!?
I am sorry I can't hear you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 11:10 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskingmylifeforpeanuts View Post
Teachers Get Paid TOO Much!Teachers get paid TOO much...I'm fed up with teachers and their heftysalary schedules. What we need here is a little perspective.If I had my way, I'd pay these teachers myself-I'd pay them babysittingwages. That's right-instead of paying these outragous taxes, I'd give them$3 an hour out of my own pocket. And I'm only going to pay them for fivehours, not coffee breaks. That would be $15 a day. Each parent should pay$15 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their child. Even if they havemore than one child, it's still a lot cheaper than private day care.Now, how many children do they teach every day-maybe 20? That's$15x20=$300 a day. But remember, they only work 180 days a year! I amnot going to pay them for all those vacations! $300x180=$54,000. (Just aminute, I think my claculator needs new batteries.)I know now you teachers will say-what about those who have 10 yearsexperience and a mster's degree? Well, maybe (to be fair) they could getthe minimum wage, and instead of just baby-sitting, they could read thekids a story. We could round that off to aobut $5 an hour, times fivehours, times 20 children. That's $500 a day times 180 days. THat's$90,000...HUH?!?

the jibberish hurt my eyes!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 AM

815 posts, read 2,051,768 times
I was accepted to teach physics at CCSD five years ago. I had to do a lot of paperwork and interviews and recommendations just to get considered for the position. They offered me a job with 20% more teaching time and 50% more students than my last teaching position; and all of this extra burden for 40% of my prior pay! How do you expect to educate your children with that LOW of a salary? I declined the 'offer'.

I have to side with riskingmylifeforpeanuts. I can understand why his math is beyond the comprehension of some of the posters on this thread, but he is spot on. One point he forgot to mention is that, while teachers were in college, burdening themselves with student loan debt, some of the posters who disagree with us had a four year head start in earning a living. Teaching is an artform, it is not for everyone. We come home tired not because of manual labor, but because we make thousands of decisions during the course of a single day. If you think education is expensive.....try ignorance. You might as well bring over our Chinese/North Korean masters now, and save them some money.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:40 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Teaching is a thankless job. I was a teacher's aide back in high school. I watched all the work teacher's had to do. I had to grade the other student's papers, and that alone was not fun. It is not an easy job whatsoever, and it is very repetitive to teach the same thing 6 times in a row each day.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:16 AM

8 posts, read 10,785 times
I personally want to thank teachers for all they do. They are entrusted with a very important job and should be paid better than they are given it's importance. Most teachers are dedicated and caring people doing work the rest of us could not do. I am proud that my wife and son are both teachers and have met and spoken with many of their collegues. They all should be repected for what they do and their pay does not reflect their true worth. THANKS TEACHERS!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:09 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,111 times
All teachers and other government connected union jobs should never be paid more than the average wage and benefits found in the private sector.
In other words, cut their pay 60% and almost completely remove their retirement and leave them their social security.
It's all about union over payments in a monopoly setting, which by law should be illegal.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:21 AM

815 posts, read 2,051,768 times
cut their pay 60%

almost completely remove their retirement

union........by law should be illegal

Don't hold back, RCCCB! C'mon, tell us how you really feel.
If you instituted these three suggestions of yours, you would certainly trim the budget of the schools. I really don't know who you are going to hire at that rate, however. Seems to me that students having spent four years in college would not be willing to work for the RCCCB school district for your absurd salary of $16,000 per year. Would the position also give the successful applicants a nice new cardboard box to live in? Perhaps with a view of the highway from the underpass they would have to call home. Yeah, the RCCCB school district would get some quality educators!!

If you think education is expensive.....try ignorance.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:03 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
All teachers and other government connected union jobs should never be paid more than the average wage and benefits found in the private sector.
In other words, cut their pay 60% and almost completely remove their retirement and leave them their social security.
It's all about union over payments in a monopoly setting, which by law should be illegal.
That's the kind of thinking that keeps me abroad as a teacher.

I'd love to go back to the U.S. and teach, but in the U.S., the anti-education and anti-teacher thinking is way too strong...not to mention thankless and low pay...plus way too many medicated and whacked out kids.

Over here in Asia, I'm actually paid well, respected, have great classes, enjoy the students, etc.

Funny how Asia is becoming a great refuge for teachers who like teaching. America is where the educated elsewhere go to get great jobs - as America doesn't seem to be producing many of them anymore, unfortunately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas