U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-07-2008, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas (Huntridge)
1,158 posts, read 2,222,963 times
Reputation: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Probably a long horn beetle. Do you have wood or wood pallets around you home?
my neighborhood is very treed, and there are numerous houses w/ recently cutback trunks around. people directly behind me have some large stumps from trees cut down last year and my neighbors are doing a bit of construction/renovation.....

so yeah...lotsa wood around.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2008, 06:26 PM
 
1,339 posts, read 2,694,837 times
Reputation: 383
Yep, they are long horned beetles. They look nasty, but are pretty harmless to you. They are harmful to trees. They can kill them. The first time I saw one, I freaked. One of my techs brought it to my office. Nasty looking things!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 06:35 PM
 
2,502 posts, read 5,594,418 times
Reputation: 807
I wouldn't worry too much. Bugs in Vegas aren't nearly as bad as the amount of bugs in the midwest.

You might occasionally see a few out here, but with a good exterminator, you likely won't see any at all.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas (Huntridge)
1,158 posts, read 2,222,963 times
Reputation: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Yep, they are long horned beetles. They look nasty, but are pretty harmless to you. They are harmful to trees. They can kill them. The first time I saw one, I freaked. One of my techs brought it to my office. Nasty looking things!
yeah, i picked it up and looked at it (stayed clear of the mandibles) and it was fairly patient about it. still, i like my trees so maybe i will do a little research on getting rid of them (or, more to the point tell my landlords that there are some biggies eyeing the trees....

thx BB
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 07:27 PM
 
100 posts, read 261,316 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I wouldn't worry too much. Bugs in Vegas aren't nearly as bad as the amount of bugs in the midwest.

You might occasionally see a few out here, but with a good exterminator, you likely won't see any at all.
Yeah, I better not have bugs in my house when I move..right Wendy
(can i say that here?) I keep getting edited
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
11,264 posts, read 18,796,116 times
Reputation: 3809
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
Not the best at the picture thing but here is the best I could get.
Do you live near a desert area 5Kings? I've only seen scorpions near undeveloped land. Don't think I've ever seen a bark scorpion. They say those came in from AZ in the bark of palm trees. I'll have to check my palm trees with a black light some night but don't think I'll find any. I've seen exactly five scorpions in 44 years in Las Vegas. In Texas they were everywhere, and I hear it's like that in southern AZ. You will sometimes see them in your headlights scurrying across the road out in the desert at night.

Never saw a horned beetle here. Must have been brought in on landscape materials. We are seriously lacking in good bugs and critters around here but it's pleasant not to have to deal with them too much. I was excited one time when I found an actual green grasshopper in my yard, along with a couple of toads.

These people that are moving here and worried about insects must watch too much Discovery channel and old western movies or something. We hardly have any nasty critters here and wherever you came from you had 1000x more than we have. Worrying about bugs here is just silly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 11:13 PM
 
1,339 posts, read 2,694,837 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Palm View Post
Yeah, I better not have bugs in my house when I move..right Wendy
(can i say that here?) I keep getting edited

Yep, you can! I know they edited out last thread. Oh well, you should be pretty good. If you see anything it should be dead, but if not we can be out there that day, or the next. So you are fine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 11:19 PM
 
1,339 posts, read 2,694,837 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Do you live near a desert area 5Kings? I've only seen scorpions near undeveloped land. Don't think I've ever seen a bark scorpion. They say those came in from AZ in the bark of palm trees. I'll have to check my palm trees with a black light some night but don't think I'll find any. I've seen exactly five scorpions in 44 years in Las Vegas. In Texas they were everywhere, and I hear it's like that in southern AZ. You will sometimes see them in your headlights scurrying across the road out in the desert at night.

Never saw a horned beetle here. Must have been brought in on landscape materials. We are seriously lacking in good bugs and critters around here but it's pleasant not to have to deal with them too much. I was excited one time when I found an actual green grasshopper in my yard, along with a couple of toads.

These people that are moving here and worried about insects must watch too much Discovery channel and old western movies or something. We hardly have any nasty critters here and wherever you came from you had 1000x more than we have. Worrying about bugs here is just silly.
The only reason people are seeing more activity this year is due to the lack of water. Insects are just like you and I, looking for food and water. If you have a pest control service and you see them dead or almost dead inside your home it is due to the fact that when they have the products on them, and they feel themselves dying. The first thing they want is food and water, because they feel if they get that then it will save them.

The long horn beetle has mostly been here due to wood pallets.

But I have to say that there is a lot more activity then previous years. I have had wind scorpions, bees, wolf spiders, and roaches. Last year I was lucky if I saw 3 roaches and a couple of ants.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2008, 12:21 AM
 
17 posts, read 37,539 times
Reputation: 14
I'm on the 8400 block of W Charleston and there are cockroaches everywhere outside. Not the big black kind, a smaller brown kind, but still.... having worked at PETCO (not any of the vegas ones) for a while made me desperately fear them. It's not a logical fear, just the way cockroaches in particular scuttle sets off warnings in my brain. If I walk 50 feet outside at night I come across about five of them. I don't know if it's the gravel in our complex or what... but they definitely seem to hang out on that stuff. Zero in the apartment so far, only one on the balcony (second floor) but they are all over the place outside.

But unless you have an irrational fear of cockroaches (hi!) you'll be pleased compared to MI. I grew up in Iowa and I think there are similar bugs. It's amazing going on road trips and not getting all the dead bugs on the front of your car, and it's great to be able to leave food uncovered on the counter for a while (especially cakes, etc.) and not worry about flies.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2008, 01:37 AM
 
Location: In my house
8,767 posts, read 14,312,364 times
Reputation: 5319
5kings, have you seen the scorpions in your Summerlin home or Aliante home?
I've yet to find a scorpion yet in both places I've lived so far. Just those darn field roaches that we all hate. More so this year because of all that road work out on the beltway. I can't wait til that's finished.
----
Wendy, when the monsoons get here starting late this week, when the really super duper big black roaches come out from underground, will that poison keep them out of my home like the smaller ones? Just curious because I've felt so calm the last week or so with none coming in, and I don't want to live in fear again.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top