Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:21 PM

15 posts, read 42,778 times

Advertisements

I'm not a typically squeamish person, but the bug stories from Vegas do have me getting a bit nervous. I've never had to deal with cockroaches before, and don't relish the idea of ever having to do so. At first, I didn't think it would bother me, but the more I think about it, the less comfortable I get with the idea of having a buggy apartment. *twitch*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 12:28 PM

560 posts, read 2,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Ugh!! Who found them and where? What did you do? My husband is there now. I told him I want a report on this apt. He better do any caulking and exterminating before I get there and I know it still will be challenging.
First let me say that in the 2 years we have been here (WOW 2 years already!!) this is the first time I have even laid eyes on a live scorpion. The first one was in my daughters' bathroom and my oldest found it while picking up the rugs to mop the floor. The second one was AFTER the bug guy sprayed and was crawling up our livingroom wall during the day, which is unusual. My husband caught both of them and kept them in a jar. (he thought he had a new pet, NOT)

Our bug guy came the next day and re sprayed and now our fingers are crossed. They were, thankfully, not the Bark Scorpion but the Desert Scorpion which is supposedly similar to a bee sting if they get you. Still, not interested in finding out the truth in that statement, so hopefully they are gone.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:28 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake.or.death11 View Post
I'm not a typically squeamish person, but the bug stories from Vegas do have me getting a bit nervous. I've never had to deal with cockroaches before, and don't relish the idea of ever having to do so. At first, I didn't think it would bother me, but the more I think about it, the less comfortable I get with the idea of having a buggy apartment. *twitch*

Just call them Water Bugs, then they do not sound as bad.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:18 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake.or.death11 View Post
I know of no place in the US/Canada/Europe without cockroaches. They live absolutely anywhere that man does. Las Vegas has a relatively minor problem with them. Wet climates are far worse.

Virtually all apartments everywhere has problems with cockroaches. Wherever you are there is always one slob who keeps them going.

Good hygiene and bug control are the secret.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
First let me say that in the 2 years we have been here (WOW 2 years already!!) this is the first time I have even laid eyes on a live scorpion. The first one was in my daughters' bathroom and my oldest found it while picking up the rugs to mop the floor. The second one was AFTER the bug guy sprayed and was crawling up our livingroom wall during the day, which is unusual. My husband caught both of them and kept them in a jar. (he thought he had a new pet, NOT)

Our bug guy came the next day and re sprayed and now our fingers are crossed. They were, thankfully, not the Bark Scorpion but the Desert Scorpion which is supposedly similar to a bee sting if they get you. Still, not interested in finding out the truth in that statement, so hopefully they are gone.
Post a picture. I am skeptical. Every scorpion I have seen was a bark.

Buy a black light and go hunting. If you cut the population back it cuts down intrusions.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:59 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,862,964 times
The mosquitos in MI are bad and you won't get that in the arid NV desert. You can sit outside at night and not get attacked by the blood suckers.

But, the Black Widow spiders are all over the place and give me the serious heeby-jeebies. That is one scary, nasty looking spider. I have found two in my garage and my skin still crawls when thinking about those things.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:01 PM

560 posts, read 2,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Post a picture. I am skeptical. Every scorpion I have seen was a bark.

Buy a black light and go hunting. If you cut the population back it cuts down intrusions.
Not the best at the picture thing but here is the best I could get.
Attached Thumbnails
Can't wait to get away from all the MI bugs!-101_0414.jpg   Can't wait to get away from all the MI bugs!-101_0419.jpg  

Old 07-07-2008, 03:33 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
Not the best at the picture thing but here is the best I could get.
hard to really see the pics...but they look like desert hairys (do they have 'hair'?) the native scorp does (it isn't really hair).

other diagnostic traits = overall size, size of pedipalps (claws) and tail. the bark is significantly smaller species and, as is most often the case w/ more venomous scorps, has very slender claws.

on another note...twice this weekend i saw this beetle around my yard that was HUGE...biggest one i have ever seen in the USA. all black and pbby >3" long and at least an inch wide (longer than a credit card and about 1/2 the width of one). neone know what kind this is? i did a quick search and couldn't find anything like it. i'll try to get a pic if it shows back up again.

**edit** i just did some more looking around and think this might be the beast: Species Derobrachus hovorei - Palo Verde Root Borer - BugGuide.Net neone else seen these around LV?

Last edited by guinnessjim; 07-07-2008 at 03:51 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 04:11 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
Probably a long horn beetle. Do you have wood or wood pallets around you home?

Old 07-07-2008, 04:54 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk View Post
The mosquitos in MI are bad and you won't get that in the arid NV desert. You can sit outside at night and not get attacked by the blood suckers.

But, the Black Widow spiders are all over the place and give me the serious heeby-jeebies. That is one scary, nasty looking spider. I have found two in my garage and my skin still crawls when thinking about those things.
Ok, seriously rethinking my MI bug phobia. I told my husband to sit in the dark for a little bit then turn on the lights and check for critters. I don't think he will tell me if there are!! It just may be all I need to can the whole move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas