Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:08 AM

3 posts, read 8,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekwars2000 View Post
Huh? VegasGrace I'd hate to point out if you were going 35 in a 25 you were indeed speeding. How can you say you do not speed?
I think he meant that he was "accused" of 35 in a 25. I found out that just because a Vegas cop said you were doing something doesn't necessarily make it so. We were passing thru a few months back, returning home from visiting our daughter at Camp Pendleton. Moving along with all of the other traffic driving up on the south edge of town. Noticed a squad with its lights on and attempted to get over to the passing lane to clear it. He had just finished writing a ticket to the car he had pulled over. As he was walking back to his squad and we were just going by, he pointed his finger at us and motioned us to pull over, which we did. He then informed us that we were doing 80 in a 55 (I must have missed the breaking news that surgeons had come up with a way to graft a radar gun into a cops finger) and that we were getting a citation. He didn't give us a chance to say anything. While he was back writing the ticket, I went and checked my website (forgot to mention that I had been uploading a gps track to my website on our trip so friends and family knew where we were) and found that we had been doing 70. So I guess he was correct in that we were speeding (just not as fast as he claims), but so was every other car around us and most of them going faster. Also, none of us in the vehicle saw a reduced speed sign coming in on the freeway and after we left only counted 1 speed posting thru Vegas on the interstate. When we returned home I tried to call the DA and explain the situation, but was told by a clerk that they don't do it that way in Vegas. You have to send a letter to the judge and the judge will set a time for you to appear IN PERSON to explain your case. It would cost me more for airfare to come back out there than the $400 they set as the fine. Quite the little system that is going on out there. We had planned on stopping and seeing the dam and maybe catch a show or two, but decided not to after the warm welcome we received.

I also was informed by a friend that Vegas was ranked at the top of the list as one of the worse cities in the US for speedtraps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 11:24 AM

395 posts, read 1,076,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missedfortune View Post
I also was informed by a friend that Vegas was ranked at the top of the list as one of the worse cities in the US for speedtraps.
You friend is incorrect. We barely have enough cops here to run a speedtrap. I rarely see cops on the roads.

Setting up a cop on the interstate between St Rose on the way into town is hardly a speed trap. 70 in a 55 is blatantly speeding it is almost 30% over the speed limit. Why is it that hard to follow the speed limits, esp. in a work zone (which is what that area is if the interstate speed limit was 55).

Old 09-11-2008, 12:18 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,439,972 times
Quote:
I think he meant that he was "accused" of 35 in a 25. I found out that just because a Vegas cop said you were doing something doesn't necessarily make it so. We were passing thru a few months back, returning home from visiting our daughter at Camp Pendleton. Moving along with all of the other traffic driving up on the south edge of town. Noticed a squad with its lights on and attempted to get over to the passing lane to clear it. He had just finished writing a ticket to the car he had pulled over. As he was walking back to his squad and we were just going by, he pointed his finger at us and motioned us to pull over, which we did. He then informed us that we were doing 80 in a 55 (I must have missed the breaking news that surgeons had come up with a way to graft a radar gun into a cops finger) and that we were getting a citation. He didn't give us a chance to say anything. While he was back writing the ticket, I went and checked my website (forgot to mention that I had been uploading a gps track to my website on our trip so friends and family knew where we were) and found that we had been doing 70. So I guess he was correct in that we were speeding (just not as fast as he claims), but so was every other car around us and most of them going faster. Also, none of us in the vehicle saw a reduced speed sign coming in on the freeway and after we left only counted 1 speed posting thru Vegas on the interstate. When we returned home I tried to call the DA and explain the situation, but was told by a clerk that they don't do it that way in Vegas. You have to send a letter to the judge and the judge will set a time for you to appear IN PERSON to explain your case. It would cost me more for airfare to come back out there than the $400 they set as the fine. Quite the little system that is going on out there. We had planned on stopping and seeing the dam and maybe catch a show or two, but decided not to after the warm welcome we received.

Good to hear that... if all you and your friend say is true that is.

Helps keep me and those I love and know a bit safer on the roads from irresponsible drivers, especially from those who don't live here.

It also tells me that my tax dollars going to pay the salaries and benefits of Metro police officers are being put to good use apparently.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:47 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,977,348 times
WRITE em Dano......if ya do the crime pay the price.....

Old 09-11-2008, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 8,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Good to hear that... if all you and your friend say is true that is.

Helps keep me and those I love and know a bit safer on the roads from irresponsible drivers, especially from those who don't live here.

It also tells me that my tax dollars going to pay the salaries and benefits of Metro police officers are being put to good use apparently.
Never have had a problem with HONEST Law Enforcement. But maybe you should take some of your tax dollars and also the money from all of the fines that are being taken in, and post a few more speed limit signs and also some "Reduced Speed Ahead" signs. These are usually put on an interstate whenever the posted speed is reduced and also in construction zones. As I had mentioned, 5 of us in the vehicle never saw either. We were not intentionally speeding. Call it irresponsible, but I don't believe that all the other vehicles that were flying by us were all irresponsible tourists. I would guess that a lot of them were your honest, law-abiding citizens that live in Vegas.

It really sounds like you don't like the tourists visiting your town. I'll pass it on to anyone I know that is considering going out there and let them know that they are not welcome. Maybe if enough people pass the word around, you won't have to worry about all the troublesome drivers on the road.

Sorry if any of this offended anyone. It was not my intent. But you really should do something about getting some signs posted and maybe you wouldn't have such a problem...

Old 09-11-2008, 09:12 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,863,243 times
whatever....

Old 09-11-2008, 09:41 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,647,224 times
i agree, there aren't enough speed limit signs, i have noticed especially in North Las Vegas...

Old 09-11-2008, 10:17 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,439,972 times
Quote:
Never have had a problem with HONEST Law Enforcement. But maybe you should take some of your tax dollars and also the money from all of the fines that are being taken in, and post a few more speed limit signs and also some "Reduced Speed Ahead" signs. These are usually put on an interstate whenever the posted speed is reduced and also in construction zones. As I had mentioned, 5 of us in the vehicle never saw either. We were not intentionally speeding. Call it irresponsible, but I don't believe that all the other vehicles that were flying by us were all irresponsible tourists. I would guess that a lot of them were your honest, law-abiding citizens that live in Vegas.

It really sounds like you don't like the tourists visiting your town. I'll pass it on to anyone I know that is considering going out there and let them know that they are not welcome. Maybe if enough people pass the word around, you won't have to worry about all the troublesome drivers on the road.

Sorry if any of this offended anyone. It was not my intent. But you really should do something about getting some signs posted and maybe you wouldn't have such a problem...
Thank you...

Old 12-27-2011, 03:54 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,422,076 times
Talking my first traffic violation

Ok. I just called Kenny's law firm for my first traffic citation-- "unsafe lane change".
Kenny now charges $50 fee, he can reduce the ticket to parking violation, no point on record, no traffic school, but the fine stays the same (range from $140 to $250 depeding on the judge). Does anyone know if this is a good deal? or would I get a better deal if I go to court myself? how much time is needed to go through the court session?

one more time--

Last edited by Scott456; 12-27-2011 at 04:19 PM..

Old 12-27-2011, 06:38 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,797,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
Ok. I just called Kenny's law firm for my first traffic citation-- "unsafe lane change".
Kenny now charges $50 fee, he can reduce the ticket to parking violation, no point on record, no traffic school, but the fine stays the same (range from $140 to $250 depeding on the judge). Does anyone know if this is a good deal? or would I get a better deal if I go to court myself? how much time is needed to go through the court session?

one more time--

You would get the same deal if you went to court yourself. The 50 bucks is paying him to have a clerk of his go to court on your behalf. You won't get a better deal though. Is it worth 50 bucks to have someone else go to court for you? That's the question.

When they lower the charge to a parking ticket they always keep the fine the same. I think it's a good deal. I've gone to court before and had them tell me to come back so I then had to go a second time. Up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas