Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:43 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times

Advertisements

Summerlin has expanded and now goes further north. It won't be all built out for several years yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 05:26 PM

709 posts, read 2,180,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Wow, they sure like their golf clubs!
Summerlin is basically a retirement community. Now some of you Summerlinites rip me a new one.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 PM

72 posts, read 353,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_el View Post
i'd argue that there isn't an exact perimeter of summerlin, as it isn't some exact shape.

the north end is around cheyenne avenue
the south end is between tropicana and russel road
summerlin parkway is west off of the 95, and kinda sorta runs east west through summerlin
hualapai way and town center road run north south and, kinda sorta through the middle of summerlin

here's my google map, the blue area on the left is pretty much summerlin:

direct link to pic (which will be larger) : summerlinmap.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Close but the east edge is off. Summerlin stops at Vegas drive for instance. Canyon Gate is not in Summerlin nor is Boca Park or Queensridge.

Need to rework the easter edge.

There are some good Summerlin maps on the Summerlin site.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:44 PM

119 posts, read 379,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You will earn more in San Francisco but home prices will be more then triple that of Vegas.
Places like San francisco an uneducated broom sweeper can earn $60K but he cant afford to rent a one bedroom apartment with that money.
Everything is proportional i guest ,60k for a street sweeper Desertsun....(crap i'll take that job and save my money buy living in tent and showering at YMCA,WHERE DO I APPLY)but the cost of living and the price of homes are insanely high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I agree. That stood out like a sore thumb. Maybe he didn't like the freaks. But San Fran is going to be way more expensive. Don't know about Seattle but lots of people can't stand all the rain and gloom. As was said, Las Vegas is likely to be the more affordable without all the BS you put up with in the other two places. If there is a water shortage in Las Vegas I've never noticed it and I've been wasting Lake Mead water for 44 years.
Now,now buzzy let's not be nasty.
How can someone who live in Las Vegas call the people of S.F. freaks!
When he was there last May the situation was critical apparently,he liked the Bay area but he was concern by the water situation in the area.I also remember hearing on ABC around the time that he was there that they had a SEVERE water problem and they where looking to built a desalination plant as a quick solution...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I think the best area for IT is Santa Clara Valley, or San Jose metro area. The home prices are high, but a little cheaper tha SF. The only problem is heavy commute traffic going to work and back. They have a drought in Northern California that is pretty bad, they depend on the sierra snow pack for most of the water they get. The Bay Area alone has about 9 million people in the 9 bay area counties. Las Vegas might be in a drought also, but it only has to worry about 2 million people.
Thanks for your help AA,
Buzzy seem to think that there is no water problem in that area...
but like yourself I heard the same thing concerning the water situation in No-Cal.Locally(Montreal)the media was sarcastically pointing out that the reward we get for putting up with anywhere between 155 to 200 inch. of snow and sub-zero winter temp. for 6 mths is that we have more water (polluted)than we know what to do with it....and that Canada will soon be the Saudi Arabia of drinkable water.

Thank you to Uncle EL and LV lover,you where very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandalR View Post
I'm sorry, but that makes no sense.

So what's the real reason he didn't pick San Francisco?
Is that's all you can bring as a answer to a simple question....?

Old 07-24-2008, 04:03 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
You will find later on, that i was helpful, after you find out how much you get paid out here for IT related work.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:35 AM

278 posts, read 791,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlover View Post
Close but the east edge is off. Summerlin stops at Vegas drive for instance. Canyon Gate is not in Summerlin nor is Boca Park or Queensridge.

Need to rework the easter edge.

There are some good Summerlin maps on the Summerlin site.
ah, that's what i get for putting up my work in progress.

the eastern edge was a bit confusing/misleading, as i do have the queensridge area circumscribed in red. thanks for the tip, as i do need to redo some of the map.

and as you pointed out, i just should have used this as a template:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...merlinsite.jpg

Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 AM

72 posts, read 353,682 times
Note that the Summerlin map has problems as well. Summerlin does extend to the corner of Cheyenne and Durango. But that is not the same Durango as parallels Buffalo to the south. The border is actually Rampart which is to the west of Durango south of Summerlin Pkwy. They may be using section lines rather than roads so you need to overlay on a real map to see if it makes sense.

An interesting note. They appear to claim both sides of Lake Mead west of Buffalo. Could be true as they have a monument on the NW corner of Buffalo and Lake Mead announcing Summerlin. So do they own and maintain the sides of Lake Mead through Desert Shores? It is hard to find out. The land is not taxed and has no entree in the assessors data base.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:25 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Little boxes...in the valley,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky
Little boxes in the valley,
Little boxes all the same.
There's a tan one...and a tan one
And a tan one with terra cotta,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses
All went to the university,
Where they were put in boxes
And they came out all the same,
And there's doctors and lawyers,
And business executives,

And they all play on the golf course
And drink their martinis dry,
And they all have pretty children
And the children go to school,
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university,
Where they are put in boxes
And they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business
And marry and raise a family
In boxes made of ticky tacky
There's a tan one and a tan one
And a tan one with terra cotta,

Old 07-27-2008, 09:40 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
JFKIII, what have you been drinking, and where can I get a case of it?

I'm surprised that Summerlin isn't in the shape of a dollar sign. Mind you, that could apply to Green Valley as well.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:59 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
I think it's more what is he Smoking. Watching too much Weeds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas