Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 01:15 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,303 times

Advertisements

So now that the Economy is slower than usual and housing development is slowing down threw out most of the country, how is the housing situation in vegas?..i'm from albuquerque and the building of homes has slowed down however, they are still building and selling many (we still rank 5th in the nation for fastest growing). I have heard many rumors that vegas just stop building and has left houses to sit..is this true?

Last edited by bradly; 07-23-2008 at 01:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
There really is not any building of residential single family detached or attached (condos). None. All the tracks that were incomplete have been cleaned up and left to wait out this deep recession. The construction trailors are all long gone the model homes have closed up and are only open to appointments only. A builder will only start building with a non refundable deposit that clears the bank.

Im right on top of what these builders are doing. I work with almost all of them on a daily basis. (Huh thats a joke, I dont even hear from them anymore because they have nothing to do) I honestly do not feel they are offering as much as the media says they are. If and that is a big if, they have any standing inventory then yes indeed you can spark a bargain. They want that thing sold but they wont give it away. You will have to work on them and demand they throw in that fridge or W&D or any number of options they might offer normally at a huge price increase.

I think Realtors will agree with me here, go buy a resale. Hell there are even new homes that are 6 months old on the market. There are new homes never lived in that builders have foreclosed on. Hell with those new tracts. If your buying then help support the economy by buying a resale.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:21 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
There really is not any building of residential single family detached or attached (condos). None. All the tracks that were incomplete have been cleaned up and left to wait out this deep recession. The construction trailors are all long gone the model homes have closed up and are only open to appointments only. A builder will only start building with a non refundable deposit that clears the bank.

Im right on top of what these builders are doing. I work with almost all of them on a daily basis. (Huh thats a joke, I dont even hear from them anymore because they have nothing to do) I honestly do not feel they are offering as much as the media says they are. If and that is a big if, they have any standing inventory then yes indeed you can spark a bargain. They want that thing sold but they wont give it away. You will have to work on them and demand they throw in that fridge or W&D or any number of options they might offer normally at a huge price increase.

I think Realtors will agree with me here, go buy a resale. Hell there are even new homes that are 6 months old on the market. There are new homes never lived in that builders have foreclosed on. Hell with those new tracts. If your buying then help support the economy by buying a resale.
Doncha just hate when I have to agree with ya DS......

I personally don't think of it as a problem that the new home sales slowed to a stop [of course I am not in new home construction] BUT it will recover, as it always has....

I remember [back in the olde days] 1964 when you could buy a home on the Stardust Gold Course [whatever they call it now] on DI between Maryland and Eastern....for $1 down and all you had to do to qualify was be 21 yrs of age. AND for another $1 they would throw in all of the furniture.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Doncha just hate when I have to agree with ya DS......

I personally don't think of it as a problem that the new home sales slowed to a stop [of course I am not in new home construction] BUT it will recover, as it always has....

I remember [back in the olde days] 1964 when you could buy a home on the Stardust Gold Course [whatever they call it now] on DI between Maryland and Eastern....for $1 down and all you had to do to qualify was be 21 yrs of age. AND for another $1 they would throw in all of the furniture.

Well aint that swell. See that? I aint so bad am I. We agreed once before, remember? Everyone having different views makes us all what we are. We would be pretty boring if we were all exactly the same.

I try to stay a tad in the middle when I post something in this city forum so I dont make anyone mad. Those who have sent me hate mail know what they get back so they only do it once. I have to stay away from some subjects to not offend anyone. When talking about housing and building and I am on top so I spurt out pure facts and truth. It's what I know best and enjoy discussing it.

Anywho have a good day and thanks for the compliment...........

Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times
I talked to a fella from TX yesterday....he said his Sister lives here and is a REALTOR.....she has had one closing this year.....so they need all the business then can get.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:19 PM

278 posts, read 791,323 times
Quote:
las vegas national golf course.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I talked to a fella from TX yesterday....he said his Sister lives here and is a REALTOR.....she has had one closing this year.....so they need all the business then can get.
I believe it. I have a buddy who is a Kitchen Designer like myself and he works for Home Depot in Phoenix. Last I talked to him about a month ago he said he has not sold a kitchen all year. They get a small salary plus commissions. He would be sunk without the salary.

Residential building is booming in most of Texas. Almost like it was here not very long ago. I was offered a job in New Orleans too but dont want to live in my RV for that long of time. Plus who wants to work for some schlep at the expense of your own time and pride. I been on my own for almost 30 years now. I would not know how to be an employee. Especially of FEMA of all bureaucracies.

I will say it again. What has happened to our economy is sad. It just sucks. So many people are hurting and/or are in trouble with their mortgage. So many jobs lost. So many businesses who been around forever have closed up shop. It's just sad ! And I just dont see the spark from those new resorts helping much. Others feel differently. I hope your all right and Im wrong on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas