U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:27 AM

91 posts, read 263,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhale View Post
I went to Walmart (Charleston/Decatur) over the weekend to compare prices and ended up paying about the same as I do at Smith's. Meat was definitely more per pound there, but it might have just been a great sale week at Smith's when I saw their prices. Their produce was on par, maybe a few more soft and brown spots than I cared for, but tasty nonetheless. Spices were a little more, surprisingly, as was tuna fish.

I'll stick to Smith's for groceries. Walmart's minimalist register staff pisses me off every time I go there as I've never had a quick in and out experience there, ever.
I've gotten in and out of the same WM at times. Usually during the afternoon I believe.

But my most common experience there would be the same as yours. The lines do suck big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 03:42 AM

2,404 posts, read 7,494,726 times
same problem with the food 4 less at lvbs/windmill, they just completed a remodeling there (why did it need a remodel?) and now they have no checkers as the result, whenever you go, there is only one checkstand and the line is literally to the back of the store...

Old 07-30-2008, 04:33 AM

8,819 posts, read 15,315,590 times
They want you all to go to the self-checkout lines.

Speaking of that, i wanted to do the self-checkout at walfart and it only lets you if you have 15 items or less. they need to get with the times and let us check ourselves out even if we have 100 items.
Fresh and Easy lets me do it myself all the time, the other stores need to as well.

Last edited by PinkString; 07-30-2008 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: ..

Old 07-30-2008, 05:21 AM

2,404 posts, read 7,494,726 times
food4less doesn't have self-checkout, even though now i'm kinda surprised they don't, then they don't have to pay that one cashier...

Old 07-30-2008, 09:03 AM

8,696 posts, read 7,071,930 times
I try to stay away from the self-checkouts to save a cashier job, but yesterday at Meijer was a joke. The cashier was about 90 and terribly SLOW! I mean basically the computer does it all for them, what's the prob? Anyway, I was almost sorry I didn't do self-checkout. My kid LOVES the self-checkout and was ticked I didn't go there.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 AM

349 posts, read 671,810 times
Redwale did you go to the big WalMart or the WalMart grochery store? I have found the staff at the grochery store to be on part with the Smiths staff. What is now pissing me off about smiths is the self checkouts and the fact they no longer have an Under 12 (or 15) item line. They expect you to use the Self Checkout. I'm with kimba01 and want to save a cashiers job (and am lazy )

If you are liking Smiths, it's parent company is Kroger which also owns Food4Less, you might want to run in there. I have found Food4Less to have produce on par with Smiths and much better than WalMart.

Where I find I save the most at WalMart is name brand products, consistantly. Like Name-Brand Hamburger Helper is $1.25 at the WalMart grochery. Sure the Kroger HH is $1.25 (sometimes $1 when it is on special for the week) and HH is $2, sometimes $1 on sale, but consistantly it is cheaper at the WalMart grochery. Sub the above example with name-brand soda/pop, cheese, olives, popcorn, chips.

That is why it is key to pay attention to the weekly mailers with the specials (or just check online). I am odd and will shop at Smiths, Albertsons, Vons, Whole Foods, and Fresh and Easy and only buy what is on special and then go to Food4Less or WalMart Grochery and get whatever is left. It is what the wife and I do on Saturdays mornings and we enjoy it. I realize everyone doesn't want to spend that much time grochery shopping so even if you limited it to Smiths and Food4Less/WalMart grochery you would be saving (IMO 25%) from just shopping at one place.

And yes, the meat specials are ALWAYS better at Smiths/Vons/Albertsons when they are on special. WalMart never puts their meats/produce on sale (other than seasonal adjustments in price for the produce). This is when it is (again) key to look at the mailers. If you are having a party and want to do Rib-Eyes it is always better to pick them up at the store they are on sale, esp. when buying in bulk.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:21 PM

207 posts, read 653,598 times
Quote:
Redwale did you go to the big WalMart or the WalMart grochery store?
It was a SuperWalmart. Never tried the grocery walmart because it's further away and not worth the drive IMHO. I look at the mailers, too, and stock up on products with longevity like pasta sauce, soups, soda, dried everything, boxed items, etc. Then I only have to buy meat and produce once a week based on who has the best deals. I am cheap and this model has worked out quite for me.

Oh and about the self checkout thing, I think you're trying to save one cashier's job at the expense of a new technical service job, the jobs of those who manufacture these devices, and the jobs of those that install them. Progress might seem bad sometimes, but new technologies drive industry, sometimes at the expense of 1 job to create 10 more.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:10 PM

1,354 posts, read 2,867,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhale View Post
Oh and about the self checkout thing, I think you're trying to save one cashier's job at the expense of a new technical service job, the jobs of those who manufacture these devices, and the jobs of those that install them. Progress might seem bad sometimes, but new technologies drive industry, sometimes at the expense of 1 job to create 10 more.
You know that is a really good point! I never did think about that.

I don't mind for a few things. But when you have alcohol, you have to sit and wait for someone to press the right button. Also I have a 3 year old that likes to try to sit on the baggage area, and throws the machine into a frenzy, thinking I put something in there that I did not scan.

I also love Smiths, and noticed the other morning that they did not have any lanes open, except the u-scan. I had a lot of stuff, and really not a lot of room for me to put everything. I think they should still have one regular lane open. I like to go early in the mornings, before the hubby and daughter are up. That way I can relax a little.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 PM

8,819 posts, read 15,315,590 times
I wouldn't mind saving a checkers job if they had more checkers to go around. These days, just about every single store I go to besides Fresh and Easy that is... there are never any checkers or maybe 1 or 2 open with a freight train long line of people in them.
Then it takes over a half hour or more to finally put the stuff on the conveyor belt...
That's why I think they need to offer self-checkout lanes at the regular grocery stores for more than just the 15 item or less crowd.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:08 AM

3,731 posts, read 5,884,103 times
Albertsons is a store I have stopped going to, same with Vons. The prices are just outrageous

I go to Wal-Mart (Supercenters) for box items and dairy supplies. Never for meat or produce. Even with the "upgrade" in the meat quality, I still don't care for it. I find the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Marts also mark up their prices from the regular Supercenters...

I usually go to Smith's, Costco, SunFlower Market, Fresh and Easy and Whole Foods along with the WM Supercenters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas