U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 16,936 times
Default Cheapest grocery store

What's the cheapest one for basic stuff (fruits, veggies, pasta, etc.) in Las Vegas?

Vons
Albertson's
Smith's

Am I missing any other major ones?

Obviously Costco is cheap if you have a membership ... and I guess Super Wal-Mart can be thrown in that mix too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 03:26 PM

818 posts, read 2,597,646 times
Food 4 Less is probably the cheapest. They are owned by Smith's, so they carry much of the same stuff.

For produce and meat, either Sunflower or the Latin markets (King Ranch, Mariana's, Los Compadres) can't be beat.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 PM

625 posts, read 1,214,077 times
I would say Walmart

Old 07-26-2008, 06:04 PM

207 posts, read 641,895 times
Smith's has been very good to me, but I would pay attention to the weekly circulars for deals. Von's has consistently had the best meat and deals on meat. Smith's seems to have better deals on the name brand stuff and even better deals on Kroger brand items.

99 Ranch also has good deals, you just have to know what you're looking at/for.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:10 PM

9,487 posts, read 14,546,961 times
sorry but in my opinion, von's meat doesnt compare to costco's and is more expensive.... i buy the meat at costco, everything else at super walmart..... actually at von's today (i wanted a watermelon....1/2 watermelon at vons was 8.50, whole was 7.99 (with their stupid card).. whole watermelon at walmart $5.48,,, being new to vegas, i wont waste my time at vons

Old 07-27-2008, 12:11 AM

8,789 posts, read 14,909,246 times
The store I buy most of my fruits, veggies and pasta at is Fresh and Easy. Plus they are always throwing those $5 off coupons at me.
Fresh and easy also has a big long aisle full of meat. I have no idea if it's a good price because i never buy it. I'm more a tofu type, at 89cents a container.

For the other stores like Vons, Albertsons, Smiths, get their store card. They send you special deals via email to add to your card, or through the mail. Smiths will give you cash back, money off of gas and freebie coupons once in awhile.
Vons will give you $10 off $50 deals..plus discounts with your store card that others don't get. More personalized.
Albertsons does the $5 off of $40 deals. The only thing i don't like about that store is when they give the coupon deals off, the stuff i buy is never a good price. So i tend to go where I will save the most.

Walmart neighborhood stores are quite inexpensive. Better prices than the super walmarts for some reason. Although their produce can be more expensive for many items.

Sunflower market is a great store! Great prices on produce and organic stuff too. Too bad both stores are so far away from me. Go to their website and sign up for weekly store specials, and you can also print out coupons from their site to use in the store.

Costco has some good prices on produce, but most of it is in bulk of course. However, i can buy a great big Honeydew melon for $3..also have gotten Watermelons there for around $5 or less.
A great big box of Pluots for $8. The best tasting. (get the firm ones, not the soft ones.)

Old 07-27-2008, 12:33 AM

what is a pluot?

Old 07-27-2008, 12:45 AM

91 posts, read 258,868 times
Wallmart is the cheapest but their produce and meats are horrible.

I like Vons, Smiths and Trader Joes. Costco is also good. I used to be a member.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:46 AM

8,789 posts, read 14,909,246 times
A pluot is a cross between a plum and an apricot. They are so darn good! Very sweet and juicy. Light brownish on the outside, deep red on the inside. They are really expensive in regular grocery stores, so I always wait for Costco to offer them, so i get a better price, and big juicy ones too.

Last edited by PinkString; 07-27-2008 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: dyn made me do it

Old 07-27-2008, 12:47 AM

when are they usually available? do they taste like a plum or kind of bland like an apricot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas