Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:58 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

Ok let me be dead middle without an opinion. Once again some one posts an article and everyone tears into the poster, not the author of article.

One could choose to trust or not trust Olecaps article as well as trust or not trust Sheriffs.

Geez.

So if it's positive it's believable and negative its not believable?

One thing I for sure. As the article mentions, cop presense is up. That should deter crime. Maybe it has. Unfortunatly it's in all the wrong areas. Geez a dozen years ago you can go weeks without seeing a cop unless you were on the strip. Now they are hiding on every other corner shooting radiation at us if not bullets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ok let me be dead middle without an opinion. Once again some one posts an article and everyone tears into the poster, not the author of article.

One could choose to trust or not trust Olecaps article as well as trust or not trust Sheriffs.

Geez.

So if it's positive it's believable and negative its not believable?

One thing I for sure. As the article mentions, cop presense is up. That should deter crime. Maybe it has. Unfortunatly it's in all the wrong areas. Geez a dozen years ago you can go weeks without seeing a cop unless you were on the strip. Now they are hiding on every other corner shooting radiation at us if not bullets.
There is no fact disagreement. As far as I can determine what Sheriff publishes is generally true.

Sheriff does not however understand what they mean and therefore draws incorrect conclusions.

It is true for instance that virtually every major city in the US has a crime rate above the average. It is the nature of cities. That Las Vegas has such a crime rate merely indicates that it is, in fact, a big city and has a big city crime rate. Small rural and suburban burgs have low crime rates. Bedroom communities often are very good...as is Henderson for example.

Does Henderson have a lower crime rate than Summerlin? Probably not. But the Summerlin crime rate is summed into Las Vegas Metro and does not stand by itself.

As I have said many times the Las Vegas crime rate is good enough it is not a problem but bad enough that you can't brag about it.

Henderson's is good enough to brag. But it is still no better than Summerlin.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:03 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,415,418 times
got nothing to do w/ believable or not. i went to the site...looked at the info and saw it was not as it was presented to us.

if i had gone there and it was, i would have said something juvenile like 'yikes' or 'OMG' or words to that effect. and for the record, i do trust his article...just not the way the info was spun to be overtly negative.

but do i think i disagree w/ you on the police presence. i see a lot of them downtown...part of the reason i don't worry about the area (not my neighborhood per se, but the area i walk to and from the downtown bars) is i know there is a police presence.

out of curiosity, what areas would you like to see a bigger presence in?

Old 07-31-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
got nothing to do w/ believable or not. i went to the site...looked at the info and saw it was not as it was presented to us.

if i had gone there and it was, i would have said something juvenile like 'yikes' or 'OMG' or words to that effect. and for the record, i do trust his article...just not the way the info was spun to be overtly negative.

but do i think i disagree w/ you on the police presence. i see a lot of them downtown...part of the reason i don't worry about the area (not my neighborhood per se, but the area i walk to and from the downtown bars) is i know there is a police presence.

out of curiosity, what areas would you like to see a bigger presence in?
No no you misunderstood. I said I do notice a huge increase in the cops presence in recent years compared to a dozen years ago. I only go downtown during day hours but I do see plenty. I feel safe downtown in the old areas. I think those bike coppers chase away the young gang looking thugs as well as whatever other undesirables that like to call the downtown streets their home.

I dont like cops so I wish to never see them. But truthfully my problem is their flat out refusal to take on the red light runners. They are way to mezmerized with speeders which are not the cause of the majority of accidents. Red light runners are. Speeders pay higher fines so they chase the money.

My store is at Eastern and Sunset. I watch for hours and sometimes 5 cars or more will run a standing red light. In 4 years I have never ever seen a cop watching that intersection and I am there 4 days a week. This is just one example, we all know how bad the red light runners are here. If I had a dollar for every accident directly related to a red light runner I witnessed at that intersection........ wow. Just wow.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:01 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Red light running is a big problem in a lot of cities. A lot of them have put those cameras up and they also make the fines very heavy for offenders. I agree that this is the largest single cause for injury or death in automotive accidents. I think they should put them up all over the place, but it seems to get resistance in this city.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Is red light running that bad? I would think after watching a long time that left turns are the poison.

But I could be wrong. Anyone have a source as to what causes the most problems?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Red light running is a big problem in a lot of cities. A lot of them have put those cameras up and they also make the fines very heavy for offenders. I agree that this is the largest single cause for injury or death in automotive accidents. I think they should put them up all over the place, but it seems to get resistance in this city.
Ha...those damn camaras. If we follow the Constitution which we no longer do (especially under the Dictator "The Decider" bushy) we would never have those camaras. I dont believe in those camaras but certianly acknowledge the huge problem of red light running and the innocent lives it is taking. This puts me thinking that our safety might supersede the rights of the red light runners.

I truely believe that if this lousy city would [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]synchronize the red lights (I call them red lights because they are never green) then the degree of frustration drivers experience would diminish. If you see a yellow coming you think in a split second that if you stop for that red then you might as well put it in park and hook up the sewer and water and take a nap because you will be there for the count. Simply put...driver frustration of long untimed lights is is a big reason for the red light runners.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Nevada's biggest White Elephant of all is the NDOT and the good ol boys network. When is that Bob McKenzie going to retire already? They have always claimed they have no money to synchronize the lights in our city yet they amazingly found $14 million to put those stupid blinking lights on all the on-ramps which create huge backups on the feeder ramps. Which by the way, many have since been turned off and covered with a canvas. (wasted tax dollars)

To add more insult to their claim, with the start of the I-15 construction the DOT listed several alternate routes to take. Within 48 hours they retimed all the lights on those recomended alternate routes to move traffic faster. This blows my mind to
[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]smithereens. This should be an insult to every Nevadan. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old 07-31-2008, 09:21 PM

Why did those size in red letters pop up? Thats weird.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:25 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Is red light running that bad? I would think after watching a long time that left turns are the poison.

But I could be wrong. Anyone have a source as to what causes the most problems?
I personally see a lot of red light running, and we are talking about 2-3 seconds after its red! I know it is a big problem in San Fran when I lived there, that is why they started to install the cameras because of all the accidents. I don't know for a fact that IS the problem here, but I can make an assumption it is true.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 PM

207 posts, read 734,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Keep the spy cameras in California. I don't run red lights and I don't like cameras all over the place watching me like some kind of bad episode of Big Brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: