Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 03:40 AM

97 posts, read 304,559 times

Advertisements

how is it getting health insurance in las vegas. in california, if you have a preexisting health condition, you can easily be rejected. how is it in nevada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:00 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,527,050 times
Getting health insurance is identical anywhere. If you have pre-existing conditiions you are uninsurable in most cases.

I am a cancer surviver. 7 years clean now. I tried and tried to buy health insurance but I am uninsurable at any price. Once some years back I cut my business to part time and freelanced work for a simular company here so I can get on their company insurance and then soon leave and remain on COBRA as long as I can. It worked but one day the monthly bill tripled with no explaination so I dropped it.

They say women marry men for their money. So why cant men marry women for their health insurance? I did. But we were already together for a long time. But many many couples marry as a business arrangement so one can get the health insurance. Sometimes there is a one time fat fee paid to one. Some times the uninsured will just pay the insured spouse that monthly bill. All kinds of arrangements out there. But in many of those cases the couple have nothing to do with one another but for the business arrangement of paying that monthly premium and other compensation.

It's disgusting we have to resort to this in the United States of America. It's despicable and embarrassing this has to go on in the USA. 3rd and 4th world hell hole countries have it better then this.

Anyway.......

By federal law, no employer can reject a potential employee or a current employee due to a pre-existing medical condition. In addition, no employer can reject a spouse for any pre-existing medical condition. So in my case the cancer history had no effect at all on me getting on her company health insurance plan.

Now the actual state of the health care...........that's another issue.

I wish ya luck.....it's a hard road.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:06 AM

15,370 posts, read 38,992,731 times
another one of those rare occassions where DS41 and I come VERY close to agreeing.

Insurance SUX in this country

Health care FREQUENTLY sux...[one can only HOPE and PRAY that former Dr Desai gets as well as he gave] But I seem to be lucky....found a couple of great GP's and a GREAT Cardio Dr.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
another one of those rare occassions where DS41 and I come VERY close to agreeing.

Insurance SUX in this country

Health care FREQUENTLY sux...[one can only HOPE and PRAY that former Dr Desai gets as well as he gave] But I seem to be lucky....found a couple of great GP's and a GREAT Cardio Dr.
Oh yes indeed !!! But you call him Doctor? A Doctor would not do what he did. Lets just call him Dirty Needle Desai to be polite. I also hope he gets what he gave just like you said.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:47 AM

I have a funny story on health care in America. It pretty much picks on Blue Cross but does apply to all health insurance companies.

The Blue Cross Test
Mr. Smith goes to the doctor's office to get his wife's test results.
The lab technician says to him, "I'm very sorry sir, but we've had a bit of a problem. At the same time we sent your wife's samples to the lab, the lab also received samples from another Mrs. Smith, and now we're not sure which results are your wife's. But frankly, it's either bad news or terrible news!"
"What do you mean?" said Mr. Smith.
"Well....one Mrs. Smith tested positive for Alzheimer's, and the other Mrs. Smith has tested positive for AIDS. And we can't tell which is your wife's test."
"This is terrible!" cries Mr. Smith. "Can't we do the test over?"
"Normally, yes," says the technician, "but you have Blue Cross Health Care, and they won't pay for these expensive tests more than once."
"Well, what am I supposed to do now?" said Mr. Smith. "Blue Cross recommends that you drop your wife off in the middle of town. If she finds her way home, don't sleep with her."

Old 08-02-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Oh yes indeed !!! But you call him Doctor? A Doctor would not do what he did. Lets just call him Dirty Needle Desai to be polite. I also hope he gets what he gave just like you said.
since he once held the title....maybe "Defrocked Dr."? does that work

Old 08-02-2008, 11:58 AM

The Blue Cross Test was hysterical

Old 08-02-2008, 12:12 PM

hmmmm I tried to rep you but it says I gotta spread it around

Old 08-02-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
hmmmm I tried to rep you but it says I gotta spread it around
Well that only means you have already done so recently. Oops.

Dont discount us Jersey boys so quickly. Get mad once but dont hold it against anyone. 40 something years ago for you but your still a Jersey boy too.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:22 PM

Jersey kinda rubbed off on me.....I was there for 8 yrs, [in n out, off n on] I left for good when I started sayin things like "Down the shoah"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas