U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 15,878 times

Advertisements

I just moved here to Las Vegas and I need to know a lot of things. How much would it cost to own a boat down here? I would fish it at Lake Mead and buy yearly passes for my car and boat. How much is registration? And all that required stuff. I need to know where the closest boat launch is, and how far Lake Mead is from Spring Mt. Road. I just need all the details about actually owning a boat in Vegas. I would store it in my backyard. Is there a closer place to Las Vegas to use a boat to go Large or Smallmouth bass fishing than LAke Mead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:48 PM

15,371 posts, read 34,552,397 times
I have owned 3 boats here......it ALL went like this:
Used it EVERY day for a week, EVERY week for a month, EVERY month for a year and once a year after that.....

The 2nd happiest day of my life was when I bought my first boat....the HAPPIEST day of my life was when I sold the last one

Old 08-08-2008, 02:13 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,512,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I have owned 3 boats here......it ALL went like this:
Used it EVERY day for a week, EVERY week for a month, EVERY month for a year and once a year after that.....

The 2nd happiest day of my life was when I bought my first boat....the HAPPIEST day of my life was when I sold the last one
You forgot the other one:

A boat is a hole in the water to which you pour money.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:21 PM

15,371 posts, read 34,552,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You forgot the other one:

A boat is a hole in the water to which you pour money.
I did forget to mention that......but every boat owner already knows that lol.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:31 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,512,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_chan1993 View Post
I just moved here to Las Vegas and I need to know a lot of things. How much would it cost to own a boat down here? I would fish it at Lake Mead and buy yearly passes for my car and boat. How much is registration? And all that required stuff. I need to know where the closest boat launch is, and how far Lake Mead is from Spring Mt. Road. I just need all the details about actually owning a boat in Vegas. I would store it in my backyard. Is there a closer place to Las Vegas to use a boat to go Large or Smallmouth bass fishing than LAke Mead?
Ok you are talking to a die hard boater here. I mean obsessed boater. First off make sure where ever you are buying has no Communist HOAs who do not allow you to have a boat at YOUR home. If that all checks out good then your fine. Most everyone in the Vegas area launches near Boulder Beach....is it Lake Mead Marina? Or Las Vegas Boat works? Either/or is fine. Both are now at the end next to the Lake Mead Cruise ship as they keep on moving due to the falling water.

The next popular launch is up in Overton but that is getting pretty low water up there. In fact last I heard a developer bought the entire resort up there and might be closing it. Govt Wash was popular but is all dry now.

It used to be so that there was a 3 year waiting list to get a boat slip but since the price of gas has risen many have sold their boats or took it out of the water. I wonder if the slip prices came down too. There used to be a nice storage place just outside the park toll booth where people could store their boats for $25 a month and just pick them up and drop them off there. I was just there this morning on an estimate and notice that they too are a victim of this deep recession. They are closed forever.

I never registered my boat in Nevada so I dont know the reg fees but if its anything like our auto fees you better have a nice fat wallet. You really have to properly register it too because the Lake Mead Marine Patrol sit at the dock and check for your papers as well as PFDs and other safety eqpt. They are not nice people so do not be drinking or they will take your boat and haul you to jail.

Your only cost to launch is the park entrance fee which is $5 for 3 days. You can buy an annual pass for $20 which is the worlds biggest bargain. Seniors are $10 annual I think. The annual pass gives you unlimited park access for a full year plus you dont have to wait in line at the toll booth. You just pass through your own dedicated booth.

Some of the old timers to this area know some secrets to massive Stripped Bass but it just isnt the same as in the hey-day. Largemouth are not abundant in Lake Mead and I never heard of a Smallmouth coming out of there. Carp is plenyful but useless.

I was a writer for a sports magazine back east back in the mid 80s. My assignment was fishing tournaments. Boy do I miss it.

Hope that helps..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas