U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:17 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,299,427 times
If anyone is stating how wonderful the economy is, it's Ben Stein. I just saw him on Glenn Beck and he stated that the economy is still "not" in a recession and that Bush has done a good job managing the economy. Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:07 PM

278 posts, read 478,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
If anyone is stating how wonderful the economy is, it's Ben Stein. I just saw him on Glenn Beck and he stated that the economy is still "not" in a recession and that Bush has done a good job managing the economy. Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.....LOL
to be fair, ben stein is using the economic term/definition recession (gross domestic product or gdp with negative growth for at least 2 consecutive quarters... some sources actually say 3 consecutive quarters). currently, our gdp continues to grow (http://www.bea.gov/national/xls/gdpchg.xls) and thus we're not, by definition, in a recession.

but, consumer confidence is down. way down.

so, from an economist's point of view, we're not in a recession. from an everyday consumer point of view, things suck.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:08 AM

1,643 posts, read 1,486,178 times
While our GDP may not necessarily meet the definition of a recession, I think many sectors of the economy will beg to differ. Overall no, but sector wise I would think there is data out there that continue to decrease. Housing, housing, bueller??

Great thread to read though. What I find interesting is that many folks seems to equate thier personal situation to mean the norm.

If the unemployment rate is 7% (historically high) and the poster does not have a job and actively looking, to them things are terrible!!! However, 93 out of a 100 still are working and to them, things probably don't seem as bad.

PS: I too am sorry to hear about the A/C!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 06:03 AM

565 posts, read 976,119 times
I read some of the posts by people on this forum, and all I can think of is...

Frogs in a pot !!!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:57 AM

2,547 posts, read 3,863,734 times
Would that be ribbit stew?

Remember everyone, HM is a world class troll. He gets his jollies from seeing us argue like this. Times are very tough, but Vegas isn't dead. To quote Rufus (Chris Rock) from the movie Dogma, "Only two things worry the dead. Decay and Necrophilia."

Old 08-15-2008, 11:55 AM

14 posts, read 29,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Come on guys. The homeless guy might not be a likeable kinda guy but he is dead on accurate about much of what he says. Dont slam me. Dont use that old "back up your words with evidence" crap. Anyone who thinks the LV economy is anything better then the worse in the nation right now really dont live here and has no idea. But since you do live here then you are just being defensive so get pizzed off when some one tells the truth.

I sat home 5 straight weeks with no work. Just the past 2 weeks has picked up a whole lot and all of a sudden I am booked for several weeks ahead. I have no explanation but I do know one thing. Housing is still in the dumps. Home sales picked up a percentage point or 2. Big deal. The extra sales are all investors looking for bargains. Some bargain. The house they buy for $200K sold for $350K 3 years ago. By next year their $200K purchase will be worth $150. Then they too will walk away adding to the leading foreclosure capital of the universe.

No one likes when some one bad mouths the place they live and love. But when you come on here saying there are no problems then you are also insulting people like me who is stuck in a damn worthless home that no one wants to buy or rent. And those who know me and what I do can only imagine how spectacular my home is compared to all the rest. It doesnt matter. I'm just another number in the MLS. 23,000 homes for sale, 3 buyers and 5 investors to divide among to 50,000 Realtors.

And I come home today to see my air conditioner blew up. Its 89 degrees and rising quickly inside. AC guy cant come till tomorrow. Its going to be a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng night.

At least you know the facts. Everyone else here is in somewhat of a major denial of everything. By next year LAS VEGAS HOMES WILL LOSE UP TO 75% OF THEIR VALUE. GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN. BUT EVERYBODY CANNOT SINCE NOBODY WANTS THEIR HOMES. THE SAYING IS TRUE, IT IS VEGAS BABY!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:57 AM

15,387 posts, read 21,499,966 times
Homeless ol buddy....you ain't worth listenin too...........

Old 08-15-2008, 12:24 PM

3,731 posts, read 5,474,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMELESSMAN View Post
At least you know the facts. Everyone else here is in somewhat of a major denial of everything. By next year LAS VEGAS HOMES WILL LOSE UP TO 75% OF THEIR VALUE. GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN. BUT EVERYBODY CANNOT SINCE NOBODY WANTS THEIR HOMES. THE SAYING IS TRUE, IT IS VEGAS BABY!!!

It certainly is homlessguy, it certainly is. Isn't that why you're here?

Old 08-15-2008, 12:40 PM

2,411 posts, read 5,110,037 times
Quote:
At least they have a home. Get it

Old 08-15-2008, 12:49 PM

2,013 posts, read 4,360,909 times
Quote:

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/734/untitled9vr.gif (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas