U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:15 AM

11,203 posts, read 7,554,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Neither Mesquite nor Coyote Springs is or will be a satellite city. Both are recreation and retirement oriented. Neither is likely to be a rational commuter destination...among other reasons both are too expensive.

Neither has sufficient water to build even half a Henderson.

Boulder City might make it but has a municipal set up that guarantees it won't occur. It is also way too expensive.

Speculation has been on the AZ borders. The water problem does not presently appear solvable.

At this point it is Las Vegas or Las Vegas. There are not going to be any new satellites.
OK, if we want to get technical we can call them commuter communities.
Although, these cities might have much industry and commerce, the will/have experienced much of their growth due to their proximity to LV.

Definition:

"A commuter town is an urban community that is primarily residential, from which most of the workforce commute out to earn their livelihood. Most commuter towns are suburbs of a nearby metropolis that workers travel to daily, and many suburbs are commuter towns.
A commuter town may also be known as a bedroom community or "bedroom suburb"."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 10:40 AM

15,756 posts, read 32,315,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
OK, if we want to get technical we can call them commuter communities.
Although, these cities might have much industry and commerce, the will/have experienced much of their growth due to their proximity to LV.

Definition:

"A commuter town is an urban community that is primarily residential, from which most of the workforce commute out to earn their livelihood. Most commuter towns are suburbs of a nearby metropolis that workers travel to daily, and many suburbs are commuter towns.
A commuter town may also be known as a bedroom community or "bedroom suburb"."

Dude that is the definition I am working off. The properties that would make a commutable city are not present in anything that exists. You could commute to Las Vegas from Mesquite but it is not oriented to the commute but to local recreation. It is too expensive for a commuter town. Same with Coyote Springs. Pahrump would work but has a very big water problem with no solution in sight.

There has been speculation on the AZ border region but again no solution to the water question. AZ likely has sufficient water but does not, so far, chose to use it for this purpose.

So as of now you simply continue to build Las Vegas. Very unlikely to change in the next 20 years.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:46 PM

13,819 posts, read 24,435,322 times
Isn't Area 51 a "satellite community"??? Literally...and figuratively?

Old 08-16-2008, 05:01 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,599,209 times
There's no such place as area 51

Old 08-16-2008, 05:05 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,599,209 times
reminds me of the time the furst F117 [stealth fighter] crashed....the Air Farce Public information guy held a press conference....
He said "There is no such thing as a Stealth Fighter"
"BUT if there were, one crashed this morning"

And he turned and left the room.....press conference over.....

Old 01-05-2011, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,740 times
Cool looking

looking for place too move in to.for rent or sale 4 bed 2 bath.2 adults 3 kids.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,740 times
if thiers information about a plase pleas call.702-517-4077.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 AM

15,577 posts, read 34,394,971 times
For living, I'd only choose Vegas/Henderson. Mesquite would be the distant 3rd for me.

I visited Searchlight for the heck of it. Very small with a strong trailer park feel and look. At the same time, something interesting about that. I wouldn't live there though.

I liked Kingman, AZ on the list. I doubt if I'd live there either though. But it was a likeable enough place.

Anyways, the original post is from nearly 3 years ago...so all of the real estate in Vegas has changed. No one has to look that far out anymore. Very nice.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:16 PM

136 posts, read 290,710 times
I'd keep my eye on coyote springs

Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 PM

2,531 posts, read 3,952,254 times
Southern Utah (near the National Parks).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or