U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2008, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Home!
8,710 posts, read 10,099,552 times
Reputation: 8503

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
Hey Kimba welcome!! Next year is when you will really notice a difference. When we first moved here I couldn't tell the difference between humid and non humid. Now I can tell as soon as it creeps into double digits.

Just as in MI when we feel like we can't take another cold dreary day, here you feel that way about the heat. Then the fall hits and you start to get the 80-90 degree days with the cooler nights and you remember why you moved here!!!! Fall means 80's and 90's with SUN not cold, rainy dark days with winter right around the corner.

My kids LOVE Halloween here, they actually get to see what everyone's costume looks like!! Not hidden under a bunch of winter clothing.
Thanks for the welcome! I was just wondering where you have been lately. Figured you were doing all the last minute things for school and such.

I am so worried about my daughter going to school. I hope she can meet some friends. That is my biggest worry. I haven't even started the job search, myself, yet because I want to make sure she settles in ok. She will get out of school at 1:16pm and I am a little nervous about her walking home by herself yet. She is pretty shy and I think she is more nervous about going than she says. I don't let her know that I am. I keep talking it up. But going in by yourself, lunch by yourself and not knowing where you are going are all hard things for kids in school.

She will be going to Coronado. We did go for the welcome BBQ there, it was crazy crowded! And this was supposed to be for 9th and new students? Wow, is all I can say. The one thing I am glad for is that she did choose to stay with orchestra. She was not going to and we didn't bring her violin, we had to have my mom ship it overnight. But, I think she will meet some kids that way. She has been in orchestra for 5 years and I really hated to see her quit it.

Oh well, we will know tomorrow!! Bright and early!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2008, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Somewhere.
9,738 posts, read 21,508,355 times
Reputation: 7063
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosozoku View Post
hahaha..you always make me laugh brotha..i could just imagine you looking like this-- when you typed that.

hi Pink
Hi Boso
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 07:37 PM
 
Location: South Strip, NV --> Philly (Fall 2009)
2,404 posts, read 9,496,080 times
Reputation: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Thanks for the welcome! I was just wondering where you have been lately. Figured you were doing all the last minute things for school and such.

I am so worried about my daughter going to school. I hope she can meet some friends. That is my biggest worry. I haven't even started the job search, myself, yet because I want to make sure she settles in ok. She will get out of school at 1:16pm and I am a little nervous about her walking home by herself yet. She is pretty shy and I think she is more nervous about going than she says. I don't let her know that I am. I keep talking it up. But going in by yourself, lunch by yourself and not knowing where you are going are all hard things for kids in school.

She will be going to Coronado. We did go for the welcome BBQ there, it was crazy crowded! And this was supposed to be for 9th and new students? Wow, is all I can say. The one thing I am glad for is that she did choose to stay with orchestra. She was not going to and we didn't bring her violin, we had to have my mom ship it overnight. But, I think she will meet some kids that way. She has been in orchestra for 5 years and I really hated to see her quit it.

Oh well, we will know tomorrow!! Bright and early!

Thanks again!
yeh the high schools are overcrowded, most of the freshman classes are around 1500 students...she will meet people through the band and at most of the high schools, at least at the last comprehensive high school, there's way too many students for anyone to form cliques and mostly everyone knows each other and are approachable, its really easy to find people to sit to eat with especially when you recognize them from one of your classes, who then introduces you to other people, when I was going to comprehensive high school, my group of friends were at least 50 that all knew each other or knew of each other and you had a group you hung out with before school, during lunch/passing periods, and who you hung out with after school...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Upstate NY!
13,819 posts, read 24,444,340 times
Reputation: 7615
think on the positive side, kimba...she shouldn't be the only new kid in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 11:13 PM
 
Location: Jersey City, NJ
638 posts, read 1,897,236 times
Reputation: 415
Yep. She will quickly gravitate to the other new kids. Im sure there will be scores of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 11:47 PM
 
Location: Home!
8,710 posts, read 10,099,552 times
Reputation: 8503
I know you are all right. Thanks so much for the words of encouragement! She is really being such a trooper about all this, but I know her stomach is in knots. Fear of the unknown, I guess.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2008, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
560 posts, read 1,960,110 times
Reputation: 413
Yes, I have been busy with the back to school stuff. My daughter started Gorman last Tuesday and she was actually bummed when the weekend came. Guess you can't complain about that! I didn't realize your daughter was a freshman also, maybe we should get them together, they can share Michigan stories!! Good luck with the job search....try the school district that way you can have the same time off as your daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2008, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Home!
8,710 posts, read 10,099,552 times
Reputation: 8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
Yes, I have been busy with the back to school stuff. My daughter started Gorman last Tuesday and she was actually bummed when the weekend came. Guess you can't complain about that! I didn't realize your daughter was a freshman also, maybe we should get them together, they can share Michigan stories!! Good luck with the job search....try the school district that way you can have the same time off as your daughter.
I would love to find a job in the schools. When I inquired about it here, there were some negative responses as far as budget cuts, and how hard it is to get in. So...maybe I will give it a shot anyway!

I am sure my daughter would love to meet her. Yes, they could share MI stories. She is still in the "I want to go back to MI" phase. But, I expect that and I feel it sometimes too. I find it so pretty here sitting on my balcony looking out at the lights, mountains, sun...in MI when I sat on my porch, I saw my neighbors and their yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
560 posts, read 1,960,110 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I would love to find a job in the schools. When I inquired about it here, there were some negative responses as far as budget cuts, and how hard it is to get in. So...maybe I will give it a shot anyway!

I am sure my daughter would love to meet her. Yes, they could share MI stories. She is still in the "I want to go back to MI" phase. But, I expect that and I feel it sometimes too. I find it so pretty here sitting on my balcony looking out at the lights, mountains, sun...in MI when I sat on my porch, I saw my neighbors and their yards.

It took my kids about 6-8 months before they decided they liked it here. Now when I ask them they say that it would be hard to leave here also. I think they would still like to move back, but they would now be sad to leave all their friends here too. I don't think I ever want to move back, unless I could live on the Bay in Traverse City, or on Torch Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 AM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top