U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:00 PM

252 posts, read 598,602 times
Question Composting in Vegas?

I am moving to a house with a large backyard that has space for composting (and needs a lot of landscaping). I'd love to start composting to reduce my food waste and make some good fertilizer for plants. Is composting feasible in Vegas with the heat in the summer? I'm assuming that vermiculture wouldn't work, but does anyone have experience with that or other types here? I searched the forums and saw a couple people mention that they did, but no details.... Any info/guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 PM

3,731 posts, read 5,706,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gomonas View Post
I am moving to a house with a large backyard that has space for composting (and needs a lot of landscaping). I'd love to start composting to reduce my food waste and make some good fertilizer for plants. Is composting feasible in Vegas with the heat in the summer? I'm assuming that vermiculture wouldn't work, but does anyone have experience with that or other types here? I searched the forums and saw a couple people mention that they did, but no details.... Any info/guidance would be greatly appreciated!
We tried that quite a few years ago, in a little patch of dirt in the corner of the yard. Leaves, lawn clippings, coffee grounds, branches..no animal waste and no food items...

The pile of compost started to stink so bad in the high heat in summer, we got rid of it. It was in partial sunlight so I'm sure that didn't help either.

You can try it, but my experience with it was not good.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,083,342 times
I never heard of anyone composting here. Usually you compost to achieve rich organic soil for a garden but you cant grow gardens here. If you are doing any balcany vegetable plants then just go buy a bag at the nursery. Its easier and dont stink like Momom said.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:54 PM

12,252 posts, read 16,609,888 times
Comping...yes. Composting...no.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:27 AM

DS...who said you can't have a vegetable garden here? I had a small vegetable garden for years...that's why I did the composting. I grew tomatoes, basil, mint, peppers and zucchini.

Man, talk about good tomatoes!

I didn't know what was more work though, keeping up with the garden or the compost pile...

My neighbor down the street has a garden, once in a while I get a few tomatoes from him and some fresh basil.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:13 AM

9,487 posts, read 14,546,961 times
a friend of mine in summerlin has a full blown garden like Ohio.. tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, basil, lettuce..

it's unreal.. would have never believed it..

and the fruit trees, las vegas peaches are phenomenal. she has peaches, nectarines, oranges, lemons, and limes.... Lots of them.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:35 AM

Yes, absolutely airics. That's why I couldn't understand why DS stated that you can't garden in Las Vegas

A veggie garden takes work, and you have to be really careful about keeping everything well watered. But you'd be surprised how it flourishes, in the desert, no less!

OK, now you're gonna make me want to garden again

Old 08-19-2008, 01:42 PM

252 posts, read 598,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
DS...who said you can't have a vegetable garden here? I had a small vegetable garden for years...that's why I did the composting. I grew tomatoes, basil, mint, peppers and zucchini.

Man, talk about good tomatoes!

I didn't know what was more work though, keeping up with the garden or the compost pile...

My neighbor down the street has a garden, once in a while I get a few tomatoes from him and some fresh basil.
wow! that sounds great. I was thinking of getting a special bin/container. Don't know if that would make it better or worse. Maybe I could at least do seasonal composting fall-spring?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gomonas View Post
wow! that sounds great. I was thinking of getting a special bin/container. Don't know if that would make it better or worse. Maybe I could at least do seasonal composting fall-spring?
Yes, seasonal composting should be great. Just remember that with temps over 100 degrees for the whole summer, that compost heap/bin can get pretty nasty

Enjoy gardening in the desert. It's especially rewarding!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 PM

45 posts, read 116,909 times
Composting is a great idea for gardening in the desert! Vegas soil lacks a lot of organic material and could use better drainage. You may want to over-water the garden to flush any salts that have been in the existing soil before planting. I've learned that iron deficiencies can also become a problem with certain plants Fertilizers I like are ironite, fish emulsion, blood meal/bone meal, and sulfur. With sulfur, nutrients should become available in our alkaline dirt! My veggie successes have been watermelons, broccoli, and cauliflower In Utah I thought of myself as a green thumb....in Vegas it's trial and error Any other gardeners in Vegas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas