U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:12 AM

17 posts, read 86,096 times
Default Law Enforcement Jobs: 911 Dispatchers.

Hi,

Lurker here.

Are there any city-data frequenters who are involved at all in law enforcement?

I have long considered a job as a 911 dispatcher, but I do not know the staffing levels here in Vegas, nor how I could acquire such a position. I've been to Metro's employment website, but they never seem to have any open jobs for dispatchers listed -- nothing, over the past 8 months or so.

Any information would be greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM

3,731 posts, read 5,706,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takethevitamin View Post
Hi,

Lurker here.

Are there any city-data frequenters who are involved at all in law enforcement?

I have long considered a job as a 911 dispatcher, but I do not know the staffing levels here in Vegas, nor how I could acquire such a position. I've been to Metro's employment website, but they never seem to have any open jobs for dispatchers listed -- nothing, over the past 8 months or so.

Any information would be greatly appreciated...
Metro was a while ago, I don't think they are doing hiring of 911 dispatchers at this point in time...but here is a starting point for you, complete with all the info you need...good luck to you

Las Vegas Now | Metro Police Hiring 911 Dispatchers

Old 08-21-2008, 12:21 PM

201 posts, read 671,466 times
Look into Henderson PD as well.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 AM

2,547 posts, read 3,993,438 times
Have you taken a class to be a dispatcher? I passed the one at Napa Valley College, but I decided against being on here in Vegas. I know my way around, for the most part, but not well enough to direct the officers.

You might want to check with NHP as well. Best of luck.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:19 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,768,727 times
I was a 9-1-1 dispatcher here in Ohio and I can tell you, you can't just make up your mind to be one. It had to be, without a doubt, the hardest position I was ever hired for. Here, and I imagine there, you begin with a civil service application when the police force is contemplating hiring. In my case, they accepted 1400 applications to choose 16 people. The weeding out and testing took over 6 mos. You must be able to keyboard accurately and fast while talking thru your headphones in an upsetting situation and be adaptable to quickly learning various programs. Once past this, background checks begin. My police force called neighbors, ex-husbands, ex-wives, as well as former employers. You cannot have any domestic violence in your family. Next your abilities as a dispatcher are tested because in most cases operators and dispatchers are dual positions. Contact all local police forces and check with civil service for announcements of testing.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:00 PM

207 posts, read 641,895 times
The City of Las Vegas website had positions posted about 5 or 6 months ago. I'm not sure how the county, NLV, or Henderson handle it but it seems LV hires through the city for dispatcher positions. Don't quote me on it, but I am certain I saw openings on the site.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:30 PM

2,547 posts, read 3,993,438 times
I've got a clean background, but the main thing that kept me from doing it was carpal tunnel in both wrists, and tendinitis in the left hand, from the pinky to the elbow.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:09 AM

17 posts, read 86,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I was a 9-1-1 dispatcher here in Ohio and I can tell you, you can't just make up your mind to be one. It had to be, without a doubt, the hardest position I was ever hired for. Here, and I imagine there, you begin with a civil service application when the police force is contemplating hiring. In my case, they accepted 1400 applications to choose 16 people. The weeding out and testing took over 6 mos. You must be able to keyboard accurately and fast while talking thru your headphones in an upsetting situation and be adaptable to quickly learning various programs. Once past this, background checks begin. My police force called neighbors, ex-husbands, ex-wives, as well as former employers. You cannot have any domestic violence in your family. Next your abilities as a dispatcher are tested because in most cases operators and dispatchers are dual positions. Contact all local police forces and check with civil service for announcements of testing.
Given. I'm just curious how I might begin the process, seeing as the website doesn't seem to offer any place to submit an application at this time, despite the fact that it says they're "actively recruiting" new dispatcher-trainees.

I understand how civil service apps. and intensive background checks work, as I experienced the same thing when becoming an FAA civilian air traffic controller. After the year and a half of the application process, multiple aptitude tests, medical exams, psych. exams, and selection panel after selection panel, I was finally able to be trained and assigned a facility. I believe this line of work might be a good transition for me.

I suppose I'll just have to give them a ring. Thanks, folks.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:38 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,768,727 times
You obviously understand the process then and also understand since the training is so comprehensive, they always hire en mass so they have a substantial training class. I would think communications and dispatching would be quite a pay cut below what you were earning as a controller? I'm sure one would keep quite busy working for Metro or Henderson. I wish you the best of luck in finding what you want.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 11,322 times
Default 9-1-1 Emergency Dispatcher Metro

I am currently a 9-1-1 Emergency Dispatcher. Metro is opening the position on the LVMPD.com website 12/17/08, there are only a limited number of applications, so make sure to fill it out completely. Main points to consider, Extreme High Stress work environment, mandatory overtime, accurate to the second sound decision making, 3rd ear multi tasking to hear officers, and type what they are saying while talking to someone else regarding an entirely different issue, "0" tolerance for mistakes for Officer and public safety. You must be able to leave the job at the door when your shift is over or it will devour you. Not for the faint at heart. Now for the bottom line. This is the most rewarding position, held to the highest integrity, loyalty and honesty. There will be a polygraph test regarding many touchy subjects, they are looking for honesty, and there will be a Psychiatrist evaluation, both of these are administered after passing various skills tests, there are practice books available at the book store. Good luck..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas