U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:14 PM

1,962 posts, read 3,748,634 times

Advertisements

Moved here from DC one year ago. What is great is that compared to what I left behind:

1. Traffic is a breeze here compared to DC, I can get from one end to the other at any time of the day which can't be done in DC.

2. Crime is barely a blip on the radar compared to DC/Baltimore.

3. No state income tax, keeps the tax and spend jokers out of the picture.

4. The weather is great, yes it is hot; however, I'll gladly take 113 at 11% humidity versus 94 degrees with 85% humidity where you have the effect of carrying 2 people in sweat (yuck) along with hard breathing. Allows me to play golf year-round which is something I can't do all the time in DC.

The biggest issue that someone could have with Vegas is the monotonous weather. If you need the 4 seasons, this is not the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 07:08 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,605,387 times
I feel much like desertsun does. Las Vegas is just a different place. When I first came loved it. I worked in the school system's bureaucracy. When they started making dumb on top of dumb positions, I knew it was time to go. When they did something well, they dropped it. I wanted more for the students, and more for myself. I made great friends and found love in Vegas but was so miserable in that system that I left all the good things to further my career.

If you have kids, you do not want to move here and leave them to the mercy of public schools.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:55 AM

9,750 posts, read 21,599,773 times
I sometimes love Vegas, but most of the time I just like it.
I like that there is always something to do 24/7 even if I just end up staying home and watching TV.
I have met more nice people here than any other place I've ever lived.
I like having access to natural food stores, farmers markets, great walking and biking trails...plus living on the edge of the city makes it feel like I am in the country, and it's like a small town out here.

Sure, the heat gets bad, and the wind, it's because it's the desert. It's the way it is. You either get used to it or learn to hate it and move away. It's that simple. I love it when it gets really cold for a few days in the winter, and I am not huddled under a blanket on the couch sipping tea, I'm out walking in it.
I also love it when it rains..since it's a rare occasion. and yes, I run and open the doors to watch it. And the rare snowflake too.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:08 AM

152 posts, read 574,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I feel much like desertsun does. Las Vegas is just a different place. When I first came loved it. I worked in the school system's bureaucracy. When they started making dumb on top of dumb positions, I knew it was time to go. When they did something well, they dropped it. I wanted more for the students, and more for myself. I made great friends and found love in Vegas but was so miserable in that system that I left all the good things to further my career.

If you have kids, you do not want to move here and leave them to the mercy of public schools.
Please don't take this personally...but it just seems that you became unhappy with your work situation and then transferred those feelings to Vegas itself. And being that you worked for the state, I suppose that is understandable.

I don't have any kids and if I do they will be home/private schooled no matter what state I'm in. I won't send them to the government training camps (aka public school).

But I'm derailing my own thread now...who else loves Vegas?

Old 08-23-2008, 09:23 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,909,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveinPA View Post

But I'm derailing my own thread now...who else loves Vegas?
I see that you are from PA? What part?

Vegas is very different than PA. I grew up in a small town near Mercer, PA. Vegas does get some getting use to. But as long as you learn what areas of town not to go into you will be ok.

I do miss the seasons, love the east coast in the fall, when all the leaves are changing. If you get home sick, you can always go to Mt. Charleston and go skiing. It is very beautiful up there.

Moved here 10 years ago and love it!

Old 08-23-2008, 09:35 AM

1,755 posts, read 4,823,193 times
LV is what it is. If you find LV more to your liking than where you came from; congratulations,and I wish you all the best. There is no other place quite like LV, for many, many reasons. Some good, some bad. But, come, explore, and enjoy.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:34 AM

201 posts, read 875,742 times
From NYC and I like Vegas very much. The weather, the mountains, the outdoor recreation, shopping, dining, entertainment. I've made a lot of friends so far but i'm proactive and have joined some clubs and have gotten myself out there.

The negativity I see here is mostly from people who just don't make the effort to get out there and explore. There's ton's to do, none of which require that much effort to find. I personally don't drink, gamble or go to bars/clubs and I have tons to do.

Naturally it's all relative to where you come from. Better weather than NYC, less traffic, more outdoor stuff to do, and I can actually buy a house. Works for me.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:15 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,902,835 times
Nice comment Sheriff and I mean that sincerely.

For the comment that says 'If you say you like it here, you are lying through your teeth'??? What is that all about. You made money or the construction boom, now no longer construction so you lost it all?? Sad, but if you were that smart to make it, you should have been smart not to blow it. Pathetic post from you and thanks for jumping in and posting something 180 degrees out from the OP question.

I think you will find people that are truly happy no matter where they are. It is up to the individual and we all have different tastes.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:58 AM

1,755 posts, read 4,823,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
Nice comment Sheriff and I mean that sincerely.

For the comment that says 'If you say you like it here, you are lying through your teeth'??? What is that all about. You made money or the construction boom, now no longer construction so you lost it all?? Sad, but if you were that smart to make it, you should have been smart not to blow it. Pathetic post from you and thanks for jumping in and posting something 180 degrees out from the OP question.

I think you will find people that are truly happy no matter where they are. It is up to the individual and we all have different tastes.
Hardly a pathetic post------------ on my part; I only wish newomers to LV a truly better lfe in Lv. That being the case, prosper on.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:10 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,605,387 times
I would have stayed in Las Vegas if I could have found a different work situation. But there is only one school district. But Vegas does have other problems, too. The graffiti is a blight that I haven't seen in my new home. My home was broken into in Vegas, but a great detective actually found some of my stuff including my wedding ring and my dvd player. They even knew who the crook was but I don't think they could ever locat them to make an arrest.

I hated leaving my friends--I made what I think will turn into lifelong friendships in Vegas--but my work is my passion and I couldn't function within the chaos of the school district. I didn't transfer my feeling regarding work to Vegas itself. There are great things about Vegas--many of the people, KNPR, the weather, great dining and entertainment, and the feeling that the city can have a brighter future than others because of its relative youth. But something has to be done about CCSD and I wish you all much luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas