Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:10 PM

152 posts, read 637,172 times

Advertisements

Still looking at multiple cities and considering my options...Vegas area pops up again and again.

I see a lot of negativity on these boards...so I have to ask:

Who has moved to Vegas and loves it?

What is great about it? What sucks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,912,192 times
LV from Detroit suburbs. I am liking it so far. (it has only been a week, though)

Old 08-22-2008, 03:11 PM

23,553 posts, read 23,870,140 times
Los Angeles area native here. The only thing I really dislike, comparatively speaking, is the unrelenting heat, but this is only my 2nd summer, and I'm already getting used to it. Other than that, Las Vegas is great!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:14 PM

253 posts, read 1,329,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveinPA View Post
Still looking at multiple cities and considering my options...Vegas area pops up again and again.

I see a lot of negativity on these boards...so I have to ask:

Who has moved to Vegas and loves it?

What is great about it? What sucks?
Moved here from San Francisco Bay Area and love it.

What's great is I like the hot weather, the people are nicer, state laws are much more entrepreneur-friendly, no state income tax, and there is a libertarian atmosphere that values real freedom instead of the Stalinist groupthink you have to endure in Northern California. Plus Southern California is a fairly short drive, and you can enjoy it whenever you want.

What sucks is the wind - and it's a little too cold for my liking in December and January. Also, half of L.A.'s gang problem has migrated here, but that can be circumvented by avoiding certain neighborhoods.

The Strip I can take or leave. It's fun once in a while, but I'm sure the people who live next door to Disneyland hardly ever go, either.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:47 PM

207 posts, read 905,380 times
Been here 13 months now and love it. Great central location if you love the outdoors. If you're the type that needs to disconnect for awhile and just leave, it's great for that too because once you're out of the greater LV area you are on your own. If you have friends that like to travel and you like playing host, I cannot think of a better place. I still see new stuff all the time because people show up and we do the tourist thing and it hasn't gotten old yet.

Only dislike is the wind, it's pretty much the only weather I've witnessed here.

Came here from Norfolk, VA (but mostly at sea) and grew up in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I'll never go back to either after experiencing Las Vegas.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:30 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,689,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandalR View Post
Moved here from San Francisco Bay Area and love it.

What's great is I like the hot weather, the people are nicer, state laws are much more entrepreneur-friendly, no state income tax, and there is a libertarian atmosphere that values real freedom instead of the Stalinist groupthink you have to endure in Northern California. Plus Southern California is a fairly short drive, and you can enjoy it whenever you want.

What sucks is the wind - and it's a little too cold for my liking in December and January. Also, half of L.A.'s gang problem has migrated here, but that can be circumvented by avoiding certain neighborhoods.

The Strip I can take or leave. It's fun once in a while, but I'm sure the people who live next door to Disneyland hardly ever go, either.

+1 I too moved from NorCal, and everything posted above is true. I actually encountered more gangs in Northern CA, but that can also be circumvented if you avoid certain cities like Richmond, CA or Oakland and parts of San Francisco & San Jose.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:56 PM

250 posts, read 1,111,002 times
From NH to Vegas for 4 years. Then Vegas to NJ for one year. And now back in Vegas and couldn't be happier! I can't imagine living anywhere but here, I love it. No state tax, affordable houses and affordable property tax. The weather, the small town feel with big city conveniences, it can't be beat IMO...

Old 08-22-2008, 05:13 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,831,248 times
I was born and raised in SoCal. From Orange County to the Inland Empire to San Diego, I've lived all over down there as well as a year and a half in Seattle. Moved here in 1993 and have absolutely loved every minute of it. Even as it grows and reinvents itself. Sure the traffic gets a little bit more frustrating and everything gets a little more crowded, but it is very interesting watching this city grow and change.

I will also have to agree with RandalR above. California has a much more liberal mindset, where every single one of my rights infringes upon some minority or endangered species. Out here (although that is changing ever so slightly) as long as I am not hurting you I can do pretty much what I want (within reason of course). It's as if the pioneer spirit of the westward movement back in the 1800's is alive and well. This pioneer spirit is not only alive with regards to individual rights, but with regard to economics as well with the lack of state taxes and the business friendly environment. Now keep in mind that certain types of people will absolutely hate it out here. Many people would rather live in a more established (Las Vegas is still relatively young) city with more history and "culture". However, if you are the type of person that is willing to take risks, always looking for something new and different, and of course can stand the heat then Vegas is a great place to call home.

The one thing I truly dislike about Vegas is the blow dryer effect. 30 mph winds with 105+ degree temps. It is exactly what it sounds like.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:38 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,550,119 times
I had all the same nice positive things to say as above a dozen years ago when I came here. I no longer have much nice to say about it. I wonder if in a dozen years those posts above would change.

It was nicer here before the boom. Many of us came here not for the boom in construction, because there was none till 1999 or so but rather we came here to escape the crime, the traffic, the nasty people and so on from where we came from. But like all big growing cities, all that bad followed us here.

The growth can be good or bad depending on what you like. It made me wealthy but I lost it all in the current depression bust just as easy.

When I first got here I too loved the heat. But over the years it gets to you. After 5 years you start to tire of the extreme heat. At about 8 years you can no longer tolerate it. 115 every single day....those who come on here saying they love it are lying through their teeth. If they love it so much then what are they doing in their nice comfy home with the AC cranked up?

It was an experience living here I would not trade for the world. Im so happy I decided to move here on a whim of an up and coming construction boom. But I have had it up to and beyond my ears. The current local depression has much to do with my thoughts there.

I can say that after a dozen years I have made maybe 8 green lights during that time. Met some of the ugliest and meanest oink oinks on earth. Enjoyed some really good restaurants. Met many famous movie stars, sports figures, musicians, and so many famous people that many of you all know. They try to chop my prices just the same as the middle class people do. They are no different. Celine, your hubby Rene is still one of the nicest people I ever met. Iron Mike I like you more then everyone else does. To my friends of Aerosmith, I will never forget you jambing while I installed your kitchen in your Henderson getaway. Catfish Hunter one of the greatest Oakland A's pitchers I miss you RIP.

I have also met some real good people on this very forum, even in the LV threads. I have given jobs to 2 of you.

Im so happy I never got started on gambling. I lost several real good friends to the addiction. They had to move to get away from those one arm bandits as we used to call them.

Have a wonderful day !!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:10 PM

256 posts, read 734,542 times
I lived in Vegas for 2 years. I loved the weather and the housing is affordable. It is transient and everyone from store owners to service people are looking for a quick buck. Had to watch everyone, because everyone seemed to be on the make. Very transient, if you passed out on your front door step your neighbor would roll you and leave you lay there. IMO not much to do there. The stip gets old and Lake Mead is boring. The air quality is terrible there. You can see the smog as you drive in. People drive right through red lights. I have lived in Ohio, Penn, No and So Ca, New Orleans for a short period of time and Germany.
I am sure it it a great city for some. have a nephew who you could not pry him away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas