U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:50 PM

105 posts, read 195,211 times

Advertisements

Ah, the memories. I used to live on Naples St.(1992) , little short street off of swenson and deadended into campus. My backyard was the Thomas and Mack parking lot, where my boyfriend taught me how to ride a motorcycle... Anyway, that was a cheap studio. That part of town isn't the best, but not the worst. Go, enjoy, and be aware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 10:25 PM

12,252 posts, read 16,961,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
some of the little plazas nearby UNLV have some great ethnic food and interesting stores as well...
My wife and I got tattoos at Iron Horse Tattoos in one of those little plazas. It was a fine experience, tho' parking was tight, probably due to the road construction taking place at the time.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:34 PM

2,404 posts, read 7,460,210 times
parking is very hard to get in some of those centers, try the Tiffany Place where the Mediterranean Cafe is located...or the Promenade...

Old 08-31-2008, 02:50 PM

8 posts, read 30,436 times
It really probably depends on the standards you are looking for..

I graduated from UNLV and wouldn't live anywhere near there..

But I saw people responding saying that North Las Vegas isn't anywhere like the ghetto in So Cal.. I come from there and tend to disagree.. It really is personal opinion.

If you stayed at Trop/Koval and walked around and didn't have a problem with it, I don't think you'd have a problem staying near UNLV either.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 14,021 times
Thanks for your replies, guys! I got couple more questions.
Where do most UNLV students tend to stay?
What's the biggest "bang for the buck" if I'm looking for a studio appartment not more expensive than $450 a month?

Old 09-01-2008, 12:14 PM

15,756 posts, read 20,841,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoRivas1986 View Post
Thanks for your replies, guys! I got couple more questions.
Where do most UNLV students tend to stay?
What's the biggest "bang for the buck" if I'm looking for a studio appartment not more expensive than $450 a month?

I would avoid north of the campus. Anything east and south will work as will east and north. I would avoid the druggie area to the north but other than that you will do fine. There are enclaves even in the drug areas that are likely OK but violence tends to pop in the area...why buy that hassle?

Note that we don't have much of a hispanic presence on this list. I suspect as you head east you will find multiple hispanic enclaves where you may well be able to do fine for $450. Gringos are disadvantaged in the area - and not knowledgable.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:29 PM

91 posts, read 262,385 times
That's one of the nicest most exclusive areas in town.

The one place nicer is Pennwood between Arville and Valley View.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:46 PM

818 posts, read 2,635,483 times
Franko is being facetious - both the Sierra Vista and Pennwood areas are known for drug and gang problems.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,499 times
In agreement, i just moved here and I live in the area of Tropicana and Maryland Parkway. I came here from Detroit. This place is safe if you ask me and the apartments in the area you're talking bout is wher all of the students stay. It's not bad - I'm not sure what people are talking about. i've been living here for 3 months now and I feel safe. There's plenty of schools in that area as well. DOn't let people scare you - there's always something in a city but for the most part this place is pretty safe.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:26 AM

4 posts, read 12,031 times
Default It's a Ghetto

I rented a condo up the street from UNLV and UNLV was about a 5-minute walk away from this condo. I saw a man die cause he got shot. Lots of drugs!! It's a low rent district so you get a lot of "undesireables" living in the area. Tons of graffiti. While I lived in this condo, a guy tried to break in while I was seated at my computer in front of the window. I only lasted in that condo 6 weeks and I moved to Desert Shores - safer area, better place, GET OUTTA THAT MESS!! UNLV is best to commute to - take the bus - live elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas