U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 02:55 AM

2,404 posts, read 9,524,082 times

Advertisements

ok, i have heard many horror stories about Desert Shores as well...there are also lots of drugs in upper-rent districts as well...
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 11:30 AM

15,756 posts, read 32,479,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
ok, i have heard many horror stories about Desert Shores as well...there are also lots of drugs in upper-rent districts as well...
20 to 1 difference in crime rates.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,512 times
I go to UNLV right now; I commute from a good part of town, but I often stroll Maryland Parkway on food hunts and such. It's definitely not as bad as your described experiences in DC. I lived in Brooklyn NY as a youth and it was a lot scarier going to high school there, too. I guess one thing to worry about if you live nearby are carjackings - I hear a lot about those. But if you won't have a car . . .

The actual Vegas 'ghetto' is actually located in North Las Vegas, right around where the streets take on alphabetical names (near the Fremont area). So there.

Also, not to call you out on anything, but I noticed how you insist that you aren't prejudiced against black people and that you only speak from your nasty experiences in DC, but in your closing line you mention how "there almost aren't even any black people there" as a sign of a safer neighborhood. Wouldn't you call it prejudice, in a quite negative form, to think that black people are unsafe?

I was from a heavily Carribean/African-American populated part of Brooklyn too, although I wouldn't say my neighborhood back then (Canarsie area of Brooklyn, fyi) was as bad as how you describe your section of DC. Anyway, just saying.

Also, there is a large Mexican presence here, so if it's being discriminated by the majority you're worried about . . . don't

Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,479,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigas2k View Post
I go to UNLV right now; I commute from a good part of town, but I often stroll Maryland Parkway on food hunts and such. It's definitely not as bad as your described experiences in DC. I lived in Brooklyn NY as a youth and it was a lot scarier going to high school there, too. I guess one thing to worry about if you live nearby are carjackings - I hear a lot about those. But if you won't have a car . . .

The actual Vegas 'ghetto' is actually located in North Las Vegas, right around where the streets take on alphabetical names (near the Fremont area). So there.

Also, not to call you out on anything, but I noticed how you insist that you aren't prejudiced against black people and that you only speak from your nasty experiences in DC, but in your closing line you mention how "there almost aren't even any black people there" as a sign of a safer neighborhood. Wouldn't you call it prejudice, in a quite negative form, to think that black people are unsafe?

I was from a heavily Carribean/African-American populated part of Brooklyn too, although I wouldn't say my neighborhood back then (Canarsie area of Brooklyn, fyi) was as bad as how you describe your section of DC. Anyway, just saying.

Also, there is a large Mexican presence here, so if it's being discriminated by the majority you're worried about . . . don't
Worse sections of town are not black. More mixed with a substantial white population. Try E. Fremnot or the naked city.

The alphabet streets are pretty much in the City of Las Vegas. Or at least the famous ones are...

Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigas2k View Post

alphabet streets aren't near fremont and are part of the city of las vegas, not north las vegas

Old 10-29-2008, 11:48 PM

33 posts, read 117,780 times
A bit off-topic, but...

Everyone says that Trop. is seedy, but I come from NY, and it was cake. Specifically, Trop.&Arville/Valleyview/etc.

I walked around as a female at odd hours of the night/morning and no one bothered me, or solicited me for anything. I smelled marijuana once (big deal) and saw a Surrenos 13 tag on a banister, but that was the extent of the "drugs" and "gangs".

If I were you, OP, I'd try to make a visit and check it out yourself. It's hard for others to share similar opinions on what 'dangerous' is...

Old 10-30-2008, 12:50 AM

its hard for some to say what dangerous is, especially when they usually have spent very little experience in that area, or just think of one visit to skew their view of an area, or have racist thoughts about an area

Old 10-31-2008, 09:06 AM

1,962 posts, read 3,748,634 times
Coming from DC, I can say that it's not SE DC where I have worked during the time that DC was the murder capital of the nation in the late 80's. However, I have a client at the intersection the OP mentioned. A lot of prostitutes use the hotels for their transactions, I have never seen any gang activity. There is some graffiti, and the apartments behind the Rebel are run down.

There are nicer areas to live, but it's definately not the worst in the city.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:07 AM

109 posts, read 445,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividibitchy View Post
A bit off-topic, but...

Everyone says that Trop. is seedy, but I come from NY, and it was cake. Specifically, Trop.&Arville/Valleyview/etc.

I walked around as a female at odd hours of the night/morning and no one bothered me, or solicited me for anything. I smelled marijuana once (big deal) and saw a Surrenos 13 tag on a banister, but that was the extent of the "drugs" and "gangs".

If I were you, OP, I'd try to make a visit and check it out yourself. It's hard for others to share similar opinions on what 'dangerous' is...
I totally agreee. The last placed I lived was Flatbush brooklyn, Tropicana is like disneyland.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:32 PM

78 posts, read 308,898 times
WOW....it amazes me how people view this area...Vegas is, in my opinion, a very sterile environment, and most people are very comfortable living in their gated communities with cinder block wells. I am in Real Estate, been in it for years, and have lived all over this Valley. I keep returning and call my permanent residence near UNLV. I would not change it for anything.

Crime? Prostitutes? Drugs? People....check the news...Henderson, Summerlin, Mountains Edge...its everywhere. So to the guy who says watch your back???? I think thats a good rule of thumb everywhere....and do not buy into the false sense of security that the Summerlins and Green Valley Provide.

Use good judgement everywhere...for me..I love the diversity....love the options, the shops, the choice of food....I would not live anywhere else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or