Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 PM

471 posts, read 624,945 times

Advertisements

Who cares about a college community when you have THE STRIP!

How many "college communities" can say they have that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 09:07 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusman199 View Post

A college town is like a "strip" of like-minded people with really neat places to congregate and hangout. Not a bunch of harried tourists from all over who could care less about anything you are interested in because they are on their own missions.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:31 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
oye vey! take it to the blog already..

Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
A college town is like a "strip" of like-minded people with really neat places to congregate and hangout. Not a bunch of harried tourists from all over who could care less about anything you are interested in because they are on their own missions.

dude I go to a college with a "strip"

it's like comparing an Omega to a Casio.

I swear y'all should NEVER take what y'all have in Vegas for granted. There's only one and you guys have the privilege to live it whenever you want. Tourists spend THOUSANDS every year to come see where you guys LIVE!!! Just look at me...I'm leaving my own house, my college, and my dog and spending money for what? To do what you guys have the opportunity to do every day. Have fun on the strip!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:50 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusman199 View Post

Many students in college aren't over 21, therefore they have no use for the Strip and follow the same dilemma as area high school and middle school students where there is nothing to do since everything for the underage is or has been closing down.

A real city and college community contains centers of culture, with many art galleries, museums, independent theater venues, music venues, all affordable to college students. That is what a lot of college students are looking for.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 PM

First of all, I am not your DUDE. Maybe you should practice typing without starting out with that. That said, I do NOT live in Vegas, at the moment. I did for a short time and I will again. Not because of the Strip. I have been there visiting many times before. Had my fun and 3 or 4 nights of it was enough.

BUT, because of everything else. The people, the fact that it is so much cleaner there, the weather, the roads with no potholes and construction that is done in 1/4 of the time it is in MI, no snow, my husband, the mountains...notice I did not say the entertainment...I can get that anywhere. I can go to Cancun, Rio, Detroit, whereever. But for day to day living, it is so much more. So, the Strip is not taken for granted by the locals, DUDE...the rest of what is there is-by the TOURISTS (you).

Besides that, I thought you said there is nothing where you are. Because in Ann Arbor (home of U-M)there is alot there. That is just one example.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
Many students in college aren't over 21, therefore they have no use for the Strip and follow the same dilemma as area high school and middle school students where there is nothing to do since everything for the underage is or has been closing down.

A real city and college community contains centers of culture, with many art galleries, museums, independent theater venues, music venues, all affordable to college students. That is what a lot of college students are looking for.

Can't argue with that. For me though personally, I couldn't yawn bigger when it comes to museums and art.

Also, I'm not 21 yet but you can still rock out in Vegas...ladies, shows, food...

LVkewlkid - I take it your a young adult? do you like theater and stuff over the strip club? not to jerk ya or anything it's cool if you do.

ok, we're starting to stray off topic. Lexusman, let's pose all your questions over on your blog. It could be a very lively place. As it is now, you are going to pull threads off topic and we don't want that.

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-09-2009 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: mod interpose

Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
First of all, I am not your DUDE. Maybe you should practice typing without starting out with that. That said, I do NOT live in Vegas, at the moment. I did for a short time and I will again. Not because of the Strip. I have been there visiting many times before. Had my fun and 3 or 4 nights of it was enough.

BUT, because of everything else. The people, the fact that it is so much cleaner there, the weather, the roads with no potholes and construction that is done in 1/4 of the time it is in MI, no snow, my husband, the mountains...notice I did not say the entertainment...I can get that anywhere. I can go to Cancun, Rio, Detroit, whereever. But for day to day living, it is so much more. So, the Strip is not taken for granted by the locals, DUDE...the rest of what is there is-by the TOURISTS (you).

Besides that, I thought you said there is nothing where you are. Because in Ann Arbor (home of U-M)there is alot there. That is just one example.

Yeah that's cool. I mean maybe it's an age difference. I'm a young adult so I don't care much for mountains and snow. I like lights, action, excitement. My dad on the other hand doesn't like Vegas lol. I didn't know you were a girl though. I would've been more respectful of ladies and stuff if I knew. Sorry about that...

Last edited by lexusman199; 02-09-2009 at 10:09 PM..

Old 02-09-2009, 10:18 PM

Apology accepted. And yes, most likely it has a lot to do with age difference. But...I do like fun though, but even when I was your age I could see beyond that, too.

I always said, go there, check it out, but believe us when we say it can wear on you. My husband moved out there when he was a little older than you. Loved it, loved the lifestyle of partying and all night fun. He worked on the Venetian, so he had a good job there too. Had tickets to go to Cabo with his bud and the day they were due to leave-he hopped on a plane to MI. Said that even though he wanted to go party it up in Cabo, he was afraid that if he didn't leave he would die or be killed. He didn't even tell his buddy, he just left.

Never stopped loving the area though, and his dream was always to go back one day. He has matured (well, sorta, he is a guy, ya know) and he is living his dream. Still likes to party a bit, but he also enjoys so much more about it than that.

One day you will "get it". Be smart. There is life beyond what you are seeing. Don't blink too long, you will miss it.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Apology accepted. And yes, most likely it has a lot to do with age difference. But...I do like fun though, but even when I was your age I could see beyond that, too.

I always said, go there, check it out, but believe us when we say it can wear on you. My husband moved out there when he was a little older than you. Loved it, loved the lifestyle of partying and all night fun. He worked on the Venetian, so he had a good job there too. Had tickets to go to Cabo with his bud and the day they were due to leave-he hopped on a plane to MI. Said that even though he wanted to go party it up in Cabo, he was afraid that if he didn't leave he would die or be killed. He didn't even tell his buddy, he just left.

Never stopped loving the area though, and his dream was always to go back one day. He has matured (well, sorta, he is a guy, ya know) and he is living his dream. Still likes to party a bit, but he also enjoys so much more about it than that.

One day you will "get it". Be smart. There is life beyond what you are seeing. Don't blink too long, you will miss it.

ok great!

your husband made a smart decision! nice story. two roads diverged in a yellow wood!

mod interpose: consider this thread officially hijacked. Posts will be deleted if this continues. Thank you. --'r

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-09-2009 at 10:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas