U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,585 times

Advertisements

We have been living in a 3 bedroom place for one month now and have been issued with a notice of pending eviction because the pet fee has been paid. We don't have any pets, it was mentioned that one of the people moving in did have a small dog and she was asked to pay it when the pets arrive (as of yet they have not, and this was mentioned 6 days ago when I paid the rent)

Since the options given by the property manager were pay the Pet fee or discuss quitting the lease I am thinking we might quit the lease. A week after we moved in Construction started next door of a 5 story apartment complex. Before we moved in we asked what was going in there and when and they said they did not know. So my question is, Does the apartment leasing manager have any obligation to let us know when construction was schedule to start? We are woken each morning at 6.15am by the machines out there and it continues until dark. I would like to know as a barginning aspect when I go talk to them tomorrow

Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,668,530 times
You are being evicted because you did pay a pet fee yet do not have one? What am I missing here? I re-read twice and that's what you said.

I believe if you were making a purchase your question of whats being built next door must be answered either by your Realtor or the seller. But an apartment I doubt they have any obligations to tell you. But you can bet your life they knew when you asked and they said they dont know.

The construction schedule you mentioned is pretty typical for summer hours. Those guys like to start real early. Way earlier then I can get outta bed. I suspect they may start a little later once the weather cools down.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:51 PM

638 posts, read 1,957,748 times
Chances are you talked to some moron in the leasing office who was probably high on drugs when you asked about the construction.

You cant trust people who work for apartment management companies. Most of them are horrible human beings.

Never pay a pet deposit until they bust you with a pet. Certainly do not pay it if you DONT have a pet.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,585 times
The thing I need to know before going down and talking with them tomorrow is if they have a legal obligation to tells us about the construction, or for that matter that the apartment was remodeled after being flooded with sewage! The pet thing is a non issue since there is no pets, just miffed that they don't talk to each other in the office, one says it is ok, to wait until the pet there, the other see's it as unpaid rent

Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 33,435,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarlock View Post
The thing I need to know before going down and talking with them tomorrow is if they have a legal obligation to tells us about the construction, or for that matter that the apartment was remodeled after being flooded with sewage! The pet thing is a non issue since there is no pets, just miffed that they don't talk to each other in the office, one says it is ok, to wait until the pet there, the other see's it as unpaid rent
No. Disclosure on an apartment lease on off premises stuff is tough.

and I would in fact not be surprised that they did not know.

If you ain't got a pet they can't evict you for having one and not paying the fee. However they can certainly try to evict you and they will succeed unless you defend yourself. That means showing up at court and all that.

You will almost certainly win in the end but then you are on a lease with a hostile landlord...and you will almost certainly end up in court at the end of the lease when you try to get your security deposit back. .

If you don't like the place tell them to keep it and move. Note though that you again may have a difficult time getting your security deposit back.

Before you go any further tell them you want it in writing so you can discuss it with your lawyer. Can't hurt - may help.

Decide how bad it is...if you don't pay the pet deposit you get hasseled one way or the other.

You are off in to one of the life ain't fair episodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas