U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2008, 12:56 AM

31 posts, read 177,601 times

Advertisements

which town has a small town feel to it,meaning a nice downtown area to shop, go restaurants,entertaintment,and that have outdoor activities.boulder city or summerlin or any other town that has that feel to it.researching the possiblity of relocatining from the jersey shore.....tire of the cold winters!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 01:16 AM

2,404 posts, read 9,491,498 times
summerlin isn't a town, if you are looking for something close to being like the jersey shore, (i'm originally from Bradley Beach, which is just south of Asbury Park), then I guess Boulder City would be close to that small town feel...

Old 09-07-2008, 08:50 AM

10,425 posts, read 43,286,548 times
I agree with lvkewlkid. There ain't no towns here. Just big city life. And nothing like where your coming from which by the way...I am too.

I also agree with lvkewl that Boulder City will closely match what your wishing for. Small neighborhoods with all small cape cods on 50 X 100 lots. Almost no tract homes. Everyone in Boulder City knows eachother. Crime is almost non existant. Plenty of stores to get your necessities but almost no strip mall feel. They even have a down town walking street with some nice shops. My favorite is Milos Wine Cafe. They allow dogs to dine with their parents. My kind of place.

I dont think I would call Pahrump a small town. Not like some of us describe a town anyway. You would have to go visit for yourself there and see if its for you.

If you still work for a living you will be commuting to the big city.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:34 AM

12,686 posts, read 30,796,637 times
There is really nothing like that in Nevada. Boulder City has maybe four or five restaurants that are any good, and that's a stretch; no real shopping except for a very few (10 maybe?) small stores. You'd still end up shopping in Henderson or Las Vegas for most things. But Boulder City does have a different small town atmosphere that is rare for this part of the country. In Northern Nevada there are a few small towns like Ely, Elko, Carson City, and Virginia City, but they are dry, dusty, unsophisticated towns, not too far removed from the old west, and are nothing like what you are used to. The nearest thing might be Lake Las Vegas which is pretty expensive, but it's more like a Hollywood set than a real town.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:19 PM

2,715 posts, read 7,440,413 times
I know someone who has 2 acres in Pahrump in the outskirts of town. Has a few neighbors and no crime. Everyone leaves their door unlocked and even keys in the cars. I wouldn't live there myself because I like the city, but to each their own.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:43 AM

54 posts, read 146,786 times
The only downtown we have is fremont street off LV Blvd and Henderson has a downtown (water street).

Even though you hear about different areas of las vegas ie: summerlin, green valley etc, they don't have a downtown area, shops/restaurants are spread out all over, there is no real distinction between them other than location (east side/west side).

Vegas and its surroundings are just one big sprawl with strip malls /restaurants scattered throughout. Most of these areas you hear about basically looks the same, of course there are sometimes subtle differences, like the older areas have more trees, maybe the streets wind a bit, maybe there is an incline/hill but no major differences.

This is one of the things I don't like about Las Vegas.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 AM

150 posts, read 565,422 times
I agree. Vegas does not lend itself to a small town feel. It is an urban city with suburbs (such as Summerlin, which is a master planned community within Las Vegas). Boulder would be the closest I guess.

Other than that all the cities surrounding Las Vegas (NLV and Henderson) are so embedded they really just feel like another suburban area of Vegas.

Personally we are looking for the small town feel after retiring and are heading all the way north in Nevada to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or