Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 05:25 PM

28 posts, read 94,398 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Vegas area and I am a hugh animal rights person and animal lover in general. How Pet Friendly are the areas? Are some areas more so than others? Thanks for any information on dogs and the area. This is very important to me b-4 relocating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,022,768 times
we LOVE pets....specialy Yorkies.....de tastes like chicken

seriously....I hate pets cause they tek the bed away from me...I've threatened to send em away to camp but they don't believe me

More seriously.....it's a very pet friendly area [unless 2 dawgs, 3 cats and an indeterminate # of rabbits is why the neighbors don't speak to us.]

Old 09-08-2008, 08:24 PM

81 posts, read 259,830 times
The weather is perfect here for pets, you can but the cat box out on the balcony and never have to find litter tracked through the living room again....

Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,561,189 times
Depends on what pet friendly means. If you mean plenty of dog parks? There may well be more in Vegas then I ever seen in any city. The ones in Henderson tend to be micro scopic in size compared to the large overall park size. Henderson is stingy like that. Idiots !!

If you mean pet friendly by acceptance in various places? Well You can bring your pets into any Walgreens, any pet store, even Home Depot is ok with it if you keep them in a carriage. In Boulder City there are a couple of restaurants that allow pets. I patron them often. Milos Wine Cafe is one. Friday and Sat. night is when parents dine with their well behaved dogs. There sometimes are a dozen dogs sharing dinner with their parents always looking up for scraps. The Waitresses bring out ice cold water for each dog and sometimes give them bisquits.

As far as leashs? No it is not friendly. Most all dog parks have a sign saying you could be arrested for not having a leash. I doubt that has ever happened but I have been accosted by farm animals in blue for playing ball with my dogs....guns drawn. Sunset Park is the worse. If you let your dog out of the car without a leash, within seconds the oink oinks swarm on you like flies on S***. Other parks are not so bad. I have one nice park I will not say here that I have never been bothered for no leash. There are many dog owners who frequent this place for this very reason. Because they are never hassled for playing ball with their dogs.

I believe it is generally known that Desert Breeze Park has the best dog park anywhere around. Its huge with people shaded benches and doggie water fountians.

Unlike people health care here which is the worst in America, veterinary care here is surprisingly rated quite high among large American cities. Animals get better treatment then humans here it seems.

As far as apartments, most accept pets now. They have to, they are all hurting for renters so they have to change policy if they want to fill their rooms. While hotels/motels across America have become so much more pet friendly over the years because 80% of us travel with our pets, the % of pet friendly hotels is not high here. That is because so many rooms in the resort corridor cant take pets for obvious reasons.

Hope that helps some

Doggies are the greatest !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:35 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,561,189 times
Oh yea.....Something new comers dont think of. With the extreme heat here you can not walk your dog on the streets during day hours and a few hours into the dark. The road surface becomes so hot that dogs can burn their pads.

It is way too hot outside for dogs and cats. Do not tie them outdoors. And NEVER NEVER NEVER leave them in a car when the ambient temp is above 75.

If you are able to stand the severe brightness of the daytime sun, your dog cant and has no way to tell you. Both my dogs wear a hat with just the visor if the sun is up. The visors block the sun from their delicate eyes and they will love you for it.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:24 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,408,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Depends on what pet friendly means. If you mean plenty of dog parks? There may well be more in Vegas then I ever seen in any city. The ones in Henderson tend to be micro scopic in size compared to the large overall park size. Henderson is stingy like that. Idiots !!

If you mean pet friendly by acceptance in various places? Well You can bring your pets into any Walgreens, any pet store, even Home Depot is ok with it if you keep them in a carriage. In Boulder City there are a couple of restaurants that allow pets. I patron them often. Milos Wine Cafe is one. Friday and Sat. night is when parents dine with their well behaved dogs. There sometimes are a dozen dogs sharing dinner with their parents always looking up for scraps. The Waitresses bring out ice cold water for each dog and sometimes give them bisquits.

As far as leashs? No it is not friendly. Most all dog parks have a sign saying you could be arrested for not having a leash. I doubt that has ever happened but I have been accosted by farm animals in blue for playing ball with my dogs....guns drawn. Sunset Park is the worse. If you let your dog out of the car without a leash, within seconds the oink oinks swarm on you like flies on S***. Other parks are not so bad. I have one nice park I will not say here that I have never been bothered for no leash. There are many dog owners who frequent this place for this very reason. Because they are never hassled for playing ball with their dogs.

I believe it is generally known that Desert Breeze Park has the best dog park anywhere around. Its huge with people shaded benches and doggie water fountians.

Unlike people health care here which is the worst in America, veterinary care here is surprisingly rated quite high among large American cities. Animals get better treatment then humans here it seems.

As far as apartments, most accept pets now. They have to, they are all hurting for renters so they have to change policy if they want to fill their rooms. While hotels/motels across America have become so much more pet friendly over the years because 80% of us travel with our pets, the % of pet friendly hotels is not high here. That is because so many rooms in the resort corridor cant take pets for obvious reasons.

Hope that helps some

Doggies are the greatest !!!!!!!!!!!!
as usual, i agree w/ a lot here...but have my differences w/ some of this

IMHO, desert breeze is most definitely not the best park...too small, no shade (aside from the common area...which is nice, but trees are better ). for me, dog fanciers is better in all respects; huge runs, multiple tables, full size trees, light in till 11pm, good people - but this does come from a large dog point of view (my two boys combined out weigh me by about 20lbs...and i weigh in around 200lbs). i agree w/ the remarks on sunset though....for as much as it is touted as 'the' dog park....it is relatively small and really doesn't seem to be dog friendly outside the the official dog park (again, speaking from a point of view of having big dogs off leash)

but i digress....Milo's is the bomb-digity. good selection of wines, nice apps, extremely dog friendly (they let me, my previous girl friend, and 4 of our dogs camp out there several afternoons...and the wait staff always made sure the dogs were not left out (w/r water or treats)). the brewery right up the road is just as friendly and has some really decent brews...tailored for HOT weather, but good none the less. i wish there were more places in LV proper that were that as dog friendly, but such is life in a city.

w/r to leashes, it seems to be hit or miss. i always walk my dogs off leash around the neighborhood...and now that everybody kinda knows us, i get nothing but friendly waves, etc. when ppl see us in the AM. but i have had my 'yelling' matches w/ ppl outside my area who believe all dogs must be on a leash, ALWAYS! even had some crazy lady lose her mind and scream profanities at me in front of a bunch of kids about my boys (the irony of it was the kids had been petting my dogs about 10 minutes earlier). she even called the marshal on me...second irony there is that i had crossed the street not 20 minutes earlier right in front of him w/ the dogs off leash. he grudgingly informed me of the 'law' and proceeded to go about his business of rousing transients out of the park. so yeah...always have them leashed, unless you know the ppl and the area - provided you trust the dogs

veterinary medicine here is really good....and i unfortunately have the experience to comment. my american bulldog tore his ACL...we received superb care including rehab and now, a couple months later i have a fully functional, although partially retarded, dog again (to be fair, he was an idiot b4 the surgery )

as DS pointed out, though...it is a desert here. be sure to keep that in mind w/ your pooches and they will be fine.

**i also want to note, that if you like to hike w/ your dogs, there are plenty of places around here...just be respectful to others who may not like dogs and be sure to pick up after them.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:24 AM

13 posts, read 34,890 times
Las Vegas is pretty average in the "pet friendly" arena. Henderson and Summerlin are pretty pet friendly, with several outdoor sitting areas and walking paths. Las Vegas and North Las Vegas, less so. It's the desert, so the most grass you're going to find anywhere in town is at the parks.

If you are going to be renting, most places have a 2 pet limit with a weight limit of about 70 lbs or so.

There are a few shopping areas like The District in Henderson and Town Center on the south Las Vegas strip that welcome dogs. As mentioned above, the summer heat is the biggest concern for dog owners. You just learn to like early mornings and late evening walks.

I prefer Henderson parks. They are clean and well maintained, there are plenty of "doggie depot" bag dispensers, many have the gound level drining fountain for the dogs, and they allow you to walk your dog on the walking trails. (Sunset Park and other clark county parks do not.)

Old 09-09-2008, 12:33 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,647,781 times
IMHO Desert Breeze is the worst dog park in town. Unless you want your Yorkie to become a Pit Bull's appetizer, I wouldn't go anywhere near it. Very few big dog owners there respect the size restrictions on each section. My favorite dog parks are Barkin' Basin (Alexander & Tenaya - each section is 1 acre) and Joe Zaher (large sections, full grass - just off of the Summerlin Parkway) Sports Park. There are also a couple of pet festivals, the largest one being Pet'a'Palooza. I don't know about restaurants, but the Einstein Brothers Bagels in my part of town puts out water and doggie bagels.

I don't know if they have a Yorkie group for sure, but check out Meetup.com. They have lots of dog groups.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 PM

150 posts, read 634,776 times
Pet Friendly. Yes. Watch walking them on hot pavement.

I have to disagree with some that think off leash is fine and dandy. I have had dogs for 40 years. I keep my dog on leash even in pet stores or doggy events. She stays well behaved.

I had my dog on leash in our front yard recently back from our walk and a dog from the neighborhood at the mailbox with it's owner ran all the way to our yard and started attacking my dog. I also got bit by the dog.

The owner could not figure out why their precious little dog would do that because their dog is always so well behaved.

I am sorry, but no matter how friendly you think your dog is they are not 100% predictable especially when they get excited. Also a unleashed dog can quickly terrify a leashed dog. I trust my dog but that has nothing to do with it.

Leash laws do exist for a reason. I am not saying the blue public servants should jump all over people, but if your dog is not in a leash free area, one should be responsible and keep their dogs leashed no matter how cute and loving JoJo might be. Shoot JoJo may want to run over and sniff a properly leashed dog, who may not appreciate the sniff. Again, it is a common sense responsible owner safety issue.

Plus who wants their dog to dart out into traffic and get run over?

Old 09-09-2008, 12:58 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,408,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasResident View Post
Pet Friendly. Yes. Watch walking them on hot pavement.

I have to disagree with some that think off leash is fine and dandy. I have had dogs for 40 years. I keep my dog on leash even in pet stores or doggy events. She stays well behaved.

I had my dog on leash in our front yard recently back from our walk and a dog from the neighborhood at the mailbox with it's owner ran all the way to our yard and started attacking my dog. I also got bit by the dog.

The owner could not figure out why their precious little dog would do that because their dog is always so well behaved.

I am sorry, but no matter how friendly you think your dog is they are not 100% predictable especially when they get excited. Also a unleashed dog can quickly terrify a leashed dog. I trust my dog but that has nothing to do with it.

Leash laws do exist for a reason. I am not saying the blue public servants should jump all over people, but if your dog is not in a leash free area, one should be responsible and keep their dogs leashed no matter how cute and loving JoJo might be. Shoot JoJo may want to run over and sniff a properly leashed dog, who may not appreciate the sniff. Again, it is a common sense responsible owner safety issue.

Plus who wants their dog to dart out into traffic and get run over?
i respect your opinion on this, as many feel the way you do. and i understand your sentiments about traffic...as my dog did get hit by a car when he was a pup - while he was on a leash (a friend was walking him and the lil guy stepped of a curb my friend was waiting at). IMHO, it is better to have verbal control of your dog than to trust a leash 100%. (for your piece of mind, the dogs do go on leash in high traffic areas...as well as in pet stores, at festivals, etc.)

but in the end, we'll have to agree to disagree on this as i have had this discussion too many times and know that it ends right where it began.

sorry to hear about the attack on you and your dog....hope it wasn't too serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas