U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2008, 09:38 PM
 
42 posts, read 130,639 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

My mother is flying over from the UK in October and one of her lifelong dreams has been to go western riding, its her first ever visit to the US. I have read all sorts of horror stories about Sagebush Ranch and its associated names. Can anyone recommend a reputable place for us to do this, we are happy to drive out of Vegas to get the right place.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2008, 10:09 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,515,312 times
Reputation: 2661
If she has a seat and you just want a trail ride I think Bonnie Springs runs some reasonable ones.

There is also an outfit across from Red Rock Canyon...Don't know the name though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2008, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,425 posts, read 43,552,501 times
Reputation: 10329
Olecapt has those 2 right. I also dont remember the name of the larger place across from red rock. Actually it is closer to Calico Basin. Bonny Springs has a real nice place with good trails. They have many options to choose from.......from an hour simple ride to a lunch or dinner 3 hour Cowboy ride with food provided. She will also enjoy Bonny Springs.

Also Cowboy Trail Rides run by a church about a mile from me. They keep the Horses there which I enjoy slowing or stopping to look at every single day along with their one lone Cow. But they ride in Red Rock. They do a BBQ ride which might thrill you.
Cowboy Trail Rides Las Vegas,NV Horseback Riding Tours in Redrock Canyon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 02:05 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 30,999,596 times
Reputation: 5359
Don't know anything about this but it looks like something I'd like to do.

Boss Lady Ranch ~ Arenas, Film Location and Las Vegas Equestrian Events Jump Course

Also, you and she would love Zion National Park, in Utah, and they do trail rides there at the Lodge. Zion is only 2 - 3 hours away. It's a nice easy drive, and very scenic. In the town of Springdale at the park entrance is the Bit n Spur restaurant. Best Mexican food you'll find anywhere. And a stop in St. George, UT, to have breakfast or brunch at the Bear Paw Cafe is well worth it too.

For a really memorable ride, take her to Bryce Canyon, Utah, and do the trail ride down to the bottom of the canyon. The cowboy guides are pretty entertaining too. Both Bryce and Zion are on the must see list for all European tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,425 posts, read 43,552,501 times
Reputation: 10329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Don't know anything about this but it looks like something I'd like to do.

Boss Lady Ranch ~ Arenas, Film Location and Las Vegas Equestrian Events Jump Course

Also, you and she would love Zion National Park, in Utah, and they do trail rides there at the Lodge. Zion is only 2 - 3 hours away. It's a nice easy drive, and very scenic. In the town of Springdale at the park entrance is the Bit n Spur restaurant. Best Mexican food you'll find anywhere. And a stop in St. George, UT, to have breakfast or brunch at the Bear Paw Cafe is well worth it too.

For a really memorable ride, take her to Bryce Canyon, Utah, and do the trail ride down to the bottom of the canyon. The cowboy guides are pretty entertaining too. Both Bryce and Zion are on the must see list for all European tourists.
Oh Buzz now your talkin. The Bear Claw Cafe. Takes forever to get your food cause it is only made when ordered. No frozen bags of anything in that kitchen. Simply fresh great tasting food. Sunday mornings you will find quite the wait though, in the area of an hour or more. They have the largest menu on earth. The menu is about 12 pages long.

And yes the trail rides at Zion. When my Mom came to make her every 5 years visit in April that exactly where we took her. I dont eat Mexican but usually eat at the Pioneer. Go have a sandwich at the Springdale Market too. Fresh made apple cider and ice cream in addition to sandwiches. And of courst go see Zion. It sucks this time of year cause you cant take your car in so we only go in the winter. The idiots wont let dogs on their silly little trolly so I wont go. Id rather sit next to 100 dogs then just one bad kid screaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 30,999,596 times
Reputation: 5359
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Oh Buzz now your talkin. The Bear Claw Cafe. Takes forever to get your food cause it is only made when ordered. No frozen bags of anything in that kitchen. Simply fresh great tasting food. Sunday mornings you will find quite the wait though, in the area of an hour or more. They have the largest menu on earth. The menu is about 12 pages long.

And yes the trail rides at Zion. When my Mom came to make her every 5 years visit in April that exactly where we took her. I dont eat Mexican but usually eat at the Pioneer. Go have a sandwich at the Springdale Market too. Fresh made apple cider and ice cream in addition to sandwiches. And of courst go see Zion. It sucks this time of year cause you cant take your car in so we only go in the winter. The idiots wont let dogs on their silly little trolly so I wont go. Id rather sit next to 100 dogs then just one bad kid screaming.
Yeppers. We have a bumbleberry pie in the freezer right now from Springdale's Bumbleberry Restaurant. We were there over Labor Day. We ate at Cracker Barrel in St. George too. I still don't understand why we don't have one of those in Las Vegas. I'd put it out by the Silverton.

If the OP doesn't mind driving a little farther, the best ride we've done is the one in Bryce Canyon. We've done the rim trail ride too, but the ride down to the bottom and back is the best. We rode at Yosemite once too. That was fun, and talk about scenic. But Yosemite is several hours away. I still say Bryce is best though, and the scenery getting there is fantastic.

In fact, LouB, if you have time, take her on the Grand Circle Tour:

Grand Circle Tour of Arizona and Utah (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rossuk/Hol95.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,425 posts, read 43,552,501 times
Reputation: 10329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Yeppers. We have a bumbleberry pie in the freezer right now from Springdale's Bumbleberry Restaurant. We were there over Labor Day. We ate at Cracker Barrel in St. George too. I still don't understand why we don't have one of those in Las Vegas. I'd put it out by the Silverton.

If the OP doesn't mind driving a little farther, the best ride we've done is the one in Bryce Canyon. We've done the rim trail ride too, but the ride down to the bottom and back is the best. We rode at Yosemite once too. That was fun, and talk about scenic. But Yosemite is several hours away. I still say Bryce is best though, and the scenery getting there is fantastic.

In fact, LouB, if you have time, take her on the Grand Circle Tour:

Grand Circle Tour of Arizona and Utah (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rossuk/Hol95.htm - broken link)
Ok how bout the pie restaurant out 18 just before the Mountian Meadows Massacre site in the tiny town of Veyo. They have hundreds of pies to purchase. People go there from all over just for their pies. I like their breakfast. Oh yea and they sell REAL brownies, not cake cut into squares. All HOME MADE !

Your right about Cracker Barrel. But I say that very often about businesses around the country and why they never come here. We go to Cracker Barrel on the road because they are RV friendly meaning all the restaurants have RV parking. Have you ever been to the Wildlife Museum next to the Cracker Barrel? Something real nice to see, especially for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 30,999,596 times
Reputation: 5359
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ok how bout the pie restaurant out 18 just before the Mountain Meadows Massacre site in the tiny town of Veyo. They have hundreds of pies to purchase. People go there from all over just for their pies. I like their breakfast. Oh yea and they sell REAL brownies, not cake cut into squares. All HOME MADE !

Your right about Cracker Barrel. But I say that very often about businesses around the country and why they never come here. We go to Cracker Barrel on the road because they are RV friendly meaning all the restaurants have RV parking. Have you ever been to the Wildlife Museum next to the Cracker Barrel? Something real nice to see, especially for kids.
Yeah, man. Veyo!!! They make Marie Calendar's look like amateurs. We drive out just for the pies, but we'll usually have lunch. It's in the country, so ya gotta put up with a few flies, but we always stock up on pies and freeze them. Used to fish at Enterprise too.



(pssst...we don't mention the massacre though...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 06:57 PM
 
42 posts, read 130,639 times
Reputation: 16
Thanks for all your responses, we are also looking at another option of combining the ride with a visit to the West Rim of the Canyon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 30,999,596 times
Reputation: 5359
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouB View Post
Thanks for all your responses, we are also looking at another option of combining the ride with a visit to the West Rim of the Canyon.
It is not impossible to find a last minute cancellation on those Grand Canyon trips (I've done it twice), but usually a horseback trip to the bottom has to be reserved about a year in advance. The trip is an overnighter in cabins at the bottom at Phantom Ranch too. It may be mules and not horses, but "que so what, so what." At least you don't have to walk. But you will not be able to walk for a few hours after that ride anyway, unless you're an avid horse person. (Person of the horse persuasion?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top