U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 04:51 PM

2,404 posts, read 7,166,876 times
yeh, but most of those community pools go unused, usually your the only one using them...the one in my neighborhood is always deserted...the ones that we always pass by are usually deserted too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 05:19 PM

8,670 posts, read 6,565,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
yeh, but most of those community pools go unused, usually your the only one using them...the one in my neighborhood is always deserted...the ones that we always pass by are usually deserted too...
This is so true. There are 2 pools here and I can't believe that when we go swimming we are usually the only ones in it. I guess maybe it is the novelty?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:50 PM

i think people are afraid of what others will think of them in a swim suit or people are too busy to swim or they just want to keep to themselves and not swim with other people around...

Old 10-01-2008, 06:18 PM

15,758 posts, read 19,186,883 times
There are also townhomes that are in between. They can actually be hard to get hold of. There are not a lot and they cost similar to Single Families. Often have significant home owner charges.

Note that pool usage varies all over the map. There is one out by Santa Fe Station that has a regular crew of seniors who float in there all day long to be replaced by a crew of younger folk as it gets to evening. And a couple of the big condo complexes with the fancy pools are actually very full on the weekend. Others are rumored to never have had a soul in them.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:56 PM

9,315 posts, read 13,857,842 times
i know that when we were looking at homes, anything with a community pool was always packed with kids!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:55 AM

71 posts, read 110,198 times
Let's compare a 2/2 condo vs a 2/2 townhouse vs 2/2 SFH, all in the same neighbourhood and with similar conditions, except for that in condo you have neighbours above or below you as well as next to you, in hownhouse you share a wall with your next door neighbours, and in SFH you have a small yard of your own. Which one will fetch the highest rent? I suppose it is the SFH, but by how much? Which one is easier to find renter?

Old 10-02-2008, 02:10 AM

i live in a townhouse it has a back yard and a front patio yard...

Old 10-02-2008, 06:34 AM

9,315 posts, read 13,857,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt8070 View Post
Let's compare a 2/2 condo vs a 2/2 townhouse vs 2/2 SFH, all in the same neighbourhood and with similar conditions, except for that in condo you have neighbours above or below you as well as next to you, in hownhouse you share a wall with your next door neighbours, and in SFH you have a small yard of your own. Which one will fetch the highest rent? I suppose it is the SFH, but by how much? Which one is easier to find renter?
I would think that a 2br sfr would be the worst in this situation as most people looking at houses want 3 or more bedrooms. I think the 2br sfrs stay on the market longer too

Old 11-18-2008, 05:26 PM

11 posts, read 26,226 times
I would like to cast my ballot:

3 bedroom house would be the way to go. Way higher demand for that than a 1 bed condo.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:40 PM

322 posts, read 770,402 times
I just keep looking at the long term. 30 year mortgage. Where would you want to be in 30 years? House or Condo? Look at Condos that are 30 years old and tell me have they appreciated in value?

Of course this dosn't apply in Vegas where nothing is older than 15 years.

I just cant see buying a condo, living in in for 1-5 years, and reselling it and breaking even. And I have never met anyone that has pulled off the above scenario, in Vegas or Michigan. Run the numbers all you want, compare tax rates and property values and all that, but show me 1 person, just 1 person, that has bought a Condo, lived in it from between 1 and 5 years, sold it, and broke even.

I have met several people however, that have bought condos, are stuck in their condos, cant resell their condos, have massive maintenance fees on their condos, and wish they never bought a condo.

*disclaimer* I am 30 years old, by the time me and my peer group starting buying stuff like houses and condo's it was the height of the bubble. Also, my mindset (and that of my friends) is rather 'mobile' none of us actually plan on living anywhere for more than 5 years. Buying a house/condo is a way to lower monthly cost, live there for 2-4 years, sell and move on. I choose to rent, even though the monthly cost is higher, i know i wont be stuck when its time to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: