U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-09-2008, 11:27 PM

302 posts, read 806,163 times

Advertisements

Why do they put a/c on the roof here in Vegas? why not on the ground?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 PM

14,432 posts, read 10,300,108 times
They do both. The house we're renting now has it on the roof, but the house we were in last year had it on the side of the house.

It might have something to do with the age - this house was built in the 80s, while the other one was built in 2005.

/shrug

Old 10-09-2008, 11:36 PM

1,354 posts, read 2,867,568 times
Yes, the older homes have the roof top, which is more expensive to replace. They can put one on the ground, I believe, but it is very costly to do that.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:46 PM

302 posts, read 806,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Yes, the older homes have the roof top, which is more expensive to replace. They can put one on the ground, I believe, but it is very costly to do that.
why is it very costly to do that?
which one is cheaper ? On the roof or on the ground?

Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 PM

15,756 posts, read 21,039,425 times
There are a number of variables. We for instance live in an all electric home. We have two roof mounted heat pumps. Cheapest and easiest way to build an all electric.

Another version is to do the same thing with a ground mounted condenser. In general ground mounted are a little more efficient as the whole unit is not exposed to direct sun and the condenser is shaded a good part of the day. Howner you now need a separate enclosure for the condenser and a relatively long pair of freon lines from the condenser to the attic mounted unit.

Next you have gas furnaces combined with the AC unit. Now the interior unit is located in the garage or attic...Attic is smaller less expensive...garage in larger and more expensive homes. Condenser is generally mounted along side the house ideally on the shady side.

That is most of them though there are condo variants where the heat comes from pumping the hot water from the hot water tank through a heat exchanger in the duct work.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:10 AM

1,354 posts, read 2,867,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Hawaii View Post
why is it very costly to do that?
which one is cheaper ? On the roof or on the ground?
They have to redo most everything, because it will be coming from a different direction.

It is about $2000 to $4000 to replace the ground one, depends on what seer and efficiency you want. The roof top is +$5000. The roof top involves a lot more work to replace it. You also need a crane to take down the old and install the new one.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:48 AM

11,553 posts, read 20,476,787 times
It isn't the age of the house. Most of the houses I've lived in have had it on the roof. This house has two on the roof and it was built in 2001. It really didn't need to have two but I'm glad it does. My last house had it on the side and it was built in 1989. That house was a two story with one A/C which was not adequate for the second story.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:11 PM

623 posts, read 818,848 times
Olecapt described it pretty well. I do heating and a/c changeouts on the side and I have to say I prefer rooftop units, they are also cheaper to install than the split systems.

The problem I have with split systems is they always seem to leak freon and if the installing contractors dont properly braze the lines, evacuate the system and add the correct charge, then you end up with a junk system.
Rooftop units are completely assembled at the factory, properly.

I also prefer heat pumps to gas heat, I removed the rooftop gas unit off of my house and installed a heat pump in its place.

Split systems do come in higher efficiencies then package units but with high efficiency also comes a more complicated and sometimes more expensive unit to repair.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:15 PM

623 posts, read 818,848 times
It used to be with a split system, if you had to replace just the outside unit, you could.

Now that the new units come in a 13 seer minimum efficiency, you must also change the inside coil on the furnace to match the new outdoor unit, this could get really pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas