U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 AM
 
Location: On our boat!
5,676 posts, read 10,188,032 times
Reputation: 3181
Default Move Or Not To Las Vegas??

We are an older couple (wife/60-me/59) who are living just north of Charlotte, NC. Been here 1 year this month and don't find the area nearly as interesting as we thought it would be. Moved here from the Denver, CO area....got tired of some pretty snowy/cold winters there (5 1/2 yrs). Wife got a descent paying job 3 months after we arrived here. I'm still looking for a job! The job market here for me is pretty lousy!
We visited Florida and it was just too hot and humid for us. And, due to my hip replacement and rotor cup/shoulder surgeries, can not live in snowy/cold weather again.
We have been to Vegas during the mid of summer and know just how hot it can get, BUT without the humidity, it would be better for us....we hope anyway. We have also been there a number of times in Dec during the National Finals Rodeo and LOVED being there.....I'm a former rodeo cowboy (but, PLEASE no bashing of rodeo in my Thread). We also love boating/fishing so we guess Lake Mead would be perfect for us? Part of my wife's family lives in So Calif, so that would be a close to drive from/to. We know that my wife would take at a pay cut moving there, but that would be ok. And, I would do ok finding a job fairly quickly. We also know that a number of Seniors live there, so we could make some friends. We are planning on a move in Jan 09 or a couple of months later.
So, to you folks living in Vegas, does it sound like Vegas would be a good move for us to make??? Thanks for any help/suggestions that can be provided.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2008, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
9,486 posts, read 14,546,961 times
Reputation: 2404
what type of job would you be looking for?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 02:17 PM
 
Location: On our boat!
5,676 posts, read 10,188,032 times
Reputation: 3181
Purchasing/Inventory Control-Inventory Management. Bad thing is, I don't have a college degree or certification for my career. Wife has an AA and a Bachelors Degree in Business/Accounting, plus years of experience. I also have years of experience. We have looked on one popular job website and found a few "possible" jobs for me. But, we won't apply for anything until we move there. We know that employers want to hire people living in the area they are in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
what type of job would you be looking for?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 08:33 AM
 
Location: On our boat!
5,676 posts, read 10,188,032 times
Reputation: 3181
Would not only like to hear how nice or ? that living in Vegas is for folks 55+, but also hear from some folks who own a boat and have been on Lake Mead. Is it a nice lake for boating, fishing and tubing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,380 posts, read 22,500,812 times
Reputation: 8556
I no longer own a boat [happiest day in my life was ........you know the rest.....]

BUT when I did, Lake Mead was a FABULOUS lake for boating albiet a little tricky.....the moment there are little whitecaps on the water you should be home in bed cause it's gonna blow like mad.....other times the water is so smooth and slick that your water skies will slide out from under you in a turn.......fishing I know nothing about......its great for camping [755 miles of shore line]
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 01:32 PM
 
Location: On our boat!
5,676 posts, read 10,188,032 times
Reputation: 3181
Don't really understand your statement below "I no longer own a boat..............glad you got rid of it or miss it????
For us, we absolutely love boating/fishing at age 60. Yes, we know the wind can BLOW like mad in Vegas. We were in Vegas on a Memorial Day weekend and the day before we left (drove back to CO), the wind was really (and I mean REALLY) blowing. Just something that comes along with living there. As far a "white caps" on Lake Mead, we know about boating in wind/white caps! While living in Colorado, we would check the wind before even leaving our house with our boat. If it was too windy, we'd stay at home. Problem with camping, there are no trees along the shoreline of Lake Mead......could/would get mighty HOT, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I no longer own a boat [happiest day in my life was ........you know the rest.....]

BUT when I did, Lake Mead was a FABULOUS lake for boating albiet a little tricky.....the moment there are little whitecaps on the water you should be home in bed cause it's gonna blow like mad.....other times the water is so smooth and slick that your water skies will slide out from under you in a turn.......fishing I know nothing about......its great for camping [755 miles of shore line]
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,380 posts, read 22,500,812 times
Reputation: 8556
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Don't really understand your statement below "I no longer own a boat..............glad you got rid of it or miss it????
For us, we absolutely love boating/fishing at age 60. Yes, we know the wind can BLOW like mad in Vegas. We were in Vegas on a Memorial Day weekend and the day before we left (drove back to CO), the wind was really (and I mean REALLY) blowing. Just something that comes along with living there. As far a "white caps" on Lake Mead, we know about boating in wind/white caps! While living in Colorado, we would check the wind before even leaving our house with our boat. If it was too windy, we'd stay at home. Problem with camping, there are no trees along the shoreline of Lake Mead......could/would get mighty HOT, right?
the 2nd happiest day of my life was when I bought my first boat.......the happiest day of my life was when I sold the last one ......a hole in the water that you pour money into......etc etc etc......[ALL said with a sense of humor]
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,380 posts, read 22,500,812 times
Reputation: 8556
it surpasses 'mighty hot" on Lake Mead in the summer......spring and fall are great and winter is do-able.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
3,731 posts, read 5,706,831 times
Reputation: 1240
We've spent many an enjoyable afternoon on the neighbor's boat on Lake Mead over the years.

Summer it is terribly hot, this time of year and the Spring it is wonderful. The beaches (very small and sometimes full of people) are rocky, not very sandy and awful HOT in summer. Fishing is meager...

If I was very keen on boating, tubing, fishing, etc., Lake Mead (and Las Vegas) would NOT be my destination of choice....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 04:15 PM
 
Location: On our boat!
5,676 posts, read 10,188,032 times
Reputation: 3181
Don't quite understand your posting to me below!
In the first sentence you tell us "We've spent many an enjoyable afternoon on the neighbors boat on Lake Mead over the years."
THEN, you say to us, "If I was very keen on boating, tubing, fishing, etc., Lake Mead (and Las Vegas) would NOT be my destination choice."
So.........which is it? Have you lived in Las Vegas so long that you don't like it anymore (plus Lake Mead), or???? Conflicting statements to us or are we just not understanding you correctly???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
We've spent many an enjoyable afternoon on the neighbor's boat on Lake Mead over the years.

Summer it is terribly hot, this time of year and the Spring it is wonderful. The beaches (very small and sometimes full of people) are rocky, not very sandy and awful HOT in summer. Fishing is meager...

If I was very keen on boating, tubing, fishing, etc., Lake Mead (and Las Vegas) would NOT be my destination of choice....
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top