Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions from others on future of Las Vegas, Henderson separating from Las Vegas, Vegas to become Inland Empire wasteland, neighborhoods close to strip to become run down

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

What is your projected view on Vegas neighborhoods in the future?

For example, correct me if I am wrong, but I can't help but thinking Henderson being somewhat separate from Las Vegas, might hold up better, as I would imagine they have their own mayor and local government with slightly different police presense procedures, etc., etc., meaning perhaps it has more long-term safety and less chance of going downhill than other parts of Clark County. Correct me if I'm wrong on that thought.

I also have a feeling that areas too far from the center might become like an Inland Empire of wasteland feel even though it is newer housing now. However, things too close to the Strip might get more and more shady as it attracts people wanting to be close to the action, and the more criminal elements among it. (Just a feeling, maybe I'm wrong).

Anyways, just thoughts on all of this, and curious as to others input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What is your projected view on Vegas neighborhoods in the future?

For example, correct me if I am wrong, but I can't help but thinking Henderson being somewhat separate from Las Vegas, might hold up better, as I would imagine they have their own mayor and local government with slightly different police presense procedures, etc., etc., meaning perhaps it has more long-term safety and less chance of going downhill than other parts of Clark County. Correct me if I'm wrong on that thought.

I also have a feeling that areas too far from the center might become like an Inland Empire of wasteland feel even though it is newer housing now. However, things too close to the Strip might get more and more shady as it attracts people wanting to be close to the action, and the more criminal elements among it. (Just a feeling, maybe I'm wrong).

Anyways, just thoughts on all of this, and curious as to others input.
Then again Henderson is strictly a bedroom community with no real economic base of its own. The strip is in the County and much of the growth competitive with Henderson is in the County.

So do you bet on the bedrooms or the growth engine?

Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
I don't think any part of Vegas could become like the Inland Empire. There is just not enough space out here for that to happen. Not to mention the awesome deals on houses, particularly in the NW. A nice fat house with an extremely affordable payment makes a long commute (of course no commute out here is really that long) more bearable. The IE sank for the same reason that Palmdale/Lancaster and Stockton did. It's just too far of a commute into LA or SF. If any of the development outside of the valley (Coyote Springs, White Hills AZ, or to the south in Jean or Sloan not that there was any development going on their) had gone any further then I would say they could very likely end up like the IE/Lancaster/Stockton. Nothing inside of the valley though, IMO.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:13 PM

78 posts, read 342,554 times
If you look at more established Cities...(Las Vegas is still very young) Cities grow outward because land is less expensive and people can afford homes and take the commute. Eventually urban cores re -develop and the tide comes in. People move inward. San Diego (Gaslamp), parts of New York, (Hells Kitchen and Chelsea) Downtown LA is seeing a rebirth in popularity. We are already seeing a movement locallly. Generation X & Y are not into long commutes. They often have more money than time, and often want convenience...and are not opposed to transitional markets. We are not there completely, but if we follow each and every other market....it will not be too long and the Strip area becomes less and less shady because of proximity.

Of course, its hard for some to believe, but we will eventually get there.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:48 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityModern View Post
If you look at more established Cities...(Las Vegas is still very young) Cities grow outward because land is less expensive and people can afford homes and take the commute. Eventually urban cores re -develop and the tide comes in. People move inward. San Diego (Gaslamp), parts of New York, (Hells Kitchen and Chelsea) Downtown LA is seeing a rebirth in popularity. We are already seeing a movement locallly. Generation X & Y are not into long commutes. They often have more money than time, and often want convenience...and are not opposed to transitional markets. We are not there completely, but if we follow each and every other market....it will not be too long and the Strip area becomes less and less shady because of proximity.

Of course, its hard for some to believe, but we will eventually get there.
It would be nice but it is not very likely. Las Vegas has always had good addresses downtown. Scotch 80, McNeil, the Alta corridor, LVCC. And there are a nice set of homes between Charleston and Sahara from Rancho to Valley view.

But a gentrification? of where? Huntridge? Some of the inner eastside?

Don't really see enough potential to make it worth while. Young who wish to move close may well be more attracted by the downtown high rises which will sell real cheap real soon.

Note that there really is not much of a commute problem in Las Vegas. There are no hour and a half commutes. You can buy in the suburbs and be 20 minutes out.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:05 AM

I think it is very closed minded to think that a gentrification of a City such as ours is not likely. I specialize in Mid Century Modern homes, High rise and Downtown Las Vegas...although I work all over the Valley....many clients want an alternative to the stucco box that Vegas has to offer. Actually pick up any Vegas Magazine and you can see where the trend is headed. HD Magazine (LVs' version of Architectural Digest) always features an aesthetically pleasing home, usually in a gentrification area. Vegas Magazine, check it out - I was the featured agent in the Property Profile section (3 pages) dedicated to the subject. Check out September issue.

The net has been cast and its huge! Olecept I invite you to come along for a drive along with me some day!

Old 11-19-2008, 09:26 AM

I have to agree with Mark on this to some extent, although Jim actually already conceded the point I am to make. If you look at projects like the Holsum Lofts (I know it's lease only but it is work/live space in the arts district which would qualify), Urban Lofts @ Fremont, and Urban Lofts @11th and Carson (which is at least 80% sold out) you will see that young professionals are starting to gravitate to the more urban feel of downtown. Between the architecture, which is amazing IMO, and the culture and atmosphere that is starting to manifest itself, many young hipsters will choose to call the downtown area home.

However, the majority of families out here will never make that move. I personally would not. I would rather live in my stucco box with my large backyard and my son's good elementary school than to live closer to the strip to save 10 minutes of commute time. I would imagine that many folks with kids would feel the same way. If I really want modern, I will buy an older single story ranch style home with some land and renovate, which is basically the plan anyway as I do love the modern look but need the practicality of suburb living. Of course if we can attract more young professionals out here, that will inevitably result in more families eventually (one way or another).

Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 AM

Very true Daddy....Thats how the evloution happens if we follow the pattern of history. Singles, Double incomes with no kids, non-conformists and the like make the move first. With that follows resources and other venues. Downtown is getting a Whole foods and already has a Fresh & Easy. The reality is more and more younger people are waiting longer to have children - careers are a front and center focus...Two incomes are the necessity now. Once the change happens, the areas usually clean up, resources are in place and people have a renewed sense of security. Thats when you traditionally see more families moving there. To echo what you said...we arent there yet. You are right...the Eleventh Street Lofts and Fremont Lofts Urban Lofts Townhomes- Lofts in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Las Vegas are an AMAZING project. The mix of owners there are indeed all young professionals and on the Eleventh Street project the number of young attorneys who took up residence there is astounding. That ripples throughout Downtown. The ball is in motion.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:30 AM

Unfortunately I am of the opinion that until we diversify our economy somewhat the main demographic in that area will be mainly artists and lawyers (in all honesty I could be wrong but this is my perception). As there are only so many lawyers and artists, major revitalization is not yet possible. I would LOVE to see some major (or even mid-market really) financial, tech, and health corps open up shop downtown. That would be what it takes, IMO, to make something of any serious magnitude happen in that area. Either that or we would need a mass exodus of people out of the valley. If the population were to shrink by 75%, living closer to the center of town would be much more viable for the average family as the outskirts would in effect be empty and suburb living would not be viable or desirable for that matter. Just my 2 cents. I do find it ironic that we are talking about urbanization when just 2 years ago we were talking about suburban sprawl (Coyote Springs, White Hills, Sloan, Jean, Mesquite, etc.). How quickly things change.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:20 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityModern View Post
Very true Daddy....Thats how the evloution happens if we follow the pattern of history. Singles, Double incomes with no kids, non-conformists and the like make the move first. With that follows resources and other venues. Downtown is getting a Whole foods and already has a Fresh & Easy. The reality is more and more younger people are waiting longer to have children - careers are a front and center focus...Two incomes are the necessity now. Once the change happens, the areas usually clean up, resources are in place and people have a renewed sense of security. Thats when you traditionally see more families moving there. To echo what you said...we arent there yet. You are right...the Eleventh Street Lofts and Fremont Lofts Urban Lofts Townhomes- Lofts in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Las Vegas are an AMAZING project. The mix of owners there are indeed all young professionals and on the Eleventh Street project the number of young attorneys who took up residence there is astounding. That ripples throughout Downtown. The ball is in motion.
whole foods is seriously thinking about downtown? That is great, any ideas where?

Unfortunately the new one that just opened by my house (Town Square), is empty all the time...maybe in time it'll get busy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas